Cambridgeshire

Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cambridgeshire

Anyone from Cambridgeshire living in the US. I have been here (West Virginia) for so long now but more and more I am missing home.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:13 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cambridgeshire

Originally Posted by Janek66
Anyone from Cambridgeshire living in the US. I have been here (West Virginia) for so long now but more and more I am missing home.
I grew up in Cambridge, and my parents now live just outside Cambridge. I'm at the point now where I only miss it when I've just been. I usually get there at least once a year though, and sometimes it's work that will pay for that as our head office is there (lucky me - came all the way to the US and bagged a job with a Cambridge based company).
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I grew up in Cambridge, and my parents now live just outside Cambridge. I'm at the point now where I only miss it when I've just been. I usually get there at least once a year though, and sometimes it's work that will pay for that as our head office is there (lucky me - came all the way to the US and bagged a job with a Cambridge based company).
Lucky you! I have just had my entire family and 5 friends over here for a week at the beach, so that probably explains why I am missing it so much now.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Yes, grew up in Needingworth/St Ives area. Have been in the states for 19 years - in california!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:41 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you! I have just had my entire family and 5 friends over here for a week at the beach, so that probably explains why I am missing it so much now.
That usually does it. My parents were here for 2 weeks in August. They're both going to be retired in the next year or so, and are planning to spend 3 months a year with us - I'm sure that will make it so much harder to say goodbye.

Out of interest how long have you been here?

Last edited by neil; Sep 30th 2008 at 6:42 pm. Reason: question at end
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I grew up in Ely. I manage to get home every 2 years and friends and family come here in between. So not too bad all in all.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

That usually does it. My parents were here for 2 weeks in August. They're both going to be retired in the next year or so, and are planning to spend 3 months a year with us - I'm sure that will make it so much harder to say goodbye.

Out of interest how long have you been here?
I have been in the US for 16 years now. How about yourself?
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:44 pm
Not here much

I grew up in Ely. I manage to get home every 2 years and friends and family come here in between. So not too bad all in all.
Poor you - not much to do in Ely growing up; we always used to complain about there being nothing to do in Cambridge, but Ely...
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:46 pm
Not here much

I have been in the US for 16 years now. How about yourself?
"Only" 7 years. I'm amazed you would still get that homesick. I think of home as here now (I think, although I'm sure I still talk about going home to my parents when I visit).
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Poor you - not much to do in Ely growing up; we always used to complain about there being nothing to do in Cambridge, but Ely...
LMAO!!!! No, it was a bit like the back end of beyond. But now I am middle aged with kids I love it.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

"Only" 7 years. I'm amazed you would still get that homesick. I think of home as here now (I think, although I'm sure I still talk about going home to my parents when I visit).
When I first moved here I was homesick. But as time passed I got over it and this became my home. It has only been the last year or so where it has come back again. I am not sure I want to spend the rest of my life here.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:53 pm
Not here much

When I first moved here I was homesick. But as time passed I got over it and this became my home. It has only been the last year or so where it has come back again. I am not sure I want to spend the rest of my life here.
I can understand that. My daughter is only 1, but I'm certain she'll grow up in the US, after that I really can't say how I'll feel, although I can imagine staying at least until I retire and then deciding to change or at least split my time between countries.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can understand that. My daughter is only 1, but I'm certain she'll grow up in the US, after that I really can't say how I'll feel, although I can imagine staying at least until I retire and then deciding to change or at least split my time between countries.
What do you do? I have 4 kids ... 14 yo step son, 12 yo step daughter, 11 yo daughter and 3 yo son (hellion!). If we move back, then it will be when the older three are off on their own.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:10 pm
Not here much

What do you do? I have 4 kids ... 14 yo step son, 12 yo step daughter, 11 yo daughter and 3 yo son (hellion!). If we move back, then it will be when the older three are off on their own.
It must make it tougher to move when there are school age kids involved. The only thing that would make me think about moving back would be if we couldn't afford to live in our house any more - but we love our house, and the area we are in, and our neighbours etc. so it would be tough to leave all that. I work for a publishing company.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

It must make it tougher to move when there are school age kids involved. The only thing that would make me think about moving back would be if we couldn't afford to live in our house any more - but we love our house, and the area we are in, and our neighbours etc. so it would be tough to leave all that. I work for a publishing company.
Is your wife English too? You think Ely was dull? Should try Charles Town, WV! I like it though. I have been here long enough to find my way, source the things I miss and get involved with life in general. My kids love the UK and already have firm friends of there own there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.