Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

chasing the dream creates superficial happiness

chasing the dream creates superficial happiness

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

billybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nice
Default chasing the dream creates superficial happiness

i wish i'd seen it earlier.

it has become blatantly obvious that so many people make this large step of emigrating to oz because they dream of the happiness it will create for them.

it only creates a superficial happiness.

family and true friends back home are what counts.

friends you meet out here will never ever be the same as your friends back home that you grew up with.

the weather, the (supposedely) better standard of living, more relaxed atmosphere (what used to be in oz) are all just superficial compared to what you have when you are back where your roots lie.

so many people spend thousands of pounds finding all this the hard way...i am one of these people.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:31 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chasing the dream creates superficial happiness

Originally Posted by billybaxter

it has become blatantly obvious that so many people make this large step of emigrating to oz because they dream of the happiness it will create for them.

friends you meet out here will never ever be the same as your friends back home that you grew up with.

the weather, the (supposedely) better standard of living, more relaxed atmosphere (what used to be in oz) are all just superficial compared to what you have when you are back where your roots lie.

so many people spend thousands of pounds finding all this the hard way...i am one of these people.

I have nothing I could add to that. You said all that I am feeling. (Except I'm in the US, not Oz!)
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:41 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Well you may be , but lots dont run there life through family and friends , some make new friends and accept family distance , unless you need a cuddle before bed why worry over family ?

Would the same rule apply if say you had family and friends who were living in a desert and had no water to drink hardly and was poor , surely you should take them with you ?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

A short hop to Oz or the US is a far cry from Spain. Not quite as easy to get a £1 fare and nip back in a couple of hours.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shivster
A short hop to Oz or the US is a far cry from Spain. Not quite as easy to get a £1 fare and nip back in a couple of hours.
Exactly.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Well you may be , but lots dont run there life through family and friends , some make new friends and accept family distance , unless you need a cuddle before bed why worry over family ?

Would the same rule apply if say you had family and friends who were living in a desert and had no water to drink hardly and was poor , surely you should take them with you ?
Is this a wind-up?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:50 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

So, so true.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:52 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I DO need a cuddle before bed. I highly recommend it.

You'll learn......... the hard way
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Is this a wind-up?
No it's advice on moving back to the UK from someone who hasn't left the UK!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

bloody classic
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:56 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

I really hope that you everything works out for you,at least you tried which is a lot more than some people do,keep strong and ,you would of never known how you feel if you hadnt tryed.This is for Katesbackagain too.Really feel for you.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:57 pm
I don't give a damn

You gotta laugh aye?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:57 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

No its someone who cant see what the problem is ?

have web cams ,phones and planes ?
If i was so closely tied to family and friends i wouldnt go anywhere , i would build a really big house and have them all move in with me

Lifes about compromises and stuff , cant live your life around others , in my opinion
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta disagree here. I have made friends in the UK just as good as those I grew up with or knew in the States...and while it's a short hop to Spain it sure isn't to the States.

My happiness here in my adopted home is not superficial either. I love it here. Have not been homesick either. I went back to the States for a visit recently and couldn't wait to get back here because 'here' is now home.

I know my situation is different than many on this forum but not all come back because they were miserable abroad. It was always our plan to live back in the UK. A few on this forum live or lived abroad for a job or other reasons and not everyone hated living away from 'home'....'home' is where I want it to be.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

haha dunno what's going on in your head today BP but this is the MBTTUK forum and you are planning on leaving and so hardly the one to give sound advice eh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.