Taking a car back to UK

Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Kayser Soze will become famous soon enough
Default Taking a car back to UK

Am on the way back in April and can't make up my mind if it is worth it to move our car back. It is only 2 years old with 17k kilometres on the clock. It is a type that you can get in UK so no problems there.

Have read all the official stuff from UK customs and excise but wondered if anyone had any real experience of this and just how much hassle I might be letting myself if for?

Thanks,

K.S.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:15 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking a car back to UK

I read somewhere that the paperwork is a huge hassle. Cant remember where I read it. Think it was on www.*****.co.uk. Search under cars back to Uk or something like that. May take you a while but I am sure the person said it would cost too much money between the paperwork and the container. Something about the milleage being in KMs or something.

Sorry not much help but try the site anyway.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

housey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kayser Soze
Am on the way back in April and can't make up my mind if it is worth it to move our car back. It is only 2 years old with 17k kilometres on the clock. It is a type that you can get in UK so no problems there.

Have read all the official stuff from UK customs and excise but wondered if anyone had any real experience of this and just how much hassle I might be letting myself if for?

Thanks,

K.S.
Hi

I recently brought our car home.... pretty easy really. Quotes vary a lot, but we paid $700 Baltimore to Liverpool. It arrived safely in great condition - there's a v helpful site that will give you loads more info www.importyourcar.com. We used Allworld in Boston to arrange things - Gail was v efficient (1-800-356- 0696). Biggest hassle was getting the lights sorted out for LHD, can be pricey depending on make.

Hope this helpds

Housey
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Housey, was your car a european model car or US? Why do the lights have to be changed? My car is a 2 year old VW Beetle, would I have to change the lights on that, it has sepparate indicator lights? Also did your car go in the container with all your furniture or was it taken sepparatly?

Whats is like driving in the UK in a left hand drive car...much fun!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

housey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Housey, was your car a european model car or US? Why do the lights have to be changed? My car is a 2 year old VW Beetle, would I have to change the lights on that, it has sepparate indicator lights? Also did your car go in the container with all your furniture or was it taken sepparatly?

Whats is like driving in the UK in a left hand drive car...much fun!

Lisa

The lights have to be changed so they shine on the correct side for this side of the road - one of the requirements of the SVA test. It is a European model but obviously had US lights fitted so fit US requirements.
Housey
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Me Here is an unknown quantity at this point

Having looked through all the info online, it looks like the biggest expense will be changing the speedometer on the car from km to mph. Does anyone know what sort of price this would cost, as so far it looks definitely worthwhile taking our car back to the UK from Australia.

Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2005, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Kayser Soze will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Me Here
Having looked through all the info online, it looks like the biggest expense will be changing the speedometer on the car from km to mph. Does anyone know what sort of price this would cost, as so far it looks definitely worthwhile taking our car back to the UK from Australia.

Thanks
There is the kph to mph thing but read also cars now in UK have to be fitted with rear fog lights so if yours is not already this bear this in mind.

K.S.