Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Spring coming early again.

Spring coming early again.

Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:50 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring coming early again.

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Did you try anywhere other than Perth?

I'm sure that somewhere on the internet a disillusioned immigrant to the UK is posting: "I went to England, don't know what they are going on about, Gravesend is a toilet".

A girl I met took me to Ravenswood in north-eastern Queensland to meet her family, thats about it.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:15 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
A girl I met took me to Ravenswood in north-eastern Queensland to meet her family, thats about it.
and that's a ghost town!!!

Seriously though does anyone actually live in Ravenswood? Last time I went it was truthfully a ghost town. Concrete steps that led to buildings that were no longer there as they had been taken when everyone left when the gold ran out.

Did you stop by Charters Towers when you were there because at least that is a mark on the map?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Went for a walk today with the dog. Went out all rugged up and ended up carrying coat, hat, gloves and scarf as it was too hot! Blue skies today and noticed the cherry blossoms are out as well as the daffs and crocuses! We sat in the beer garden without coats on and enjoyed a nice chat to various people who commented on our dog. Of course they all couldn't believe we had left Australia!
Hi I enjoy reading your posts, I would just like to know why you returned to the U.K? I am curious as most West Aussies I have met have never left W.A and when I ask would you like to go to Europe etc...most reply "No...got everything here and the U.K......no..cold,wet & crowded"...it's just nice to hear from someone who has travelled and chooses to live in another country...and if you don't mind me saying...it's not often I meet an Australian who has lived abroad......mind you I do live in West Australia....no offence meant....by my last comment....I really have not met many W.Aussies who have travelled even out of this state....
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ilsretail
been a lurker since 2002

i was born in wolverhampton. hated britain with a passion, hated weather, ect. wanted to move abroad to find that better life.

decided to move to southwest instead...(uk)..... damn! im 20 mins from beach, minutes from rolling countryside, minutes from wales!

loving it wouldt change a thing.

weather today for all you guys stuck in oz: 16 degrees, went to weston beach, absolutely packed, people everywhere ennjoying themselves.

dog walkers, hikers in shorts, donkey rides, kite flyers, jet skiers, candyfloss, ice cream!!!

we had chips, went to ASDA to buy salad and olives, ate on said beach.

just got back......best time ive had for YEARS. and in UK!

moral of story....ignore the miserable trolls on here, moaning about uk, when the problem isnt uk, its the individual/circumstance that they cannot deal with properly.

i love uk!!!
This was lovely to read....I remember saying to my husband just before we left for Perth..."should we not try living say in North Wales"..(we are originally from Manchester...although happy where we lived we wanted a "change") my OH said..."No...we have our tickets and visas, we have sold our home..let's give it a try"......I use to say I had no regrets...life's for trying new things" etc..but now really if I am honest I do wish we had just changed areas......save a lot of heartache in the long run but you cannot turn back the clock...we are heading home this year with our sons (14 & 16) and they are really wanting to return home as well..which is great...my husband and myself would like to move nearer the coast but we are moving back so our sons can be near to their friends and family...we are hoping to move more into Cheshire though...just for a change..and about 15/20 min drive from where we use to live....it will be lovely for all of us but in time my husban and myself will look to then live where we would like to...it might be where we settle.....but you are right in everythng you say...a move to a different area can do wonders.....I love the U.K and I am sick to death of people coming onto this site and "knocking" it all the time...so thanks....and to Backhomeatlast....brill threads and everything you say about Perth is true...been here 10years trying to make it work..but not anymore....Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins......
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by saveme
The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins......
By the Australian author Dorothea Mackellar "My Country".....very nice....
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alliekate
Talking about Argos I even miss the catalogue..................

OMG do you think I have completely mad here ?

By the way, the rain is so bad here we have had to empty our pool out physically by buckets every day (the back pump has packed up) and I have just checked and we have to do it again tomorrow. The overflow from it has killed all our grass and we had just re-seeded it (ha ha) ....... And overflowed the septic tank. Again (had it emptied 2 weeks ago !!!) :curse:

English rain ???? Bring it on !!!!!

At least we are still laughing

A xx ps how are the daffoldils coming on ???
no you are not mad! Sounds like you're having a mare at the mo, what with the pool and the septic tank!!! talk about swimming in s**t!

Has it stopped raining yet? x
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz

well me too!!! Do your kids call footy soccer?? Whats that about?! Me and oh were only talking abouth the trampoline thing today, brought it over and it doesnt get used! boys dont do as much over here, climbing trees included!! I dont like sitting on grass either! (we have skippy ants here!)

Not sure wether that makes me silly moaning pom or dizzy brit?! I bet vim will put me straight on that!

Should we sue? Misleading advertising maybe?!

Well another lovely weekend down under.....what shall we do? Beach, fishing or bbq.....oh what a choice! Eany meany miny mo......
My 9 year old yes the 5 year old no.

It was the beach for us this weekend as our pool pump died last week and the bloody thing is green as grass.

When do you guys go home?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brits1
By the Australian author Dorothea Mackellar "My Country".....very nice....
Well spotted!

Sorry, I was trying to catch a homesick Pom out who would swoon at those luscious images of 'Blighty' (very evocative but out of context?) and then I would paste in the rest. I've got it on tape read by Ruth Cracknell. Many of my Aussie friends know it by heart.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola411
My 9 year old yes the 5 year old no.

It was the beach for us this weekend as our pool pump died last week and the bloody thing is green as grass.

When do you guys go home?
well, i'd like to say soon, but as our uk vet didnt tell me about re entry into uk for dogs requires rabies.....and subject to 6 months quarentine......we are going to do at least another 3 months. Feel crap making my lovely dog do anytime in quarentine as she already had to do it to get in here...

but in reality it's 4 people v our dog. We are so desperate to get back and buy another house and call it home.

I feel like I'm in limbo, and spend a lot of time on rightmove (and expats!) Hoping houses continue coming down in uk.
Been on propertysnake too. Amazing to see how much houses are coming down.

Are you staying? x
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
well, i'd like to say soon, but as our uk vet didnt tell me about re entry into uk for dogs requires rabies.....and subject to 6 months quarentine......we are going to do at least another 3 months. Feel crap making my lovely dog do anytime in quarentine as she already had to do it to get in here...

but in reality it's 4 people v our dog. We are so desperate to get back and buy another house and call it home.

I feel like I'm in limbo, and spend a lot of time on rightmove (and expats!) Hoping houses continue coming down in uk.
Been on propertysnake too. Amazing to see how much houses are coming down.

Are you staying? x
NO chance in hell are we staying but like you have a few things to tie up first before we can make the long but worthwhile journey home. We are in the procsess of getting the business up for sale now and finishing the renovations on the house so that can go up for sale too. We cant leave without selling both you see as we need the money to get our old life back.

Also I have to deal with the OH who doesent really want to go but is going as he knows I cant live here as this place drives me loopy loo...
So really how long is a piece of string...
I have just got everything crossed that they sell and sell quickly for a great price. Am I dreaming?

Hopefully we will be back for the start of the UK school year in September.
I am just looking into getting our Yorkshire Terrier chipped and ready for the big move so she doesent have to serve any time in quarentine.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:07 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
and that's a ghost town!!!

Seriously though does anyone actually live in Ravenswood? Last time I went it was truthfully a ghost town. Concrete steps that led to buildings that were no longer there as they had been taken when everyone left when the gold ran out.

Did you stop by Charters Towers when you were there because at least that is a mark on the map?

Come to think of it here parents did look odd
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Spring coming early again.

I quite liked Ravenswood - really creepy isn't it ? Apparently a few hundred people live there now (?) , not sure where exactly ...... and I stood on those steps !!! Really sad place.

The most amazing thing for us was going to the lookout point above the new mine - That was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. I think it must be one of those fly in-fly out things, but it looked a really scary place to work. And in that heat - no way !

A xx