Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Strangers recently registered for council tax and utility bills at grandfather’s hous

Strangers recently registered for council tax and utility bills at grandfather’s hous

Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strangers recently registered for council tax and utility bills at grandfather’s

If it's a scam to use the address, the next "trick" might be doing a mail redirection to the scammer's current address (or one of those mail box services). The re-direction only goes on the envelope, so the scammer takes the letter - with "their address" and good to go.

I absolutely agree that the first place to check is the land registry office. This just does NOT look right. I would also call Action Fraud - the Citizens Advice Bureau can also give some links to help with this.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strangers recently registered for council tax and utility bills at grandfather’s

Originally Posted by formula

I don't think I have seen more scams than in Paris. Who would have thought that so many people could lose their "gold" wedding rings in one day and "strangers" always saw them lying by my feet

Got me with that one on my first overseas trip. Talk about wide-eyed and stupid!
Old Dec 14th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio
If it's a scam to use the address, the next "trick" might be doing a mail redirection to the scammer's current address (or one of those mail box services). The re-direction only goes on the envelope, so the scammer takes the letter - with "their address" and good to go.
You can check that by posting an empty envelope addressed to the scammers name at the grandfather's address. Then see if it arrives on the grandfathers mat. If it doesn't arrive, then go down to the Post Office and inform they so that they can stop the redirection. They or you, can then let the police know where the mail is being redirected to.

I would protect your grandfather by writing recorded mail, to all 3 benefits agencies too as you never know when your grandfather might need benefits and his legitimate claim might be held up as the scammers are claiming they live at his address and committing benefit fraud. Or perhaps he is already claiming? Any new claim at his address might stop or reduce his claim, until the relevant benefits agency investigate?

The 3 benefits agencies are:-
His local council - The benefits Housing and Council Tax.
HMRC - The benefits Tax Credits, State Pension, Pension Credit, Child Benefit
DWP - all other benefits.

The local council also deal with the Council Tax 25% single person reduction and the electoral roll.

Maybe report this to the local CCG too in case this is an NHS scam? You can find his local CCG here.
http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Cli...cationSearch/1

If you also report this to crimestoppers on their site or by phone, they will also bring this to the attention of the police.

Last edited by formula; Dec 14th 2013 at 10:01 am.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 10:06 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if they are trying to prove habitual residence prior to turning up from abroad? So they can claim benefits etc.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Got me with that one on my first overseas trip. Talk about wide-eyed and stupid!
The one at Le Louve was obvious. Eastern Europeans in tourist areas with clipboards asking questions If you stopped, others with clipboards gathered around you. I was surprised how little the French police protected the tourist hotspots.

Last edited by formula; Dec 14th 2013 at 10:20 am.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brissybee
I wonder if they are trying to prove habitual residence prior to turning up from abroad? So they can claim benefits etc.
Or claiming from several addresses? NHS and welfare have always been easy targets, hence why all the changes have to happen.

It's about time we moved into getting biometrics for claimants and DNA for any children they say are theirs; although there are proposals in the pipeline of limiting the number of children per claim and giving benefits on a benefit card, instead of cash to the claimant. The benefit card will have restricitons on what claimants buy and where the can use it.

Last edited by formula; Dec 14th 2013 at 10:19 am.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 11:34 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Eastern Europeans most likely going for the false property rental for peeps wanting to find a let UK property before arriving with their families. They have to set up some base for checks put on them to convince the innocent parties to hand over the cash.
Many people living overseas wanting to rent in the UK are being caught on line in the same manner.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula

....I always open mail that has my address on it. You should always check your credit files and bank accounts often too.
Me too mate, and I don't hesitate to contact the sender to inform them that the addressee either doesn't live there or used to live there and has moved.

Even if it's only an oversight, the last thing you need is someone being listed at your address who doesn't live there.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:52 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but you might also want to contact the credit reference agencies to make sure no one else is applying for credit at your grandfathers address - Experian and Equifax I think are the main ones - and should be able to help.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is either a clerical error at the council office or someone is on the scam. In both cases you have to contact council ASAP.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:40 am
Just Joined

ScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond repute

Morning all,

A big thank you for your replies, in particular some of the lengthy ones with some good info and links to follow up with. I took a trip down to Scouseland over the weekend to get all the documents in order.

Council – Apparently they can remove him from their register without his consent, but to add him back requires a visit in person. A nuisance for most people but when you’re housebound due to ill health it’s a right pain to be bundled in your wheel chair and taken out into the cold.

Utility company – The account is £200 in credit and was transferred from an address a few miles away from Granddad’s house.

I’m still hoping it’s an honest mistake and that new tenants have got confused and given the wrong address, but proceeding under the assumption that something bad is in progress.

If I learn anymore I’ll post back. Thanks again, coming from Liverpool we are of course unaccustomed to any form of criminal activity
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

One thing - a mistake (maybe)...two brings to mind the adage "fool me twice, shame on me".

I truly hope this gets sorted and that your granddad doesn't suffer any ill effects from worry.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScouseMan
Council – Apparently they can remove him from their register without his consent, but to add him back requires a visit in person. A nuisance for most people but when you’re housebound due to ill health it’s a right pain to be bundled in your wheel chair and taken out into the cold.
I suspect that means they need to be certain and that might entail some face to face interview for identification purposes done, preferably from their point of view, on their premises.

But since the action taken was theirs I'm sure that a home visit would be made if insisted upon.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio
I truly hope this gets sorted and that your granddad doesn't suffer any ill effects from worry.
+1

He is lucky to have such a caring grandson to look out for him.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

well said Durham-lad! He is lucky indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.