Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Temporary Car Insurance in UK

Wikiposts

Temporary Car Insurance in UK

Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Car Insurance in UK

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Haven't you got a relative whose address you could use? All my stuff goes to my Mums...
I applied for a new license while I was visiting the UK giving my inlaws address...I received the new license a couple of weeks later.

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we have a house there with my little car in the garage patiently waiting for me and i have never had any probs with my insurance or getting my new uk licence.
Because you have a UK address it was probably assumed you lived there...as they did with me when I gave my inlaws address.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:14 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I applied for a new license while I was visiting the UK giving my inlaws address...I received the new license a couple of weeks later.

Because you have a UK address it was probably assumed you lived there...as they did with me when I gave my inlaws address.
nope, it's not assumed, they know i reside for most of my time in the usa and it's never been a problem. i never lie with insurance companies, it's not worth it at the end of the day.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nope, it's not assumed, they know i reside for most of my time in the usa and it's never been a problem. i never lie with insurance companies, it's not worth it at the end of the day.
I meant with your license not the insurance.

I didn't lie when filling out the form for my new license...it said address...I was staying at my in-laws at the time so I put that one. Also it didn't ask if I was a resident of the UK.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 7th 2007 at 6:32 am.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 6:08 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh - I thought you meant you hadn't been able to get a new one because you weren't resident so your license wasn't valid......thats why I checked with DVLA...obviously I got the wrong end of the stick....ho hum
Old Sep 9th 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Groover is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of years ago I called the DVLA about the photo license. They told me I couldn't get one but my paper license was still valid and always will be. All I needed to do was send them my current US address for their records. Which I did. I carry around a copy of the letter with my license.

Andy