Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is this a solution to a UK bank account opening?

Is this a solution to a UK bank account opening?

Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a solution to a UK bank account opening?

I looked at the Transferwise site and they seem to say they open a registered user a UK account.
There is a verification process as part of the signup.

What I am not sure is how to access funds once this is done.

Anyone have experience of this company?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a solution to a UK bank account opening?

Are you referring to their 'borderless' account?

https://transferwise.com/borderless

Probably worth reading their FAQ - they explain it's an Electronic Money account rather than a bank account.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes thats the one, once funds are in the UK from Canada how is money taken out of the UK account to pay for anything?
Do you know?

Thx
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The website mentions the possibility of a debit mastercard for withdrawal by cash machine or presumably paying as if a debit card - by invitation it says.

Aside from that it says "Use your bank details to get paid" in whatever country you want the money in. So you would still need a UK bank account to transfer money to.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

The explanation of this "account" (if that's what it is) is poor.

It looks like it could be a solution for receiving funds from somewhere where one has no bank account. So for some recent threads about receiving pension in the UK, when the provider will only pay to a UK bank account and the recipient does not have one and cannot open one because of residency requirements, it may be a solution.

For withdrawing funds the norm seems to be to withdraw to a bank account. I have also seen some reference to a plan to issue debit cards in the future.

Another aspect which should be checked, and again is not clear to me, is what protection exists for funds in this account.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 12:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Another aspect which should be checked, and again is not clear to me, is what protection exists for funds in this account.
"Your money is protected and safeguarded, but not guaranteed by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) that you may get with a bank account."

Doesn't fill me with overwhelming confidence.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
The explanation of this "account" (if that's what it is) is poor.

It looks like it could be a solution for receiving funds from somewhere where one has no bank account. So for some recent threads about receiving pension in the UK, when the provider will only pay to a UK bank account and the recipient does not have one and cannot open one because of residency requirements, it may be a solution.

For withdrawing funds the norm seems to be to withdraw to a bank account. I have also seen some reference to a plan to issue debit cards in the future.

I agree, it could be a solution for folks, like me, living abroad when a UK private pension plan is ready to start distributing. Fortunately I had kept open my UK bank account so when this situation came up 11 years ago I was able to give the pension company a UK bank account to pay into.

If I was using a Transferwise Borderless account then monthly pension money wouldn't sit there for long before being transferred to my US bank.