Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Tax, 401k, IRA moving from US to UK

Tax, 401k, IRA moving from US to UK

Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:48 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax, 401k, IRA moving from US to UK

I'm a UK/US dual citizen and after the recent election results (and 18 years in the US) I'm beginning to plan my return to the UK. All my financial assets are in the US so I have many questions about how to organize things.

1) Does anyone know of a good one stop place for US/UK expat financial advice?

2) I have my retirement funds in US 401k, IRA and a couple of US pension funds. Is there any way to move these to the UK without incurring tax penalties sort of a US to UK rollover?

3) I imagine 2) would be pretty difficult to do so does anyone have experience of keeping retirement funds invested in the US and then getting income from them in the UK. How would this income be taxed?

4) Is it possible to take a lump sum from a US retirement fund and roll it over to an equivalent tax advantaged retiremen fund in the UK?

5) I aslo have money from the sale of a house and invested in US mutual funds. What's the best way to move that to the UK. Can I put it into US dollar
denominated investments to offset some of the weak dollar and hope that it
gets stronger in a few years?
Old Nov 13th 2004, 5:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax, 401k, IRA moving from US to UK

Originally Posted by nun
I'm a UK/US dual citizen and after the recent election results (and 18 years in the US) I'm beginning to plan my return to the UK. All my financial assets are in the US so I have many questions about how to organize things.

1) Does anyone know of a good one stop place for US/UK expat financial advice?

2) I have my retirement funds in US 401k, IRA and a couple of US pension funds. Is there any way to move these to the UK without incurring tax penalties sort of a US to UK rollover?

3) I imagine 2) would be pretty difficult to do so does anyone have experience of keeping retirement funds invested in the US and then getting income from them in the UK. How would this income be taxed?

4) Is it possible to take a lump sum from a US retirement fund and roll it over to an equivalent tax advantaged retiremen fund in the UK?

5) I aslo have money from the sale of a house and invested in US mutual funds. What's the best way to move that to the UK. Can I put it into US dollar
denominated investments to offset some of the weak dollar and hope that it
gets stronger in a few years?

Surely soemone has done this before and got practical experience.......
Old Nov 13th 2004, 5:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Surely soemone has done this before and got practical experience.......

Be patient - it's not reasonable to expect an online forum to come up with an answer immediately. Although your question is quite complex, so you may not get an answer.

Usually people don't respond if they don't feel they've anything constructive to say.

Jeremy
Old Nov 14th 2004, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

megs is on a distinguished road

You might want to ask this on a board for American expats; UKYankee has a board especially for tax queries, so that might be worth trying.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:50 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by megs
You might want to ask this on a board for American expats; UKYankee has a board especially for tax queries, so that might be worth trying.
Thanks UK-Yankee does appear to be more appropriate