Wikiposts

Stuck in Canada

Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

katie97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Stuck in Canada

Hi I was at a party at the weekend with 4 British couples and I started the conversation by saying that we are thinking of going back to the UK, the only thing stopping me from going home asap was our pets (1 dog 2 cats need rabies vaccine etc),what surprised me was the 4 couples agreed with me that thay all wanted to go home but financially they felt they had to stay here. I know for us giving up jobs which pay ok, a nice house is a huge factor, I just wondered how many others are in the same situation.

We still do not not know if we will go home, I know it will be difficult having no jobs to go,we would have to rent whereas we have always owned our own home, anywaylots to think of
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:20 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck in Canada

I am very happy in Canada, but I can fully sympathise with the economic reality of trying to sell up here and move back to the UK. The equity value of my home here (~$60k / £35k maybe after the mortgage is paid off) is not realistically going to get me very far in the UK housing market after paying moving expenses!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katie97
Hi I was at a party at the weekend with 4 British couples and I started the conversation by saying that we are thinking of going back to the UK, the only thing stopping me from going home asap was our pets (1 dog 2 cats need rabies vaccine etc),what surprised me was the 4 couples agreed with me that thay all wanted to go home but financially they felt they had to stay here. I know for us giving up jobs which pay ok, a nice house is a huge factor, I just wondered how many others are in the same situation.

We still do not not know if we will go home, I know it will be difficult having no jobs to go,we would have to rent whereas we have always owned our own home, anywaylots to think of
I hear ya...we are in the same boat except that neither of us have a job right now and are relying on savings again to bail us out.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I chat with about 7 Brit families on and off, ie, fairly regularly.

Two are considering going home again, perhaps in the next year or so. Finances will be hit hugely but they feel it will be the right thing to do.

Three families feel they are here for the long haul and have no intentions or inclination to return.

One moved to another province a few weeks ago as Alberta wasn't floating their boat. Financially, this should work in their favour as properties will be cheaper.

One couple have taken career breaks and may or may not return to the UK when that runs out in 2012. Finances are not likely play a part in their decision.

Funny ol' game
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanx Iain from a fellow scouser
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

We have been thinking about going home since last year and have tentative plans for next summer but we have had recent probs with OH job ( that is too long to go into here) so may have to stay another year and I am v worried that we may get " stuck " here. I do feel that the longer we are here the more we get used to the status quo and it's easier to stay than deal with the upheaval of relocating again with 2 reluctant boys who now think they are Canadian.
I envy those who are completely sure that moving back is the right decision and wish we weren't wavering so much.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

know what u mean. "Stuck" here too for the same reasons, but am hoping the offspring will have the urge to move back as they get older. OH very against any such thing.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back with next to nothing, the job market isn't as bad as you might think in the UK. My wife was offered 3 jobs in 2 weeks. Cost of living for us is a little cheaper than Canada also. Especially the weekly food shop, Car insurance and Mobile bills.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
We moved back with next to nothing, the job market isn't as bad as you might think in the UK. My wife was offered 3 jobs in 2 weeks. Cost of living for us is a little cheaper than Canada also. Especially the weekly food shop, Car insurance and Mobile bills.
Hi Jon Frank- if you don't mind me asking when did you move back? What line of work is your wife in? Did you have any issues renting/buying a home? Also do the car insurance companies treat you like a foreigner re car insurance or if you can produce letter from previous insurance in UK proving before you left you had no claims bonus?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

We're moving back in just over four weeks now. We don't have jobs yet but I do have an interview a few days after we're back. We'll be in a rental place for a few months and will be relying on some savings we've built up until we get jobs. It is a lot of uncertainty but we feel it's the right move to make now as Canada's not for us and going back sooner rather than later is better.

There are jobs to be had, just a case of being focused on finding one.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi Jon Frank- if you don't mind me asking when did you move back? What line of work is your wife in? Did you have any issues renting/buying a home? Also do the car insurance companies treat you like a foreigner re car insurance or if you can produce letter from previous insurance in UK proving before you left you had no claims bonus?
Hi Shelley,

Sorry to say but the car insurance companies do treat you like a foreigner. Despite having 15 year of accident free motoring previous to leaving the Uk, I have a zero no claims. However my insurance is still dirt cheap because West Oxfordshire is one of the lowest crime areas in the UK, I pay £290 per year. My wife is a book keeper, there seem to be tonnes of those jobs around, we've been back since June,

All the best

Jon
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

So we are not alone!!!! It's funny I used to log onto British Expats and go straight to the immigration forum, then I started to look at the Caniversary and The Maple Leaf forums, now I just look at moving back to the UK forum. Off to finish the ironing, none of the girls I work with iron and are horrifed I do, but that is one British tradition I don't seem to be able to give (plus I have a large glass of wine when I finish)

Hubby is sorting the ironing out while I iron and discuss our move home!!!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi Shelley,

Sorry to say but the car insurance companies do treat you like a foreigner. Despite having 15 year of accident free motoring previous to leaving the Uk, I have a zero no claims. However my insurance is still dirt cheap because West Oxfordshire is one of the lowest crime areas in the UK, I pay £290 per year. My wife is a book keeper, there seem to be tonnes of those jobs around, we've been back since June,

All the best

Jon
I'm not sure this is always correct, maybe it varies from company to company? We had almost a year in the UK in 05/06. We bought a car when we arrived and NFU Insurance had no problems at all with giving us no claims bonus deduction based on our history from Canada. We've been out of the UK for almost 20 years.....but you are correct the insurance was much cheaper than what we pay in NS.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

I would love to see a poll on just how many are returning (seems like droves) and including young ones as well as the older returnees...mainly to see the numbers, areas they are returning or relocating to...
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I would love to see a poll on just how many are returning (seems like droves) and including young ones as well as the older returnees...mainly to see the numbers, areas they are returning or relocating to...
Would be interesting wouldnt it. Very few of the brits that I bump into and chat with seem to have any interest in returning to the UK, a few express frustration with job prospects or salary levels, but most seem pretty settled here to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.