Taxes.....US to UK

Old May 22nd 2018, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taxes.....US to UK

OK,,, for those who expatriated and navigated the process - did you use one person for the paperwork (taxes etc) for both ends or did you find it easier to use two people - ie someone to do US taxes in US and someone in UK to do UK taxes? Looking for what worked for those who have been there, done that got the T Shirt!
Old May 29th 2018, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes.....US to UK

I was fortunate to be supported by my Employer who engage one of the big 4 accountancy firms - different teams handled the US and UK taxes. Sorry that doesn't help you!

I think it very much depends on how complex your financial affairs are. IIRC, you have been in the US for 10 years or so - so the UK side of your taxes should be very straightforward as your liabilities will only start once you move back. Simply repatriating assets to the UK is not a taxable event, and PAYE will take care of any income tax. Self-reporting of any foreign income (eg pensions, investments) is usually straightforward using the HMRC tax website to do your tax return. The HMRC helpline is reasonably helpful too.

I would focus on organising your US affairs to be in a suitable state to manage from outside the country, and find a US person who has that kind of experience. You can worry about the UK when you get here.