Stuck in Canada

Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:22 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck in Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
Would be interesting wouldnt it. Very few of the brits that I bump into and chat with seem to have any interest in returning to the UK, a few express frustration with job prospects or salary levels, but most seem pretty settled here to be honest.
It might also be interesting to see how many return as a percentage of those who leave the UK and settle successfully in other countries. I do not actually know personally anyone who has returned.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
It might also be interesting to see how many return as a percentage of those who leave the UK and settle successfully in other countries. I do not actually know personally anyone who has returned.
Oh, I do.

Computer guy, bored after a year, went home.

Chartered Accountant, five years, career move to the UK.

Car mechanic, three or four years here then they had a child, decided this was no place for a child.

Horses for courses, or something.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

I would move back tomorrow if I could and really wanted it to be this summer that we went. BUT OH is a lot less bothered and the big problem is he enjoys his job here (ok so not that is not the problem) but he wants to stay with the same employer back in the UK as he has been with them over 15 years now and always been happy. So as soon as there is a job with this company in the UK we could be off ............ but that is very unlikely as they are laying off people, not recruiting. So always feel like we are only here temporarily but sods law we will still be here in 20 years time!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Would be interesting wouldnt it. Very few of the brits that I bump into and chat with seem to have any interest in returning to the UK, a few express frustration with job prospects or salary levels, but most seem pretty settled here to be honest.
I was just reading on another post that a Brit couple were at a party and 4 other couples were planning the move too!..can we start a poll then for pple to register on when they have decided?...I personally don't know how to do this....

It's a great support tool for returnees to know the stats...showing where they came from in UK.. where they went.. ages, and where they are going back to and if they are relocating...it helps to know your not on your own in your age bracket ( the over 50 thread is sooo poplular and has 54 pages now) and generally the area locations would help us do meet-ups back home which many have expressed an interest in doing...
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I think that I'd like to move back but after being here for five years it has increasingly become a tougher decision to make. I've never felt completely settled here but go through phases of being content or less so.

Financially we've remained debt free since moving here and that was never the case back in the UK. It's such a big decision to give up a stable lifestyle, move back and have to get established all over again.

The difficulty is that I'm in a groove where life is okay here (pretty decent in fact) but it never feels like home to me. I really wish that we hadn't made the move in the first place because of all the inner turmoil. It drains me!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
I really wish that we hadn't made the move in the first place because of all the inner turmoil. It drains me!
My hubby has said that before now

Actually - edit - I think I've said it too, in a moment of weakness ... oops.

I don't regret the decision to come really - it would have been a constant nag if we hadn't tried this. Enjoy life, mostly!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

you get shit days wherever you go eh Ann? But do you know what, I'll always feel that "is that the right decision feeling" wherever I chose to be in life from here on. But for now, the OH won't move back to the UK until there is work there for him and the house is sold, so I think the lesser of the two evils is to live in the one country and keep the family together, rather than have it fragmented and still not happy!!!!!!! Bloody life is hard eh...............
Old Nov 15th 2009, 12:37 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi Shelley,

Sorry to say but the car insurance companies do treat you like a foreigner. Despite having 15 year of accident free motoring previous to leaving the Uk, I have a zero no claims. However my insurance is still dirt cheap because West Oxfordshire is one of the lowest crime areas in the UK, I pay £290 per year. My wife is a book keeper, there seem to be tonnes of those jobs around, we've been back since June,

All the best

Jon
You can get a document from your Canadian insurer to say what your record is. Not everyone will accept it, but some will.

Bev
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

good to know!
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:16 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
You can get a document from your Canadian insurer to say what your record is. Not everyone will accept it, but some will.

Bev
In my experience (returned twice), although insurers will give you credit for some no claims, the actual premium before the NCB is higher because you haven't driven in the UK for a long time (and therefore are supposedly a higher risk).

So, for example whereas if you have been living in the UK your basic premium might be £300 minus 40% NCB = £180, if you are a returnee your basic premium might be £500 (high risk driver) minus 40% NCB = £300... PIA, but yet another example of how insurance companies find a way to promise the earth and deliver a bucket of dirt.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

debz12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepnek
I think that I'd like to move back but after being here for five years it has increasingly become a tougher decision to make. I've never felt completely settled here but go through phases of being content or less so.

Financially we've remained debt free since moving here and that was never the case back in the UK. It's such a big decision to give up a stable lifestyle, move back and have to get established all over again.

The difficulty is that I'm in a groove where life is okay here (pretty decent in fact) but it never feels like home to me. I really wish that we hadn't made the move in the first place because of all the inner turmoil. It drains me!
Wow!! I could have written this! Except I'm stuck in NZ!!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Jackie in Vancouver is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone, Yes, I'm another just waiting until my kids finish Uni so I can get home, I moved here 9 years ago and have NO friends or family here, my OH loves it here and will probably stay and so, I will be leaving as a single parent - wow, I have no words to describe my thoughts on moving to Vancouver. I'm medicated, depressed and have another 18 months until my daughter graduates and I can move home. I am however content in the fact that my life will begin again when I get home.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jackie in Vancouver
Hi Everyone, Yes, I'm another just waiting until my kids finish Uni so I can get home, I moved here 9 years ago and have NO friends or family here, my OH loves it here and will probably stay and so, I will be leaving as a single parent - wow, I have no words to describe my thoughts on moving to Vancouver. I'm medicated, depressed and have another 18 months until my daughter graduates and I can move home. I am however content in the fact that my life will begin again when I get home.
How awful for you. I hope you can rebuild your life once you get back to the UK. All the best in the future.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jackie in Vancouver
You sound very depressed, I feel for you having been down that road recently,
maybe you need to go back to your GP. Its not easy this emigrating malarky and can open up a whole can of worms. Are your kids happy to move back with you and how does your OH feel about this?
Best wishes to you and your family and hope it works out for you.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Jackie in Vancouver is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you pinkkristen and bettyboo for your support, my eldest felt she never fitted in and is looking forward to moving back, the youngest tries her best but is stressed about the situation with her dad, but we have a great family back in the UK with lots of phone calls and video links I'm able to cope without the aid of drugs (don't like going down that road). My OH said he really wasn't interested in ever going back so, as they say 'the heart wants what the heart wants' its not an easy decision but I'd rather be happy without him than miserable with him. Life goes on eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.