#TakeUsWithYouScotland

Old May 23rd 2015, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: #TakeUsWithYouScotland

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Lol.

By that kind of argument the true unemployment rate will be a lot higher in Ireland too. Plus, Ireland has seen net emigration since '08 whereas the UK continues to see significant immigration. Whatever way you want to cut it, Ireland is still dealing with the fallout from having to bailout its oversized banking sector, whereas the UK economy - despite its own banking issues and the "austerity" that the SNP like to moan about - has done significantly better since the financial crisis of '08.
It's pointless to argue, but it annoys me that people think they know everything and aren't even in Ireland. They hear something in the media and think everyone is poor. Fact is that the economy is growing here and working class people are still far better off than in the UK, if they didn't buy a home during the boom and have 3+ kids. On paper the UK might be better, but what's the point if even people with jobs can't afford homes in many areas of the UK. Scotland could manage well, just like plenty of other small countries do.
Old May 23rd 2015, 6:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's pointless to argue, but it annoys me that people think they know everything and aren't even in Ireland. They hear something in the media and think everyone is poor. Fact is that the economy is growing here and working class people are still far better off than in the UK, if they didn't buy a home during the boom and have 3+ kids. On paper the UK might be better, but what's the point if even people with jobs can't afford homes in many areas of the UK. Scotland could manage well, just like plenty of other small countries do.
should Scotland go the referendum vote again, my suggestion is to follow the 'peace & love' the Irish have just won their YES referendum on. The battlefield [battle cry] mentality doesn't win votes IMO

Never ever IMO go down the Alex Salmond obnoxious campaign road, simply hire the Irish campaign team to do it for the Scots

"With votes tallied from nearly all of Ireland's 43 parliamentary constituencies, the measure will sail through with more than 60% of voters approving, according to official results.

Roscommon-South Leitrim, a rural section in the middle of the country, was the lone constituency not to approve the measure.

More than 1.8 million Irish voters participated in the election, about 60% percent of the total electorate in the majority Catholic nation."

source CNN

Last edited by not2old; May 23rd 2015 at 6:42 pm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 6:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllenSmith81
Moses2013,

I think you are becoming my irish best friend :P
Moses, are you Irish through & through or a UK transplant?
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting article. I've seen this happen in my (very large) family over the years.

Labour lost the working-class vote a long time ago - Spectator Blogs

Last edited by formula; May 23rd 2015 at 7:32 pm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Born in UK, but actually have parents with Irish/British & German roots.
Old May 23rd 2015, 9:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Born in UK, but actually have parents with Irish/British & German roots.
I'll take that as an 'Honorary' Irish Guinness citizen

Last edited by not2old; May 23rd 2015 at 11:15 pm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
An interesting article. I've seen this happen in my (very large) family over the years.
Labour lost the working-class vote a long time ago - Spectator Blogs
It is an interesting article.
It raises lots of questions. And answers none of them.
Old May 24th 2015, 9:12 am
Just Joined

AllenSmith81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Frankly Moses to me you could be an iraqi national, if you live in ireland, identify yourself as irish then to me your Irish. Same as I am technically English but I have lived over 2/3s of my life in Scotland and I am Scottish.

Its never about where you were born, its about the people and culture you identify with.
Old May 24th 2015, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The fact that the SNP has reached its maximum potential means that yes, it can be largely ignored. The fact that many more people voted for the UKIP, scattered across the country, means despite only having one MP the UKIP is more likely to impact government policy.
Doing this would amount to UK Suicide. During the better together campaign we were told of how we were valued as an equal partner in this family of nations and how the scottish people add a rich and dynamic voice to the UK. To say now that you will ignore that voice because we didnt vote for one of the two parties we are supposed to will simply bring separation forward imo.
Old May 24th 2015, 9:20 am
Just Joined

She has before. Whipped up a storm in Scotland about voting SNP and what she would do to the English, while forgetting that the English would vote to stop that. Her dream of ruling with Labour in a coalition government was then over and now the SNP sit on the toothless oppostion side representing their 1.8 million voters. She did the Conseratives work for them.

Cutting Scotland loose now would mean the end of Labour.
Not really sure where you get this from.. even if the whole of Scotland had voted labour they still would not have enough seats to form a government. Labour are not the government of the day because they failed to win enough seats in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Oh and the SNP actually got 1.4 Million not 1.8 Million votes (just keeping it accurate)
Old May 24th 2015, 9:25 am
Just Joined

They are in the toothless opposition benches. They did not get to join Labour to form a UK government. Sturgeon did her part in giving Conservatives a majority to form the UK government. I'm sure Sturgeon will keep reminding everyone about her 1.8 million voters though.

It looks like the SNP MPs have already had their first big battle in Westminster by trying to bully a Labour MP but picked on the wrong 83 year old, Labour's firecracker MP Dennis Skinner. They should have done their homework #twats. Skinner sent them away with a flea in their ear about Scotland still wanting to keep the extra money from the Barnett formula, with much laughter from the rest of the MPs.

Labour's Dennis Skinner WINS fight with SNP to keep Commons seat | Daily Mail Online

Dennis Skinner wins Westminster turf war against the SNP - Spectator Blogs

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. I will not bring the level of this conversation down to name calling so will ignore your #Twats comments. I would suggest a more relvent discussion is do you feel its appropriate for an elected representative to say "Thats mine and your not getting to play with it" does this remind you of any antics you may have experienced at school?

so my comment would be.. seriously.. its a seat.. and is this really news worthy??

Last edited by AllenSmith81; May 24th 2015 at 10:23 am.
Old May 24th 2015, 9:48 am
Dichotomus tinker

Doing this would amount to UK Suicide. During the better together campaign we were told of how we were valued as an equal partner in this family of nations and how the scottish people add a rich and dynamic voice to the UK. To say now that you will ignore that voice because we didnt vote for one of the two parties we are supposed to will simply bring separation forward imo.
Well one thing for sure, the folks living in Scotland made it known they wanted one party for Scotland & no share 'better together' with a balance of Cons, Labour & SNP.

Now, I wonder should an EU referendum come before a Scottish referendum, what would the SNP be telling people to vote - would it be YES or NO to stay in the EU? Would anyone living in Scotland care to comment?

Last edited by not2old; May 24th 2015 at 10:25 am.
Old May 24th 2015, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Well one thing for sure, the folks living in Scotland made it known they wanted one party for Scotland & no share 'better together' with a balance of Cons, Labour & SNP.

Now, I wonder should an EU referendum come before a Scottish referendum, what would the SNP be telling people to vote - would it be YES or NO to stay in the EU? Would anyone living in Scotland care to comment?
I do not think the SNP would be telling anyone to vote a specific way. I think they would campaign for and build a positive case to remain in the EU. A position they would likely win allot of support for. Scotland is generally Pro-EU and being dragged out of the EU against our will is a likely catalyst for IndyRef2
Old May 24th 2015, 10:24 am
Dichotomus tinker

I do not think the SNP would be telling anyone to vote a specific way. I think they would campaign for and build a positive case to remain in the EU. A position they would likely win allot of support for. Scotland is generally Pro-EU and being dragged out of the EU against our will is a likely catalyst for IndyRef2
of course, but you know the folks in Westminster

SNP urge Cameron to drop "obsession" with EU referendum and prioritise more powers for Scotland | Herald Scotland
Old May 24th 2015, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Positive

Before the general election, SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon repeatedly stressed that another referendum is off the agenda unless there is a “material” change in circumstances. However, there is no clear definition of what this means and the SNP has several options that might pave the way for it to argue it has a mandate for another.
Possible reasons include if Cameron resists the SNP’s demands for greater devolution of powers, if the UK votes to leave the European Union or withdraw from the European convention on human rights, or if the SNP wins a decisive victory at the Holyrood elections in 2016 having expressed a desire for another referendum in its manifesto.
Taken from the Guardian, not a paper I tend to read granted: SNP prepared to defy Cameron on a second independence referendum | Politics | The Guardian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.