Wikiposts

Stuck in Canada

Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:12 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck in Canada

Originally Posted by wannabecalgarypc
Thanks for the information everyone. I don't mind being the immigrant it will make a nice change

I know its not all going to be rainbows and butterflies

But a chance at a different live, I look forward to the day I can transfer as a PC from here to Calgary, from people in the job already I only here good things, from what I have researched and been told the good out weigh the bad so I am willing to give it a shot. As for Warwick Castle I am sure I can live without it, trade that in for a day snowboarding any day. Not too worried about history to be honest as I love the now and what the future holds. As for Crime yes of course its everywhere I deal with it in my day job on a day to day basis, but some places/countries have less then others.

I will miss family yes but they have there lives and I have mine I cant stay near them all the time just to make sure I don't miss them, it will give them somewhere to visit at least

So far the people wanting to move back have not said anything that makes me think or put me off the idea. I can always make new friends as well.

Sounds like you have had a bad time of it which is a shame. I do hope that coming back here makes you happier I would be happy to trade places with you in a heartbeat
With any luck you will do fine. Its often stuff you take for granted and never think about that you find you miss. Its OK to miss stuff, thats part of the deal with emigrating. Everyone is different in what they can ultimately tolerate, and no one should judge anyone for giving it a go.

Until you have tried it for a while there is really absolutely no way to tell how it will go in the long term. Just avoid making any hasty decisions in the first year, you owe it to yourself to give it that long as homesickness and culture shock are an almost inevitable part of the immigration landscape and can seriously cloud your judgement. Best to bone up on recognising them in advance because denial is part of the problem too. Sure, some people hate it after a month, and continue to hate it till they return, but many hate it at some point in the first year, but stick it out a while longer and everything falls into place for them.

I never used to dwell on family ties either, but easily the single worst thing in 12 years of living overseas was not saying goodbye to my mum, she went into hospital, and I never got to visit her before she passed on. If I didnt have two good brothers to watch out for my Dad a bit then its something that could easily gnaw at me now. You sort of know its going to happen when you decide to follow this path, but until it happens you dont really know how its going to be.

I do have the utmost respect for anyone prepared to move their family around the world. The worst situation to be in must be for one person to love it and another to hate it, the stress must be awful.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 19th 2009 at 4:32 am.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 5:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

And what was with the comment to the other guy about innit? I never said innit in my post?? Did I miss something
I think you're missing rather a lot. However, my use of "innit" was an attempt to ridicule your comment by succinctly suggesting it was an ignorant one.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 5:48 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Rose tinted??

I live in the UK so I know what it is like. True I do not live in Canada yet, but from what I read people want to move back because of Snow for the most part. As for what I like about Canada its all fact, the views are great you cannot say otherwise, the schools are better Canada ranks 4th out of 50 countries and the UK is not in the top 50 list.

I am not looking to upset people more understand why people want to leave and come back here is all. Just curious I guess.

And what was with the comment to the other guy about innit? I never said innit in my post?? Did I miss something
The point of dbd`s comment, is that Canada probably has an even bigger immigrant influx than the UK. In fact most western European countries have a huge influx of immigrants anyway. Without looking at the figures, just walking around any medium to large European city will quickly reveal this.

Moving to somewhere like Greenland, would certainly give you plenty of snow and fresh air. Also, you certainly wouldn`t be invaded by an influx if immigrants either.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Moving to somewhere like Greenland, would certainly give you plenty of snow and fresh air. Also, you certainly wouldn`t be invaded by an influx if immigrants either.
Unexpectedly, I agree with Jules, Greenland does seem a suitable destination.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

What I would not give to trade you mine and my family's places in the UK to be in Canada

Imigrant influx gone mad. No thanks
Err, have you been here? Canada takes in way more immigrants than the UK pro-rata for population. Virtually everyone is descended from immigrants and you too will be one !!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Err, have you been here? Canada takes in way more immigrants than the UK pro-rata for population. Virtually everyone is descended from immigrants and you too will be one !!
along with the discrimination that comes along with that- you need to be aware that nothing you have done in your previous life counts-you are nothing, you have to prove yourself again! Just be warned..
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:59 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
along with the discrimination that comes along with that- you need to be aware that nothing you have done in your previous life counts-you are nothing, you have to prove yourself again! Just be warned..
Thats not been my experience at all. People are generally politely curious at first, and after a while you are just another white middle class person living in Canada.

I think there are other migrant groups here who get a much harder time of it.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:14 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats not been my experience at all. People are generally politely curious at first, and after a while you are just another white middle class person living in Canada.

I think there are other migrant groups here who get a much harder time of it.
Not my experience either. Some posts just sound like sour grapes to me !
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps worded a little strongly, but it is definitely a factor in Canada, that I don't believe exists to the same extent in places like Aus/NZ. Whether it's discrimination, protectionism or parochialism, I shall leave for another time....
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Perhaps worded a little strongly, but it is definitely a factor in Canada, that I don't believe exists to the same extent in places like Aus/NZ. Whether it's discrimination, protectionism or parochialism, I shall leave for another time....
Maybe it depends on the area and the profession- I am just stating my experience-its not sour grapes just factual!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:07 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it depends on the area and the profession- I am just stating my experience-its not sour grapes just factual!
Agree with you Shelley.

This only applies to a minority of people but there is parochialism here. Its the whole 'Canadian Experience' thing.

Being white and middle class (both of which I am) helps a lot I'd think.

But you're a Brit everytime you open your mouth and speak, and no longer 'just you'. Part of living abroad, and something you don't think too much about until you try it.

But I have a new respect for all immigrants everywhere having tried it...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Definitely
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Agree with you Shelley.

This only applies to a minority of people but there is parochialism here. Its the whole 'Canadian Experience' thing.

Being white and middle class (both of which I am) helps a lot I'd think.

But you're a Brit everytime you open your mouth and speak, and no longer 'just you'. Part of living abroad, and something you don't think too much about until you try it.

Have to agree. I find that I'm just another white, middle class person until I speak then people look at me like I'm an alien from another planet.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Not my experience either. Some posts just sound like sour grapes to me !
Nor mine. My UK experience has been a definite asset and is what has got me most jobs (other than my charm and magical personality of course ).

Sometime when applying for a job, you just don't get picked. Could have been the same anywhere. I heard someone blaming the influx of immigrant in the UK as to why they could not get a job there, then blaming Canadians here. Maybe they were overlooking something closer to home!

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 20th 2009 at 12:24 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Nor mine. My UK experience has been a definite asset and is what has got me most jobs (other than my charm and magical personality of course ).

Sometime when applying for a job, you just don't get picked. Could have been the same anywhere. I heard someone blaming the influx of immigrant in the UK as to why they could not get a job there, then blaming Canadians here. Maybe they were overlooking something closer to home!
is there such a being as a real Brit called Abdul with a Glaswegian accent. If there is, would Canadians be less parochial towards him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.