Teenage Daughter not wanting to move back to UK from Perth WA

Teenage Daughter not wanting to move back to UK from Perth WA

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

LillyB will become famous soon enoughLillyB will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teenage Daughter not wanting to move back to UK from Perth WA

Originally Posted by Grayling
Oh dear....you really are naive.

My brother left Orlando 15 years ago to live in Oregon.....because of the appalling levels of crime in Florida.

Get real.

Most of the UK is a cakewalk compared to much of Florida.
If I tell you an area in the UK which is crime free you tell me the same in US/Florida? Sorry but there isn't one.......we have gun,drug,car,theft, assault crime here, prostitution, child trafficing, drug trafficing here, like any country you don't see it in normal day to day living... we have areas 5 mins from my home that I wouldn't even dream of going, it's there if you go and look for it but most people don't .
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LillyB
like any country you don't see it in normal day to day living... .

...and you don't see it on a fortnight's holiday.

Cities like Orlando and Miami are noted for crime.

A few years ago tourists were advised not to rent cars in Florida because the number of hijacks.

I lived in the Peak district and worked at Manchester university....I never had any problems or experienced any crime.

You really are wearing rose tinted specs.

BTW I was car jacked in the canary Islands a few years ago......don't go thinking there is no crime there either.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

BTW I was car jacked in the canary Islands a few years ago......don't go thinking there is no crime there either.
I don't believe a word of it how could there be crime with all that beautiful weather?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I don't believe a word of it how could there be crime with all that beautiful weather?
Of course....everyone knows that there is no crime when the sun shines.....silly me
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:11 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=LillyB;6935227]Hi
in September whilst on holiday I met such a lovely US couple who were retired, the man was ex military, they were coming on vacation to UK and wanted to visit Liverpool as they were both big Beatles fans !! What do I tell them Yeah go, but watch your back, handabag, wallet, car etc etc....as Liverpool has one of the highest crime rates in the UK.
QUOTE]

Liverpool is a lovely city - especially for visitors. I have many friends who were born and bred there, I worked in city centre and still shop there regularly - never had any problems whatsoever. My daughter lives there now whilst at university and recently lost her mobile phone on a night out. Someone called her from it to let her know where it was so that she could collect it (unlike the one she lost in Greece a few months earlier which she never saw again).

Yes there are bad suburbs and I certainly wouldn't want to live in these parts, but there were suburbs in Melbourne that I wouldn't have dreamt of living either. Every city in the world has it's rough areas.

The UK is no different to anywhere else in the world - there are good people and bad people, good parts and bad parts, positives and negatives.

But I guess you can only ever learn this for yourself once you've lived it.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:15 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for your comments, yes I did put where I live and what I wrote is an experince of where I live, but this is happening all over the UK not just the part where I live, when you read the news, internet news site, something similar is all over the UK. London having the greatest number of teenage killings by teenagers so far, in one area the youngest attacker of a 9 year old girl was a ten year old boy.
My partner has also been a victim of crime, in June 2004, he was attacked by a gang of four men !! ages 30 -44 for trying to defend a young person whom they were bullying, he was left in intensive care for 2 weeks and has permenant paralisys to his face due to damage to his nerve endings being damaged, when the ring leader was brought to court he had 58 previous offences for violent behaviour. I dont think there is anywhere wherever you go that does not have some sort of bad behaviour.
Re shopping malls, we have a shopping centre which is more or less as you describe youths hanging about both white and mixed race, if you attempt to say anything they play the race card and you can feel very imtimidated by it all. The local councils can be blamed for some part of this, they let it go on, I sometimes feel that as UK citizen I have no rights in the country that I was born in.
I don't presume that all UK is the same as where live but I do know that a lot of the UK encounters the same problems as I do.
I am NOT running away from the UK far from it, I have reached a stage in my life where I would like to work/live in a warmer country where I feel comfortable, I have very close friends in Tenerife this is not a whim, they have invited us out to be with them, they have 2 businesses over there and would obviously help us to settle/ find accomodation.
Having been to Florida many times on holiday and contrary to what you think I do NOT have on any rose tinted glasses, I accept that it is going to be very difficult to obtain a visa, proabably nigh on impossible, but I had to make enquiries as to what where the possibility's, yes I do know that crime is everywhere even in Florida, in September whilst on holiday I met such a lovely US couple who were retired, the man was ex military, they were coming on vacation to UK and wanted to visit Liverpool as they were both big Beatles fans !! What do I tell them Yeah go, but watch your back, handabag, wallet, car etc etc....as Liverpool has one of the highest crime rates in the UK.
I appreciate that moving to Florida to live and work is different to being on holiday there, but why do some people Poo Poo your ideas, when at some point they must have had the same goal as I had, to move to US, but yet their comments are very much on the negative at times, cost of medical insurance/petrol prices/food/etc etc.....yet they have made the move the same as I would like too.

Hi

I believe this post was a reply to me and not JerseyGirl as you quoted.

We will have to agree to disagree about the UK going to the dogs. Yes the UK as a whole has alot of negative points and I have never said it doesn't if you care to read back through my posts. The place also has a whole lot of positive points.

Every other country I've lived and worked in has social issues too. Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Australia and even when I went to school in NZ part time for a couple of school I could see the emerging problems in that country.

I could say that Australia is going downhill because a 15 year old lad got beaten senseless in a park in an upmarket suburb in Perth in an unprovoked attack and is not expected to survive or a mother of 3 got shot in the head on Sunday or a pregnant woman got stabbed in the stomach a couple of months ago but I wouldn't because it's not true. Just because those violent acts took place in certain areas doesn't mean THE WHOLE of Australia is like it. It isn't.

The violence you say you see on a daily basis in Lancashire doesn't mean it happens everywhere in the UK and sorry but reading the online news about stabbings, gang warfare and then saying similar is 'happening all over the UK' is being totally naive and trying to justify your need to move out of the country.

So far as going to live in the USA, I haven't seen anyone 'poo-poo' your aspirations. What I have read is honest assessments of how difficult it will be for you to even get a visa in the first place and people asking you to do a bit of homework.

I've been to the USA 15 times on holiday (but haven't been to Florida) and fell in love with Hilton Head/Savannah/Charleston. Yes I'd love to live there but that's not reality. I don't have a hope in hell of getting a visa and what work would I do there anyway. Those places are best left for me to enjoy as a holiday destination. perhaps you should think about retiring to Florida as someone suggested.

So far as negative comments about health/petrol/food you should listen to those comments from the guys who live there and have learnt the hard way. I was shocked when I read posts about the health system in the states - I had no idea. A real eye opener.

Having said that I wish you well in moving on with your life.

I'm not replying to this thread anymore as I think it has gone way off track and it's about time it got back on topic to help the OP.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

these people are adults and have no children ...so surely it is up to them to give it a try xxx
my 18 yr old went back to uk (oxford and westbury wilts)and she said it was awful the gangs hanging around,,,out of 5 friends 4 had babies and council houses....uk seems full of other nationalities (polish etc)...
my son who is married with a baby an a very good job rents our house as he could never afford one at the mo...10 year wait for a married couple to get a house ...seemms non uk residents an single mums get priority....
too many drug related probs also...
as for education ..yes uk have some good results ..its also well known that exams are soooo much easier these days .....
I say give it a good or u will be sayijng 'what if'for the rest of ure life....it wont be easy ...but not many things are........GOOD LUCK
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by lobby lou
these people are adults and have no children ...so surely it is up to them to give it a try xxx
my 18 yr old went back to uk (oxford and westbury wilts)and she said it was awful the gangs hanging around,,,out of 5 friends 4 had babies and council houses....uk seems full of other nationalities (polish etc)...
my son who is married with a baby an a very good job rents our house as he could never afford one at the mo...10 year wait for a married couple to get a house ...seemms non uk residents an single mums get priority....
too many drug related probs also...
as for education ..yes uk have some good results ..its also well known that exams are soooo much easier these days .....
I say give it a good or u will be sayijng 'what if'for the rest of ure life....it wont be easy ...but not many things are........GOOD LUCK
you do talk some rubbish.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

you do talk some rubbish.
Please point out the actually rubbish ..............
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

LillyB will become famous soon enoughLillyB will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by crystal23
Hi

I believe this post was a reply to me and not JerseyGirl as you quoted.

We will have to agree to disagree about the UK going to the dogs. Yes the UK as a whole has alot of negative points and I have never said it doesn't if you care to read back through my posts. The place also has a whole lot of positive points.

Every other country I've lived and worked in has social issues too. Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Australia and even when I went to school in NZ part time for a couple of school I could see the emerging problems in that country.

I could say that Australia is going downhill because a 15 year old lad got beaten senseless in a park in an upmarket suburb in Perth in an unprovoked attack and is not expected to survive or a mother of 3 got shot in the head on Sunday or a pregnant woman got stabbed in the stomach a couple of months ago but I wouldn't because it's not true. Just because those violent acts took place in certain areas doesn't mean THE WHOLE of Australia is like it. It isn't.

The violence you say you see on a daily basis in Lancashire doesn't mean it happens everywhere in the UK and sorry but reading the online news about stabbings, gang warfare and then saying similar is 'happening all over the UK' is being totally naive and trying to justify your need to move out of the country.

So far as going to live in the USA, I haven't seen anyone 'poo-poo' your aspirations. What I have read is honest assessments of how difficult it will be for you to even get a visa in the first place and people asking you to do a bit of homework.

I've been to the USA 15 times on holiday (but haven't been to Florida) and fell in love with Hilton Head/Savannah/Charleston. Yes I'd love to live there but that's not reality. I don't have a hope in hell of getting a visa and what work would I do there anyway. Those places are best left for me to enjoy as a holiday destination. perhaps you should think about retiring to Florida as someone suggested.

So far as negative comments about health/petrol/food you should listen to those comments from the guys who live there and have learnt the hard way. I was shocked when I read posts about the health system in the states - I had no idea. A real eye opener.

Having said that I wish you well in moving on with your life.

I'm not replying to this thread anymore as I think it has gone way off track and it's about time it got back on topic to help the OP.
Yes thank you we will have to agree to disagree, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same, just on a finishing note I am not desperate to leave UK, but at this time in my life with no ties, more financial stability etc; moving abroad became an option, and if i am being honest I had absoloutly no idea how hard it was going to be to move/live and work in US, as many of you will know to move into the UK is not, perhaps we should take a leaf out of their book, but it looks like my dream will not be reality, so I shall continue to holiday in the Sunshine State instead. kind regards L
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:02 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I dont base my opinions on 2 weeks holdiay per year, I do have English friends who are based in Orlando and I also have US friends who live in Largo who we have known for over 11 years.
Do you think you'll have good health insurance, though? If it doesn't come with a job, it'll probably cost you about $1000 a month for a family. If you have any pre-existing conditions, you may not be able to get it. And if you lose your job, it goes away.

Bev
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Name a city in Australia where 17 children have been murdered by other children this year? When I read reports of the levels of violence in the UK (particularily amongst young people) it makes my blood run cold. It is something that has definitely got worse over the last ten or so years and bears little resmblence to the way the country was when I grew up.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:17 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yanH
Name a city in Australia where 17 children have been murdered by other children this year? When I read reports of the levels of violence in the UK (particularily amongst young people) it makes my blood run cold. It is something that has definitely got worse over the last ten or so years and bears little resmblence to the way the country was when I grew up.

Another post maintaining that crime everywhere in the UK is the same

LilyB and I agreed to disagree about our views because we come from completely different areas in the UK with completely different levels of crime and you cannot compare like with like in that situation.

If you read my posts properly you will see that I do not say Australia is a sh*thole because of the level of crime and violence in one state/town/area. I have always maintained the UK has serious social issues in some parts that need resolving just like the serious crime levels that need resolving in some parts of Australia.

I have been a victim of crime in Australia and also in the UK. I was seriously assaulted at my place of work by a drugged up drunken moron who unluckily for him attacked me 2 days after I had just done my self defence course. Sadly for him he came off worse as I was a bloody good aim in the ballbag dept.

The following month I was assaulted in a car park by some idiot who turned out to be a magistrate.

Of these attacks the first took place 30 miles from where I lived and the 2nd one 15 miles away.

So please don't insinuate that I am living in cloud cuckoo land with regard to crime anywhere because I am not.

Regarding your question - a city in Australia where 17 kids have been murdered by other kids this year - hmmmm - possibly Perth is heading that way - who knows. I really can't be bothered to trawl the internet looking for REPORTED child murders. I can ask my police friends how many child on child murders there have been though including the ones that aren't reported if you like.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll get back to reading about the 4 stabbings that happened on Sunday in Hillarys (a rather upmarket suburb) in Perth. But hey you think I'm making it up because there is no crime in Australia in your mind is there.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:31 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stormyweather
HI
Aynone out their living in Perth WA who moved out from UK and are unsettled and have the dilemma of a teenager who hates the thought of moving back to UK.
We have been in Perth WA Joondalup for 4 years now and although we have good jobs nice house good friends etc we are still craving to move back to West Yorkshire UK. Although Perth is a great place it does not feel like home We miss the seasons Family and friends although we dont have a big family we miss the British culture and the scenery plus the easy travel. I think we go along trying to be very positive then we feel very trapped and want to move back. Our daughter is nearly 15 and loves it here moved out when she was 10 she has good friends likes school and spends most her time on MSM she is an only one and we have always had her best interests at heart as you do as a parent.

Please give feedback re anything simular

Amanda Perth WA Joondalup
Going back to the original query in this topic, I moved two teenagers to Australia against their will. I didn't have much of a choice, my husband made the choice for all of us.
It was extremely difficult and a very unhappy time. They were older at 19 and 21 and I was caught between their needs and my now ex husbands.
My daughter returned to the UK and refuses to speak to me because she thinks I should have gone home with her.
My son stayed in Australia and doesn't speak to me because I wouldn't loan his girlfriend and him some money.

In these circumstances, I don't think there is a happy ending whatever you do because you just can't please everyone. It's probably best to be as objective as possible and consider the needs of the most vulnerable person first. If that's your daughter, then that means you have to take charge of the decision making and decide what's going to best for her even if she hates you for it.

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. Good luck anyway and remember to think about what you want to because honestly, you can tie yourself in knots trying to make everyone happy and still get it totally wrong.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Another post maintaining that crime everywhere in the UK is the same

LilyB and I agreed to disagree about our views because we come from completely different areas in the UK with completely different levels of crime and you cannot compare like with like in that situation.

If you read my posts properly you will see that I do not say Australia is a sh*thole because of the level of crime and violence in one state/town/area. I have always maintained the UK has serious social issues in some parts that need resolving just like the serious crime levels that need resolving in some parts of Australia.

I have been a victim of crime in Australia and also in the UK. I was seriously assaulted at my place of work by a drugged up drunken moron who unluckily for him attacked me 2 days after I had just done my self defence course. Sadly for him he came off worse as I was a bloody good aim in the ballbag dept.

The following month I was assaulted in a car park by some idiot who turned out to be a magistrate.

Of these attacks the first took place 30 miles from where I lived and the 2nd one 15 miles away.

So please don't insinuate that I am living in cloud cuckoo land with regard to crime anywhere because I am not.

Regarding your question - a city in Australia where 17 kids have been murdered by other kids this year - hmmmm - possibly Perth is heading that way - who knows. I really can't be bothered to trawl the internet looking for REPORTED child murders. I can ask my police friends how many child on child murders there have been though including the ones that aren't reported if you like.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll get back to reading about the 4 stabbings that happened on Sunday in Hillarys (a rather upmarket suburb) in Perth. But hey you think I'm making it up because there is no crime in Australia in your mind is there.
I don't think that there is no crime in Australia just that the level of it is in general lower than that in the UK. You can be a victim of crime anywhere and of course the level of crime varies from area to area. However to try and pretend that there is not currently a problem with violent crime in many urban areas of the UK is sticking your head in the sand and denying reality.
Yes Australia has its problems too but Perth is a very safe place to live in compared to London, Glasgow or Manchester.

I'm sorry if you think that I was saying that you live in cloud cuckoo land as that was not my intention. I was only commenting in general on the thread and intended no offense.

Last edited by yanH; Nov 11th 2008 at 4:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.