Thanks For the Bread Tips

Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks For the Bread Tips

I have taken all your complaints, hints and information on packaged breads to heart and this Christmas I bought myself, with some of the gift cards I received at the office, a lovely bread machine that makes up to a 2 pounder with little fuss or muss.

Now I can control what "additives" are in my bread and I have to say the bread that I've made so far is awesome. Yes, Roland, there is that word again

My DH is enjoying it and is actually having a sandwich now and again. So far I have made Italian bread, herb bread with cheese, caraway rye bread and I'm going to be adventurous this weekend and they a type of multi-grain bread. One loaf of 1-1/2 lbs will last us for a week or longer. But without preservatives I don't know how much longer.

An added plus to this is that with diabetes, I am only allowed so many carbs per meal and two slices of pre-packaged bread alone would nearly send me over the limit but not so with the homemade bread. I can have a moderate sandwich now and within the prescribed timeframe after a meal have my glucose count well within the normal range.

Thanks, again.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:17 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanks For the Bread Tips

My wife has tried and tried to bake bread and it never works. We even tried a machine and it still never came out edible. She makes great pies,cakes, biscuits, cookies... everything but bread.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:25 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:26 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I have taken all your complaints, hints and information on packaged breads to heart and this Christmas I bought myself, with some of the gift cards I received at the office, a lovely bread machine that makes up to a 2 pounder with little fuss or muss.

Now I can control what "additives" are in my bread and I have to say the bread that I've made so far is awesome. Yes, Roland, there is that word again

My DH is enjoying it and is actually having a sandwich now and again. So far I have made Italian bread, herb bread with cheese, caraway rye bread and I'm going to be adventurous this weekend and they a type of multi-grain bread. One loaf of 1-1/2 lbs will last us for a week or longer. But without preservatives I don't know how much longer.

An added plus to this is that with diabetes, I am only allowed so many carbs per meal and two slices of pre-packaged bread alone would nearly send me over the limit but not so with the homemade bread. I can have a moderate sandwich now and within the prescribed timeframe after a meal have my glucose count well within the normal range.

Thanks, again.
I'm lucky enough to get decent bread at the supermarket, I cut it into slices and freeze it because it would take a couple of weeks to use.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:31 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My wife has tried and tried to bake bread and it never works. We even tried a machine and it still never came out edible. She makes great pies,cakes, biscuits, cookies... everything but bread.
Me too, why is that? I got the machine so that I could set the timer and have fresh baked bread in the morning but, while the aroma was great, it never turned out properly. Could have built houses with the loaves.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The missus has that issue..FIL makes great bread though...nothing beats the smell of home made bread...

Though the missus makes a great cheese, onion and bacon bread loaf which is superb with marmite
Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:36 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I would love a bread maker but my wife seems to think it's a waste of money I just can't eat the bread here as it doesn't seem as filling and I certainly don't trust the fact you can leave a loaf in a cupboard for 2 months and it not be green by the time you throw it away.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

linakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to all

it might be the type of yeast that you use, my dad use to be a baker and says the it is important to use good quality yeast!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linakemp
it might be the type of yeast that you use, my dad use to be a baker and says the it is important to use good quality yeast!

Also important in the bread machine not to allow the yeast to touch the wet ingredients. You put in the liquid first and then add the flour, etc. when that is complete make a small well in the flour but don't go all the way done to the liquid. Then add the yeast to the well and start your machine. I found Fleischmann yeast to be the best so far. The caraway rye is dense but light and so flavorful. The machine was only 65.00 on yahoo.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Also important in the bread machine not to allow the yeast to touch the wet ingredients. You put in the liquid first and then add the flour, etc. when that is complete make a small well in the flour but don't go all the way done to the liquid. Then add the yeast to the well and start your machine. I found Fleischmann yeast to be the best so far. The caraway rye is dense but light and so flavorful. The machine was only 65.00 on yahoo.
Hmmm I will try the Fleischmann yeast and see if that helps. I made bread no problem in the UK, but since I've been in the US I've tried two different breadmakers and mostly it's been a complete failure
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:59 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to this store over in Vermont, some of the bakeware they sell you can get at other places cheaper but their knowledge and flours and everything else are top rate. They do have free online baking classes too, one of the classes is specifically for bread machines.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/

Last edited by sime303; Mar 7th 2008 at 7:03 am.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I have been to this store over in Vermont, some of the bakeware they sell you can get at other places cheaper but their knowledge and flours and everything else are top rate. They do have free online baking classes too, one of the classes is specifically for bread machines.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/
It's not cheap though...we used to get it from the bulk bins in the co-op in belfast, but the sam's club stuff ain't to bad either...
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:20 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not cheap though...we used to get it from the bulk bins in the co-op in belfast, but the sam's club stuff ain't to bad either...

I've heard of the brand but it is not available in our local market, although Super Stop & Shop is introducing more and mroe New England brand products, i.e. Hood diary products.

I will look for it and give it a shot.

Oh, one thing that the reviewers did say when I was researching which bread machine to buy is that you should NOT use the recipes that come with the machine. They claim they don't come out well. I purchased a bread making cook book and have had no problems.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:53 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The missus has that issue..FIL makes great bread though...nothing beats the smell of home made bread...

Though the missus makes a great cheese, onion and bacon bread loaf which is superb with marmite
I would like that recipe please Bob, hold the marmite.........
Old Mar 7th 2008, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I would like that recipe please Bob, hold the marmite.........
I'll ask her over the weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.