British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   That's the spouse visa application finished (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/thats-spouse-visa-application-finished-866520/)

spouse of scouse Oct 13th 2015 8:11 am

That's the spouse visa application finished

and not before time.

After doing the online application, I assembled the hard copy ahead of my biometrics appointment tomorrow. Including supporting documents, 95 pages. I didn't go overboard with evidence either.

A 95 page application package, photocopied twice - 285 pages.

If I don't get this visa, someone will die :eek:

Editha Oct 13th 2015 9:33 am

Re: That's the spouse visa application finished

Well done!

curleytops Oct 13th 2015 10:00 am

Good for you Spouse, not long now.

spouse of scouse Oct 13th 2015 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11770669)
Well done!

Thanks Editha, I now know what people mean when they say they're so glad to have finished these.

spouse of scouse Oct 13th 2015 10:11 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 11770672)
Good for you Spouse, not long now.

Cheers Curleytops - I underestimated the time I'd need to do it so I left my run a bit late, but priority processing should take care of that. She says, hopefully :fingerscrossed:

rebeccajo Oct 13th 2015 10:24 am

Done as in, sent off and posted?

I'm sure it will be a relief to get it sorted.

spouse of scouse Oct 13th 2015 10:56 am

Originally Posted by rebeccajo (Post 11770684)
Done as in, sent off and posted?

I'm sure it will be a relief to get it sorted.

Ok, not quite done! I leave it all at the visa centre tomorrow, for them to send after they've added my biometric data :)

Priority processing is 3-6 working days - I'll post again when I get a decision. Which will be 'approved', of course :unsure:

Perth Oct 13th 2015 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11770699)
Ok, not quite done! I leave it all at the visa centre tomorrow, for them to send after they've added my biometric data :)

Priority processing is 3-6 working days - I'll post again when I get a decision. Which will be 'approved', of course :unsure:

Of course it will be :nod: So excited for you :thumbsup:

not2old Oct 13th 2015 9:21 pm

Your OH scouse will say something along the lines of 'about bloody time' or 'all that fuss for nothing', now lets celebrate & get a move on, get the flights booked.

Trust it all happens fast for you... good luck & do post back when visa is in your hand

michali Oct 13th 2015 9:50 pm

Well done SOS! And how great you only have to wait a few days to get the decision!

spouse of scouse Oct 14th 2015 4:04 am

Thanks Perth, not2old and Michali :thumbsup:

Errata: it takes up to 10 working days for priority processing of settlement visa applications from Australia, 3 - 6 working days is for non-settlement application.

There was a bit of a hold-up at the visa centre this morning, their digital fingerprint system was down. But all went well and the two young women who 'processed' me said I'd made their day because my application was so well prepared.

I replied that if it wasn't for the British Expats forum, I'd still be scratching my head. I love this forum.

Pollyana Oct 14th 2015 9:43 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11771317)
Thanks Perth, not2old and Michali :thumbsup:

Errata: it takes up to 10 working days for priority processing of settlement visa applications from Australia, 3 - 6 working days is for non-settlement application.

There was a bit of a hold-up at the visa centre this morning, their digital fingerprint system was down. But all went well and the two young women who 'processed' me said I'd made their day because my application was so well prepared.

I replied that if it wasn't for the British Expats forum, I'd still be scratching my head. I love this forum.

Thats what we are here for :thumbsup: And posters like you keep it going!

Lets hope everything goes smoothly now :cool:

spouse of scouse Oct 14th 2015 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11771460)
Thats what we are here for :thumbsup: And posters like you keep it going!

Lets hope everything goes smoothly now :cool:

Thanks Polly. I really would have been stuffed without the forum :starsmile:

Shirtback Oct 14th 2015 11:41 pm

Oh golly gosh & good luck etc, etc!!!

Well done for getting over that hurdle - 95 pages :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: for you.

spouse of scouse Oct 15th 2015 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 11772173)
Oh golly gosh & good luck etc, etc!!!

Well done for getting over that hurdle - 95 pages :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: for you.

Thanks Shirtback :starsmile: I'll have to have a pagan ceremony for the tree I killed :ohmy:

alexleeson Oct 15th 2015 1:32 pm

When my wife went for the appointment we were even missing an entire annex of docs, but they patiently printed the form out for us and gave time to fill it in.

We paid for priority and it arrived on the exact 10th day, but the docs showed it was approved 8 days before that!

We were then given 30 days from the approval day to fly to UK (which was in reality only 3 weeks. So it was a bit rushed and of course, buying flights with little notice is expensive.

But all settled in UK now and happy....

All should go well for you..

spouse of scouse Oct 15th 2015 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by alexleeson (Post 11772513)
When my wife went for the appointment we were even missing an entire annex of docs, but they patiently printed the form out for us and gave time to fill it in.

We paid for priority and it arrived on the exact 10th day, but the docs showed it was approved 8 days before that!

We were then given 30 days from the approval day to fly to UK (which was in reality only 3 weeks. So it was a bit rushed and of course, buying flights with little notice is expensive.

But all settled in UK now and happy....

All should go well for you..

Glad you got through it all ok Alex, and that you're enjoying being back in the UK. I was worried about booking flights at short notice too, was finding that the price difference between booking 2 or 4 weeks in advance was up to $2,000.

That, coupled with the proportionately high cost of a one-way ticket vs a return, led me to buy a fully flexible return - I'll be coming back to visit my family anyway, so it seemed to make sense.

Perth Oct 15th 2015 11:53 pm

Am on pins and needles waiting for your (good) news! Will you help me out when it's our turn next year? The thought of 95 pages makes me mental. We are pretty smart people, but I am sure there'll be something to trip us up in all that.

spouse of scouse Oct 16th 2015 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 11772936)
Am on pins and needles waiting for your (good) news! Will you help me out when it's our turn next year? The thought of 95 pages makes me mental. We are pretty smart people, but I am sure there'll be something to trip us up in all that.

Of course I'll help you! Between BE and Facebook, we'll nail it.

The online application isn't too bad, it's in sections and as you complete each section the sidebar turns green. If it's not green, you've missed something so you just go through the questions again to find what you've missed.

Another way you'll know if you've completed all the necessary questions and steps is the status of your application. Once you've created an account with Visa4UK, you can log in and out whenever you like to work on your application. If there are still questions you need to answer, or still steps you need to complete, your application status will be 'Incomplete'. Once everything's done, it will show as 'Complete'.

More than half of my application was supporting documents, showing evidence of our relationship, accommodation and financials.

Ask me anything, any time - although you might want to wait and see if mine's been successful :lol:

Perth Oct 16th 2015 11:42 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11772953)
Of course I'll help you! Between BE and Facebook, we'll nail it.

The online application isn't too bad, it's in sections and as you complete each section the sidebar turns green. If it's not green, you've missed something so you just go through the questions again to find what you've missed.

Another way you'll know if you've completed all the necessary questions and steps is the status of your application. Once you've created an account with Visa4UK, you can log in and out whenever you like to work on your application. If there are still questions you need to answer, or still steps you need to complete, your application status will be 'Incomplete'. Once everything's done, it will show as 'Complete'.

More than half of my application was supporting documents, showing evidence of our relationship, accommodation and financials.

Ask me anything, any time - although you might want to wait and see if mine's been successful :lol:

Thanks, you are a love. The part that worries me is that there is no - you forgot to send this, or we need to know more about that - it's deny the visa right off and you lose the application fee. Don't think with 95 pages you'll have that problem though!

michali Oct 16th 2015 4:50 pm

It is not a fun exercise! Sometimes they do ask for extra documents but they do not have to, so it is important to include everything and in the right format, eg original bank statements etc. I suggest you list your documents here when you are ready for us to look at and see if there is anything missing. We all survived! Until next time when we have a 71 page to fill out!

Perth Oct 16th 2015 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by michali (Post 11773414)
It is not a fun exercise! Sometimes they do ask for extra documents but they do not have to, so it is important to include everything and in the right format, eg original bank statements etc. I suggest you list your documents here when you are ready for us to look at and see if there is anything missing. We all survived! Until next time when we have a 71 page to fill out!

Thanks, michali, will do :)

spouse of scouse Oct 21st 2015 6:04 am

I've received the famous email that tells you nothing (apparently Oz Immigration do it as well, bloody sadists). But check out the last line. British Embassy Manila? I thought all applications went to the UK?

Dear spouse of scouse

Application Reference : GWF*********

A decision has been made on your application and your documents are being returned to the Visa Application Centre (VAC). You will be contacted again by the VAC once these documents have been received and they are ready for you to collect. If you have chosen to have your documents couriered to you, these will be despatched by the VAC once they have been received.

Please do not attend the application centre until you have been contacted by the VAC. UKVI contact details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-outside-uk

UK Visas and Immigration
British Embassy Manila

Perth Oct 21st 2015 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11776120)
I've received the famous email that tells you nothing (apparently Oz Immigration do it as well, bloody sadists). But check out the last line. British Embassy Manila? I thought all applications went to the UK?

Dear spouse of scouse

A decision has been made on your application and your documents are being returned to the Visa Application Centre (VAC). You will be contacted again by the VAC once these documents have been received and they are ready for you to collect. If you have chosen to have your documents couriered to you, these will be despatched by the VAC once they have been received.

Please do not attend the application centre until you have been contacted by the VAC. UKVI contact details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-outside-uk

UK Visas and Immigration
British Embassy Manila

Yes, don't you just love it that they don't tell you? Why send an email at all if you need to wait for snail mail for the answer? :rolleyes:

No clue about Manila. Maybe it's the regional office for Oz?

Anyway :fingerscrossed: for good news!

spouse of scouse Oct 21st 2015 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 11776350)
Yes, don't you just love it that they don't tell you? Why send an email at all if you need to wait for snail mail for the answer? :rolleyes:

No clue about Manila. Maybe it's the regional office for Oz?

Anyway :fingerscrossed: for good news!

My thoughts exactly! I suppose it's good that we're informed, it's like a tracking service I guess and at least I know my application's been processed.

I've asked the question re Manila on the BE UK Immi section - I just want to be sure that the decision hasn't been sent to the wrong country. Silly, but the mind plays all kinds of tricks at times like these!

feelbritish Oct 22nd 2015 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by michali (Post 11773414)

I am already dreading the second round of it! :eek:

feelbritish Oct 22nd 2015 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11776120)

Dear spouse of scouse

UK Visas and Immigration
British Embassy Manila

:fingerscrossed: for you, know that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach! I am sure you will be ok because like me you have a house to go to!

Editha Oct 23rd 2015 8:20 am

I got in a similar state about my application for a residency visa in Canada. I was asked to list every organisation I'd been a member of since I was 18. It was a long list because I've always been an activist. When my visa was delayed for months I started fantasising that it was because I'd been a member of Vietnam Solidarity when I was 17.

spouse of scouse Oct 23rd 2015 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11777200)
:fingerscrossed: for you, know that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach! I am sure you will be ok because like me you have a house to go to!

You've settled in so well that you're a bit of an inspiration to me, FB. So glad that both you and your husband are enjoying being back. :starsmile:

formula Oct 23rd 2015 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11777881)
You've settled in so well that you're a bit of an inspiration to me, FB. So glad that both you and your husband are enjoying being back. :starsmile:

feelbritish is an inspiration to everyone. She made sure she dotted all her i's and crossed all the t's for her visa to return to the UK.

spouse of scouse Oct 23rd 2015 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11777725)
I got in a similar state about my application for a residency visa in Canada. I was asked to list every organisation I'd been a member of since I was 18. It was a long list because I've always been an activist. When my visa was delayed for months I started fantasising that it was because I'd been a member of Vietnam Solidarity when I was 17.

We do get ourselves in a state! Re your membership of Vietnam Solidarity, I wonder if it would have been an impediment if you were applying for US residency? Probably not, I don't think the technology was sophisticated enough.

Coincidentally, I was also involved in activism regarding the Vietnam war, albeit from a different perspective. It was the conscription of Australian men that sent me on a march down Hay Street in Perth - I was 14 and my Mum thought I was staying over a friend's house :lol:

spouse of scouse Oct 23rd 2015 2:36 pm

Today I've paid over 400 pounds in water, gas and electricity bills for the UK house. If I don't get the visa, I wonder if I can get a refund? ;)

spouse of scouse Oct 23rd 2015 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by formula (Post 11777889)
feelbritish is an inspiration to everyone. She made sure she dotted all her i's and crossed all the t's for her visa.

:nod:

formula Oct 23rd 2015 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11777895)
Today I've paid over 400 pounds in water, gas and electricity bills for the UK house. If I don't get the visa, I wonder if I can get a refund? ;)

You will get your visa. Just think of the fun you will have using that £400 up. :rofl:

Relax and make the most of your last few days in Oz. When are you planning to arrive?

feelbritish Oct 23rd 2015 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11777881)

Thanks and here is another tip which I got from a friend this week: make sure you have activities separate to your OH so that you also make up a life for yourself and do it quickly! OH and I have both retired him from full time work and me from being home bound all the time and although only 3 weeks we do need to have separate space although he does not think so! I am working on this and it was also his idea to go back to our old town and house and when you both retire together there are adjustment periods.

feelbritish Oct 23rd 2015 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by formula (Post 11777889)
feelbritish is an inspiration to everyone. She made sure she dotted all her i's and crossed all the t's for her visa to return to the UK.

Thank you formula, that means a lot to me! I did get most of my help and inspiration from this forum and our friends on here but I am a very organised person and that helped. I am already reading up about the second bout of applications as I hate surprises and am getting bills in both names sorted plus where to keep money accessible! :lol:

spouse of scouse Oct 23rd 2015 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by formula (Post 11777967)
You will get your visa. Just think of the fun you will have using that £400 up. :rofl:

Relax and make the most of your last few days in Oz. When are you planning to arrive?

I'm sending the mutt off in a few days, my flight's booked for a few days after that. However, in my cautious way I've booked a fully flexible ticket so I can change the dates. I like your confidence though!

spouse of scouse Oct 23rd 2015 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11778079)
Thanks and here is another tip which I got from a friend this week: make sure you have activities separate to your OH so that you also make up a life for yourself and do it quickly! OH and I have both retired him from full time work and me from being home bound all the time and although only 3 weeks we do need to have separate space although he does not think so! I am working on this and it was also his idea to go back to our old town and house and when you both retire together there are adjustment periods.

I agree about maintaining your own interests and activities, FB. Scouse and I have both taken early retirement and although we both enjoy the 24/7 thing, I do take myself off now and then for lunch with friends, catch ups with my sisters etc. Like your partner, he's not so bothered and is quite happy pottering around the house - he's always thinking up new projects to work on.

I'd like to do some volunteer work once I'm settled in and have already had an approach from an NHS trust to consider applying for membership of their Board. I have to look into that further though as I think I might need to be a citizen first. I'd be quite happy just doing admin work with a local community agency - the only problem would be that if I thought there was a better way to do things, I'd speak up (and probably get the sack!). The curse of a long-time manager - we think we know everything :lol:

Perth Oct 24th 2015 12:22 pm

I have so many volunteer ideas I am afraid there are not enough hours in the day! But I am excited to be able to dedicate myself to a new community. OH will be so wrapped up in his music I'll be lucky if I see him at all :lol:

spouse of scouse Oct 24th 2015 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 11778441)
I have so many volunteer ideas I am afraid there are not enough hours in the day! But I am excited to be able to dedicate myself to a new community. OH will be so wrapped up in his music I'll be lucky if I see him at all :lol:

I feel just the same and there's no better way to become a part of a community than rolling our sleeves up and mucking in :thumbup: I wonder if it's too late for Scouse to learn to play piano? :lol: