Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do I (or my children) need a visa to return?

Do I (or my children) need a visa to return?

Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Cheezalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I (or my children) need a visa to return?

A little background:

I am a British citizen, born in the UK in 1971 and have lived in Canada since 1990. My husband (married over 4 years) is a Canadian citizen and we have two children, born in Canada in 2005 and 2006. Both the children and I hold current British and Canadian passports. We want to relocate to the UK towards the end of this year.

I know my husband requires a settlement visa, but do the children and I require any type of visa to return, or is the passport sufficient? I'm having a hard time finding definitive answers.

I appreciate your help.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:41 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do I (or my children) need a visa to return?

Originally Posted by Cheezalot
A little background:

I am a British citizen, born in the UK in 1971 and have lived in Canada since 1990. My husband (married over 4 years) is a Canadian citizen and we have two children, born in Canada in 2005 and 2006. Both the children and I hold current British and Canadian passports. We want to relocate to the UK towards the end of this year.

I know my husband requires a settlement visa, but do the children and I require any type of visa to return, or is the passport sufficient? I'm having a hard time finding definitive answers.

I appreciate your help.
Your children have British passports so they don't need visas, nor do you.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Your children have British passports so they don't need visas, nor do you.
It is recommended to register the births with the British consulate so you get UK birth certificates for your children. Not having these, if you settle back in the UK, can be a bit of a pain. (For instance, if a passport is lost).

Your spouse will need to apply for Spousal Settlement Visa (you will be his sponsor). It's a little daunting at first, but relatively straightforward. There should be a link to these docs from the British Consulate in Canada (I am in the US, so can't help you with specifics)

Good luck!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingajoy
It is recommended to register the births with the British consulate so you get UK birth certificates for your children. Not having these, if you settle back in the UK, can be a bit of a pain. (For instance, if a passport is lost).
Consular birth registration is not available for Canada born children. They will have to make do with a passport as proof of British citizenship (don't lose it and keep copies of parents birth certs etc available).
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Consular birth registration is not available for Canada born children. They will have to make do with a passport as proof of British citizenship (don't lose it and keep copies of parents birth certs etc available).
You can't from Australia either