Such a relief

Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Such a relief

I just found this website and am so happy to see so many people excited about moving home. I've lived in the US for the past 20 years and have spent much of that time trying to get home (unlike the rest of my family who all fit in immediately, I've never been "home" here). For some reason or other, it's never happened until now, although I've managed to get home at least three or four times a year (poor hubby; he never gets to go anywhere else). In less than three months, however, I'm back home to start my master's degree, with hopefully my husband and I staying there permanently when I'm done. I'm so excited about finally going home I can hardly sleep at night. The only thing is that I get so much grief from people in the UK who can't understand why I would leave my cozy life in the US for life in the Uk. Luckily I have a couple of girlfriends (best friends since we were children) who are almost as excited as me (been out buying kettles and kitchenware for me - bless!). Anyway, I'm just so pleased that I'm not the only mad one who misses cold winters, rainy grey days, drying washing on a line, decent tea, and sitting in a pub with my lovely girlfriends! Thanks for all making me feel so much better about this decision.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Such a relief

Originally Posted by TaraC
..........The only thing is that I get so much grief from people in the UK who can't understand why I would leave my cozy life in the US for life in the Uk.......
Yes, why *would* you want to switch your big house for a little terrace without even a garage ......... and how will you possibly cope without drive-through ATMs, insinkorator, 24-hour pharmacies and........ eh....... and...

<<<sigh>>>

Happy Homecoming!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:50 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,Its great to read your thread,wishen you all the luck in the world.Im new on this site to,and they all sure do know what they are talking about.Im not sure they know how helpful they are at times.Here,s to you and to them.Warmest wishes and have loads of fun. Hope your degree goes well.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Elvira;4968460]Yes, why *would* you want to switch your big house for a little terrace without even a garage ......... and how will you possibly cope without drive-through ATMs, insinkorator, 24-hour pharmacies and........ eh....... and...

<<<sigh>>>

So true. I'm just so thrilled to be going back to decent takeaways and real sausages, I don't care about anything else. Plus, I'll be a student and really really won't have any luxuries, but it just doesn't matter! I'm sure I will miss our house and garden (ok, I'll definitely miss my garden), but the thought of actually being home after all these years . . . bliss. No more having to drive 10 miles to find PG Tips in the supermarket! I'm even taking my cats and am almost done with the PET scheme, so as long as hubby manages to come out a couple of weekends a month I'll be set.

Still, it is great to feel validated by all the posts on here. There comes a time when you do wonder, especially when dragging along a spouse who is really addicted to American plumbing! At times, I think I'm obsessed but reading the posts, I don't think I'm much different than anyone else.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraC
.........dragging along a spouse who is really addicted to American plumbing!..........
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=perfect+dump

You can leave it for him to read in the bog...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira

Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elvira

OMG. That's bad. Funny though.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:49 pm
This space for rent

freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! I am delighted and more than a little envious.
Enjoy home.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freezerman
Congratulations! I am delighted and more than a little envious.
Enjoy home.
Thank you. I really hope I do -- there's always that niggling little worry, but I figure I'll never know if it's what I really want until I try.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher
Hi there,Its great to read your thread,wishen you all the luck in the world.Im new on this site to,and they all sure do know what they are talking about.Im not sure they know how helpful they are at times.Here,s to you and to them.Warmest wishes and have loads of fun. Hope your degree goes well.
Welome to the site dreamcatcher.
Nice part of France you're in....nearly chose France over Oz, would'be been alot closer!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher
Hi dreamcatcher. Are you planning on moving home as well or staying in France?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:52 am

Thank you both.Im coming to grips with looking round the site slowly.Im really pleased to of come across it.They are very helpful and funny.My husband works in uk, and comes back every month or so, eventually he will stay here to.Cant wait for that.stayed in states for about 1yr but just to look up my roots.It sure is a nice part of France.We have moved and moved hopefully now we have found home.We all keep uprooting,Id like to think eventually we all find home, wherever it is.Its taken us years,loads mistakes,but what experiences we have had and are having,from tears to cheers.Wishing all the very very best,dont give up because its out there,

Coo I just spellchecked myself Glad I did.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have moved and moved hopefully now we have found home.We all keep uprooting,Id like to think eventually we all find home, wherever it is

Isn't that the truth? I'll never regret living in the States, and I do think the US is an amazing place, but it just isn't home, even after all this time. My only fear is that now I've been away from the UK for so long it may not be my "home" either. My friends don't seem to think it'll be a problem, as they think I fit in easily whenever I go back, but visiting and living are two very different things. We're hoping that by my living in the UK for a year to study, while my husband stays put in the US, we can make a more educated decision as to what we want to do without making a huge financial commitment. Moving home is a very emotional decision for me at the moment, but since I'm uprooting my husband from his home, we need to make sure it also becomes a logical choice and not just one that stems from homesickness. Who knows? I may decide that the US is the place after all (although I do doubt it).

I'm glad you've found your niche -- at least hopefully.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:51 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Tara, I think you and I were seperated at birth!!

I've a long way to go yet before I can snuggle up in the central heat as my pup is only just going for her rabies test this Saturday, but I'm also having trouble sleeping at night. I have a lot of other stuff on mind as well, stuff that's not pleasant at all, but my mind always drifts back to the UK.

You can give me all the conveniences in the world, and nothing would ever replace what I'm missing there. The other day, my mum called and said that as it was my nan's 80th birthday in August, the family were having a party. Well, my family is of Irish descent, and it's huge. I miss larking around to ridiculous novelty songs on the dance floor with the cousins I haven't seen for months, and stuffing my face with sausage rolls.

One of my brothers, who now lives in Ireland, said he's taking his wife out sightseeing for the weekend, and it nearly broke my heart that I wasn't there to go with them. I haven't even met her yet, and he's been married for about 1 year.

Right now, I'm having to drive home in the stifling Florida heat on my lunch to take the dog out, and it takes 25 minutes just to get through all the traffic lights. By the time I get there, I only have a few minutes to take her to the toilet, maybe a quick game of fetch, and then I have to go back to work again. I miss everything being right on the doorstep.

I also miss my kettle. It's almost impossible to find one, let alone a decent one. I have one now, but it just recently conked out, and I can't be bothered to hunt for another so I just boil water on the stovetop.

There are some things that I will genuinely miss about the US, house size being one of them, but if I could turn back the clock, I would. And I'd count my blessings that I have my family around whenever I need them.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Tara, I think you and I were seperated at birth!!

I've a long way to go yet before I can snuggle up in the central heat as my pup is only just going for her rabies test this Saturday, but I'm also having trouble sleeping at night. I have a lot of other stuff on mind as well, stuff that's not pleasant at all, but my mind always drifts back to the UK.

You can give me all the conveniences in the world, and nothing would ever replace what I'm missing there. The other day, my mum called and said that as it was my nan's 80th birthday in August, the family were having a party. Well, my family is of Irish descent, and it's huge. I miss larking around to ridiculous novelty songs on the dance floor with the cousins I haven't seen for months, and stuffing my face with sausage rolls.

One of my brothers, who now lives in Ireland, said he's taking his wife out sightseeing for the weekend, and it nearly broke my heart that I wasn't there to go with them. I haven't even met her yet, and he's been married for about 1 year.

Right now, I'm having to drive home in the stifling Florida heat on my lunch to take the dog out, and it takes 25 minutes just to get through all the traffic lights. By the time I get there, I only have a few minutes to take her to the toilet, maybe a quick game of fetch, and then I have to go back to work again. I miss everything being right on the doorstep.

I also miss my kettle. It's almost impossible to find one, let alone a decent one. I have one now, but it just recently conked out, and I can't be bothered to hunt for another so I just boil water on the stovetop.

There are some things that I will genuinely miss about the US, house size being one of them, but if I could turn back the clock, I would. And I'd count my blessings that I have my family around whenever I need them.
it is family that makes the difference. We were never lucky enough to have kids, but I have Godchildren in the UK, as well as my cousins' kids and my stepsister's. Every time I go back, I realize how much I miss all those family get togethers especially as I get older. My husband is brilliant and even agreed to let us get married in the UK. It was the first time all my family had been together in years and was fantastic. My friendships are different there too. The friends I have there are ones I've had since I was in junior school, plus their newer friends, who have become my friends over the years. My hubby gets on with their spouses (well, most of them), and there's nothing like sitting around the dinner table with a good bottle of wine and a curry solving the world's problems. I've never really found that here, although i do have very good friends here. They just don't have the shared history. I don't begrudge my time here, as I have made good friends, had a great education and career, and met a wonderful man. It's just time to see if I'll feel more settled back home -- and if I don't, well, I gave it a chance.

I hope everything goes well with your PET scheme. I was very nervous about it, as I heard horror stories about filling out everything and still having problems, but the DEFRA helpline people have been so amazing. We also just heard from a friend who moved back a month ago, and her dog went through with flying colours. No problems at all.

I'm with you on the heat -- we're in Virginia,a nd I'm longing for rain. Wait though, after a few months back home I'll be whinging about no sun! BTW: I found my Krups cordless electric kettle on Amazon. We've had it over a year now and no problems at all. It's wonderful being able to stumble down in the mornings and just flip the switch . . . just like home!

Good luck with everything. I'm so glad I found this forum. It's brilliant to not feel so alone and so ungrateful!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.