Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK from the UAE

Returning to the UK from the UAE

Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:07 am
Just Joined

expat14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK from the UAE

Hi, we will be returning to the UK from the UAE in August next year and I am starting to make plans and preparations. Does anyone have any suggestions/experiances on:

1. Recommended shipping/removal companies
2. Any cost estimates/experiances of the above

We have a dog that we will be bringing back with us, I understand that she will need to go into quarantine for 6 mths, can anyone advise on what paperwork/vaccanations etc, that need to be in place to ensure no problems. Then does anybody have any ideas/experiances on best methods/routes/airlines to get our dog back cost effectively and then information on recommended quarantine holding locations, we will be relocating back to the NE of England.

I know i am asking a lot, but I would appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Returning to the UK from the UAE

Originally Posted by expat14
Hi, we will be returning to the UK from the UAE in August next year and I am starting to make plans and preparations. Does anyone have any suggestions/experiances on:

We have a dog that we will be bringing back with us, I understand that she will need to go into quarantine for 6 mths, can anyone advise on what paperwork/vaccanations etc, that need to be in place to ensure no problems. Then does anybody have any ideas/experiances on best methods/routes/airlines to get our dog back cost effectively and then information on recommended quarantine holding locations, we will be relocating back to the NE of England.

Thanks
You might like to check the info and forums on this expat website which has been set up by a British spouse based in Dubai - most queries are about moving to and from the UAE:

http://www.expatmums.com
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:32 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK from the UAE

Hi Expat14
Your dog does not have to go through quarantine. If your not leaving till next August you have time to get a pet pasport. The UAE is listed on the countries accepted. You can get details at www.dipdemon.co.uk
calle
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
Hi Expat14
Your dog does not have to go through quarantine. If your not leaving till next August you have time to get a pet pasport. The UAE is listed on the countries accepted. You can get details at www.dipdemon.co.uk
calle
I strongly recommend you try to go the Pet Passport route. See http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm (the link in the previous post doesn't seem to work).

Quarantine is very expensive, plus it can be very hard for the dog and for you. My dog went through quarantine in 2000 and, thankfully, dealt with it very well. However, on my weekly visits I saw some dogs that were just about barking mad (literally) at being cooped up in a pen 24-7. One dog tore itself up trying to rip its way out. Every week it had a different part of its body bandaged up. Most dogs get through the experience without such a bad time, but I wouldn't take the risk unless you have no choice.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:21 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

Thanks
Hi there!

I'm moving back to the UK from Dubai in December. I'll let you know about the removal company! I might not be able to find out cost, as it's my company paying for it, but I'll at least be able to tell you about the service.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kristy
Hi there!

I'm moving back to the UK from Dubai in December. I'll let you know about the removal company! I might not be able to find out cost, as it's my company paying for it, but I'll at least be able to tell you about the service.
Hi, thanks very much that would be great, if you could squeeze a a rough idea of the cost as well that would be brilliant, but i understand that might not be possible.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:57 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

Hi, thanks very much that would be great, if you could squeeze a a rough idea of the cost as well that would be brilliant, but i understand that might not be possible.
I'll see what I can do! Think the HR guys are sorting out a couple of companies to come and do quotes in the next couple of weeks.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by callë
Hi Expat14
calle
Hi,

thanks for the information and the website, managed to figure out it should be www.dip.demon.co.uk, and its very useful. Its also a great relief that the dog doesnt have to go into quarantine!