RRIF Canada and UK

Old May 28th 2018, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RRIF Canada and UK

I have looked this up as far as taking money from RRIF whilst living in UK. If we still maintain a house in Canada- and we live in the UK as well for part of the year- can we avoid legally the 25% witholding tax?
Old May 28th 2018, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RRIF Canada and UK

I always thought a person has to be a permanent resident in one or the other country but its ok to own a property in another country as a non resident.
Best to ask an accountant really.
Old May 28th 2018, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
I always thought a person has to be a permanent resident in one or the other country but its ok to own a property in another country as a non resident.

I think I will be a resident of Canada and spend some time in the UK LOL
Old May 29th 2018, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
You can indeed be resident in 2 countries as we discovered when setting up a second home in the UK while still living in the USA. Once we met the residency tests of but both countries it was the country of Domicile that got to be the primary taxation authority (and there was a decision flowchart on the HMRC website to help make that determination).

As to the OP's question I have no answer unfortunately. We have the equivalent retirement funds in the USA but are able to select "no withholding" when making withdrawals, even though we now reside in the UK.