Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

to sum up...why do so many return from Oz ?

to sum up...why do so many return from Oz ?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to sum up...why do so many return from Oz ?

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Agreed.

Australian History, in comparison to, say, European History would take all of 5 minutes to cover in class.

And you won't get a global oulook living in either Australia or the USA. The BBC is a world best at delivering news from around the world.

I met a worryingly high amount Americans & Australians that had never heard of many European countries, never heard of some historic inventors or explorers ...I could go on. Most people I know here have heard of Georgia and Sir Walter Raleigh being 2 examples.
You are so right! An example in our family is my daughter in law - nice bright girl with a uni education. I was doing her family tree in order to fill in gaps for my granddaughter (should she ever be interested in family history) and discovered that she was a direct descendant of Oliver Cromwell - my DIL had absolutely no idea who her 10gt grandfather was nor what he did!!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by quoll
You are so right! An example in our family is my daughter in law - nice bright girl with a uni education. I was doing her family tree in order to fill in gaps for my granddaughter (should she ever be interested in family history) and discovered that she was a direct descendant of Oliver Cromwell - my DIL had absolutely no idea who her 10gt grandfather was nor what he did!!!
I just asked my daughter if they learn about English historical figures like Cromwell, and she asked if the English kids learn about Australian historical figures like Wills, Burke, Leichhardt, Henry Parkes etc.

Isn't it terrible that another country doesn't learn what they teach in English schools ?

It actually reminds me that I used to think exactly like that back in my early years in my first Australian migration.

But now I realise that England is England, and Australia is not.

And any British person "expecting" an Australian to learn "English" History, will get on the wrong side of an Australian very quickly.

Regarding not knowing who a 10th great grandfather is ? Well, my daughter knows who her ancestors are, and why one got a knighthood, but only because I taught her. I don't expect the Australian schools to teach that, although I would have expected a British one to do so.

Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:02 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Motorboater
We have been in Australia for 25 years now, and although we are Australian citizens, have paid taxes, own our house, and have superannuation, we will never be "ozzies" for as long as our ar*es point downwards. Basically the "real" australians just seem to resent anybody who they perceive as not "true blue". After a while even the allure of beaches and sunshine fades. This will be hard for those still in the UK to comprehend. We have just returned from a holiday in UK and it was great to hear our own accents spoken everywhere. The feeling of being in our own home country was very real. People in Australia often say "you haven't lost your accent" I reply, "that would be very careless of me, and what would I replace it with?"
Many times some ignorant true blues try to mimic my accent to make fun of me. The accent is Scottish by the way. You are expected to support Australia in every sport they play, even against British teams. Just to comment that Johny Wilkinson was a good rugby player brought a torrent of abuse on me.
I dont think we can return to the UK though, as or finances are tied up here and we have become accustomed to the Aus costs and pay rates. No wonder newly arrived UK immigrants think its cheap here.
I don't believe that new arrivals to Australia think that it is cheap anymore, far from it infact. Where abouts are you in WA M?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I just asked my daughter if they learn about English historical figures like Cromwell, and she asked if the English kids learn about Australian historical figures like Wills, Burke, Leichhardt, Henry Parkes etc.

Isn't it terrible that another country doesn't learn what they teach in English schools ?

It actually reminds me that I used to think exactly like that back in my early years in my first Australian migration.

And any British person "expecting" an Australian to learn "English" History, will get on the wrong side of an Australian very quickly.

Regarding not knowing who a 10th great grandfather is ? Well, my daughter knows who her ancestors are, and why one got a knighthood, but only because I taught her. I don't expect the Australian schools to teach that, although I would have expected a British one to do so.
Actually, I did learn about Wills and Burke at school, although it was many moons ago. My son also learned about them whilst doing a project on Australia in year 5 just before we came to Oz. Australia's head of State is the Queen of England, so why shouldn't Oz schools teach something about the history of the Commonwealth of Nations?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly learned more about Australia at school than my kids learned about England. In the scheme of things too, Cromwell had a far more reaching effect than did Burke or Wills so you might expect a bit of a difference. It wasnt so much the fact that my DIL hadnt learned about them in school it was that as a university educated person her natural curiosity and supposedly broad education hadnt given her a breadth of general knowledge that I would have thought fairly fundamental. I doubt she knows much about the American Civil War or the genocide in Darfur either. But then, I suppose, history isnt Australia's strong point.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scooby3;6792353]I accept its not easy migrating... but the British are not very adaptable now are they

That's interesting. Who are the very adaptable nationality's?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:34 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;6794902]I don't believe that new arrivals to Australia think that it is cheap anymore, far from it infact. Where abouts are you in WA M?

aint that the trut!!! i find its brits who have been here a long time think its cheap, am sure it was when they came but not compared to the u.k any more.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by manc1
That's interesting. Who are the very adaptable nationality's?
Almost any country where the people expect Australia to be very different to their own country.

The British tend to feel it should be similar, hence so many comparisons.

How many Chinese will complain that they don't teach about Oliver Cromwell in an Australian school ?

It is easier for them to adapt, if they want to, as they "expect" everything to be very different.

Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I don't believe that new arrivals to Australia think that it is cheap anymore, far from it infact. Where abouts are you in WA M?

aint that the trut!!! i find its brits who have been here a long time think its cheap, am sure it was when they came but not compared to the u.k any more.
Brits who have been here a long time, tend to have more "Australian" work experience, than newcomers, and maybe get higher rates of pay ?. They also may know the best places to buy things, at the better prices and probably do not do the comparisons in the same way as newcomers.

Costs also depends on what you buy. In the UK we used to buy fruit in season, we tend to do the same here.

Another thread mentioned how expensive fruit is in Australia, quoting the price of Limes, which are about 5 times the price of the UK, yet no mention of Strawberries, which are much more popular, and less than half the UK price.

I am able to compare the UK today with Australia today, and I know which standard of living I prefer.

Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:10 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Brits who have been here a long time, tend to have more "Australian" work experience, than newcomers, and maybe get higher rates of pay ?. They also may know the best places to buy things, at the better prices and probably do not do the comparisons in the same way as newcomers.

Costs also depends on what you buy. In the UK we used to buy fruit in season, we tend to do the same here.

Another thread mentioned how expensive fruit is in Australia, quoting the price of Limes, which are about 5 times the price of the UK, yet no mention of Strawberries, which are much more popular, and less than half the UK price.

I am able to compare the UK today with Australia today, and I know which standard of living I prefer.
That just isn't correct for the whole of Australia. We pay a lot more here in WA for our fruit, veg. and bread, so no doubt pay more for other things too. I think Strawberries are really expensive here and I've been here nigh on 12 years and yes, before you ask, I have been back to the UK and I do have a very large family there too. We took my sister and BIL to our fresh markets while they were here and what we thought was reasonable, they thought was expensive. They couldn't believe how much food is here and what poor quality most of it is too. I think they were expecting to us to have beautiful exotic fruits and vegetables that they couldn't get back home, how wrong they were.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Sep 19th 2008 at 7:12 am.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Almost any country where the people expect Australia to be very different to their own country.

How many Chinese will complain that they don't teach about Oliver Cromwell in an Australian school ?

It is easier for them to adapt, if they want to, as they "expect" everything to be very different.
That's like comparing apples with pears though. Australia descends from a European background so the history, politics, culture etc is all inter-related and relevant. China is a wholly different culture (not saying that Australia isn't but there a hell of a lot of synergies with the way our cultures operate).
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:02 am
Account Closed

I DEFINATELY know the cheapest place to get things, (i have to know, our money doesnt go far!!) i think it will also depend whereabouts you came from in the u.k, scotland being a much cheaper place to live than most parts of england,

coming from a smally ayrshire town, to a large suburb in melbourne, i know which standard of living i prefer also
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think most Chinese would expect (quite rightly) that kids in Australia would know what the capital of China is, that there is a Great Wall and that Chairman Mao drove the Cultural Revolution - that's of similar ilk! Similarly I would expect them to know that America had a Civil War interlinked with slavery, that there was apartheid in South Africa until quite recently, the basics of WWII as it impacted on the world - very much more of a world view than the little insularity that happens now.

But, as Rabsody said, with a European heritage, there is much more cultural intertwining and relevance. Australia has an inverted snobbery with respect to England - especially in the past 20 years or so when it hasnt been fashionable or PC to acknowledge that history/heritage.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SNIP yet no mention of Strawberries, which are much more popular, and less than half the UK price.

Strawberries?????????? OMG - I went home in July and had strawberries that actually TASTED like strawberries for half the price that I pay here. I couldnt believe it, I had a huge punnet (1kg?) and every single one of them tasted brilliant. So much so that I was back to the market the next day to get another. I ate so many strawberries I think I began to look like one. I will never buy another tasteless pap strawberry here again - ever!

I was agreeably surprised (and so was my naturally resistant DH) to the variety, quality and value of fresh fruit and veg in the markets everywhere that we went. He even muttered some words of appreciation in Waitrose fresh fruit and veg when we were unable to get to a market - and that takes some doing!

I know which standard of living I prefer too! And, being a very long term Aussie resident, I know just where to go to get cheap f & v (and everything else really) and it aint here!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by quoll
I think most Chinese would expect (quite rightly) that kids in Australia would know what the capital of China is, that there is a Great Wall and that Chairman Mao drove the Cultural Revolution - that's of similar ilk! Similarly I would expect them to know that America had a Civil War interlinked with slavery, that there was apartheid in South Africa until quite recently, the basics of WWII as it impacted on the world - very much more of a world view than the little insularity that happens now.

But, as Rabsody said, with a European heritage, there is much more cultural intertwining and relevance. Australia has an inverted snobbery with respect to England - especially in the past 20 years or so when it hasnt been fashionable or PC to acknowledge that history/heritage.

my daughter at school recently got taught a little of chinese history and they also learn chinese , she can sing in chinese, but has no idea what she's singing about, i agree with the snobery in respect to the british heritage, sometimes i feel my daughter gets a bit of a hard time at school due to the fact she's british, so much so we have thought about changing schools, but who's to say the next school will be better

I know kids will be kids, but she has been excluded at times

'coz she talks funny'

'she it too white'

and obviously this is a kid quoting a parent 'we have british morals'

(but she's also a little minx and no angel by a long shot, lol)

however with any complaint i have the school has acted rapidly and the problem is sorted.

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 19th 2008 at 9:22 am.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think we all get that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.