So many options!

Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many options!

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I moved permanently to the UK in 1998 and it was a big deal!

......have you now moved on to Vancouver Island?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
......have you now moved on to Vancouver Island?
ha ha, yes for 12 years now with OH but plan to retire back in UK = miss it
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Have you ever tried just this?

Pick one of the cities someone has told you would be a good place to live.

Go to rightmove.co.uk (or any realtor/estate agent) webpage. Find a house or a flat in your price range.

Pick up the address of that house/flat on google maps and then click on images. Move the little man below the North/South wheel and walk the little man all over the neighborhood.

That's what I do when I am looking for a hotel or flat in Europe.
I do that too. It's good to see how far the walk is to shops, pubs, the motorway and also see what kind of condition the neighborhood looks like it's in.
If you are determined to move, pick a place and go for it, do a short term rent, make sure there is good internet for your internet business and live there for the 8 months and see if that is the area for you.
Or leave the dog with friends and book a tour holiday, where the hotels are all included (do they still do those) that way you don't have to try and figure out how to get about and you'll be taken to many different towns and villages to get an idea about where you'd like.
If I were moving for the first time ever and had to start somewhere I think I'd start with Yorkshire, people from there rave about it, it looks beautiful and there are lots of small and medium sized towns to try. Pick somewhere with a mainline train station.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:38 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
As some of you know, I am an American who is trying to figure out where to move to in the UK...sight unseen. I know so many here have tried to help out with this decision making process and it's much appreciated.

I have been reading so much here with great interest and the more I read from you folks that are British citizens that either moved back or never left, it AMAZES ME how many different options there are...so many that people who live there aren't even aware of the particulars of many areas. For such a relatively small country there seem to be so many differences in the weather, the character of the places, the scenery, things to do, COL, shopping, healthcare. You expect big differences in the US, but not in a smallish place like the UK..at least that's me. It's no wonder I, as a person who has never been there, am having a hard time choosing a place to start

I guess I thought previously that there were essentially only a few types of places there - city or country village. Apparently not.

I only know what I see on Masterpiece Theatre/Mystery and Downton Abbey. Oxford looks great to me, but I imagine it's not quite as perfect as it seems on tv. And I don't imagine I will be able to live in a castle, so....

I wish something would just jump out at me in my research and say, "This is where you'll be happy!" Of course, if I were quite wealthy my choices would be endless, and therefore it would be somewhat easier to just pick a place and know that even if I changed my mind later, I would be comfortable.

Imagine just plopping yourself down in another country, alone, not knowing much of anything. Sometimes I think I must be mad to try this, and other times I can hardly wait! If I could just know where to go...

Any thoughts to share?
5 years ago I plopped myself down in another country (Australia from the UK), alone, not knowing much of anything lol!

Its honestly been trial and error. First I lived in Brisbane, was ok but housing was hard to find and expensive. I'm lucky that I can move around with my job (I'm a paramedic) to different stations so I moved to the Gold Coast and I LOVED it! Lived near the beach, got to surf everyday, loved the laid back lifestyle, had lots of visitors from the UK and there was heaps to do!

Got offered an Outback position so thought why not, something different! Moved to the middle of nowhere, full of cowboys, population of 500, 42*C some days, and found myself sitting on my back porch most days watching the trains and tumbleweed roll by! Not my cup of tea long term but the experience was fantastic. At one point I found myself at 3 am tearing along a dirt track in a troop carrier an hour away from hospital with a seriously ill patient dodging kangaroos!

Next I was offered a position in the Tropics where I am now. Its very beautiful, stunning beaches, lush, green and full of palm trees. I have learnt to love the tree frogs in my shower, not be perturbed by snakes in the garden and to try and ignore the big crocodile who sits on the bank sunning himself on the bridge near my house even though I shudder every time I get a glimpse of him I love the sunshine but I don't like the humidity, right now - winter - its just right!

I have learnt I'm more resilient than I ever thought possible, I've had my ups and downs and its been a real adventure but I now have a real appreciation for my own country that I never had before. I love Australia but I miss my family, my friends and the UK so much. I wouldn't change a thing, I'm glad I took the chance but now its time to go home. One thing I found was it was generally easier to make decisions once I was over here, the internet can be very misleading and everyone has strong opinions on where is the best place to live but, in the end, it comes down to YOU as an individual and what makes YOU happy. Good luck with it all, hope it works out for you Oh just read some of the other posts so editing! If your business allows you to work anywhere that will make it easier for you. After living in such a vast country (as you also do) I now see just how everything in the UK is more accessible. You're never too far from a beach, a village, a city, countryside, a town with theatres/music venues/cinemas etc whatever it is that you like to do!

Last edited by MissBetty; Aug 25th 2012 at 10:58 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the US without knowing anyone or having anything but a job. I had never been there before, all I knew was what I had seen on tv. Admittedly I was 22 at the time but it can be done. After building a life for myself for 17 years I am now thinking about moving back to the UK to be closer to my family. Given that you have your own business and it's internet based you can literally have your pick of places and if you find you dont like where you land initially then you can always move and not have to give up your job. I would keep away from London simply because of the expense. Each area has so many different things to offer and you can be out in the country side which your dog will love but then be close enough to a major city for things to do. Maybe think about what you really enjoy doing and check out places that are in line with what you want. Whichever area you decide on you will find plenty of countryside but also metropolitan cities. Maybe close your eyes and point to an area on the map then research that area. It doesnt matter what your reasons are for moving if its what you want to do and you know that you can financially afford to do it the I say go for it!!!!! Best of luck to you
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:53 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

You know Sile, since you seem to be so offended by the way pretty much everyone on this forum speaks to you, I'm going to suggest that maybe the UK isn't right for you. Everyone here is British in some way shape or form, and in almost every thread you post in, you seem to get upset and defensive with the 'plain' manner of speech- regardless of how good the advise given is. If leaving your dog for a week is more of a hassle then properly sorting out where you want to live, then this all may be too much for you at the moment- especially given what you say you've been through recently. You have my sympathy on that as it does sound terrible, but it's still not a reason to up sticks like this without doing even a modicum of serious leg work to make sure your life will be what you want it to be.

My next point is this: don't think even for one second that none of us know how big of a deal a move like this is. The forum is called BritishEXPAT, in other words, everyone here has either done or is planning a move just a big as the one you're considering. Every one of us has experience in what kind of research it takes and how much effort you need to put in to get even the semblance of a normal life in another country, so the advise given is both well meant and hard earned and you'd do well to take it.

It's a shame that you've gotten so ruffled up here on the forum, because honestly BE has some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with online- I believe I mentioned that to you last time? So no, no one's trying to be rude to you deliberately, but I think some of them are getting a bit frustrated with the fact that you post constantly asking for help and advise and don't take it when it's given. That's annoying- not gonna lie.

You may not know this, but some of the most helpful people in this section of the board have responded to your posts on numerous occasions and instead of showing some understanding and use of the information they give to you you choose to pick a fight with wankers like myself who honestly don't give two rabbits whether or not you go, but still bother to try and offer up something.

*Sigh* I usually avoid you on the forum these days as I can't stand having virtual arguments (you miss all my delightful real life turns of phrase that make things like that so much more entertaining) but I'm hoping that you'll at least get some good sense out of this post somewhere. Either get a dartboard or go visit: two other posters have mentioned these options- both are excellent in my opinion, in fact, I'd combine the two.

Good luck. (you'll be needing it I see.)
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I must say about having my dog follow me over - I was not really alone because a dog gets you out and about and meeting fellow dog owners! Today we are lucky to have the internet to research areas, and Rightmove is like my favourite website
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

And about being offended by the British, yes get a thick skin because one thing Americans and Canadians do not share with us, is our sense of humour and we do a lot of sarcastic humour and "tongue in cheak" humour and only if you have grown up with it do you take it for what it is! I find that most Canadians do not understand us when we are being funny and a lot of them are very offended by some of our jokes!
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tel8
You know Sile, since you seem to be so offended by the way pretty much everyone on this forum speaks to you, I'm going to suggest that maybe the UK isn't right for you.
This is something that strikes me, too. Sile, with your best interests at heart, again I suggest that you visit first and see whether you will actually get along with the people there. It's a big part of whether the move will be successful.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:06 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on making the decision to try something new! (ie UK.)

Many people move from the UK to Australia, without first paying the cost of a look-see visit. I understand this is what you're planning from the U.S. to U.K.
Obviously it's risky, but you seem to be in a position where you are accountable to no one but yourself, so why not?

I may have missed earlier posts but am curious as to whether you have determined what type of lifestyle you want to lead in the UK (to help determine where you might like to live?)

Big city, small city, commuter suburb, town, village, outskirts of village, remote?

Being able to work from home you seem to have many choices.

Good luck with finding your happy place.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:20 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tel8
You know Sile, since you seem to be so offended by the way pretty much everyone on this forum speaks to you, I'm going to suggest that maybe the UK isn't right for you. Everyone here is British in some way shape or form, and in almost every thread you post in, you seem to get upset and defensive with the 'plain' manner of speech- regardless of how good the advise given is. If leaving your dog for a week is more of a hassle then properly sorting out where you want to live, then this all may be too much for you at the moment- especially given what you say you've been through recently. You have my sympathy on that as it does sound terrible, but it's still not a reason to up sticks like this without doing even a modicum of serious leg work to make sure your life will be what you want it to be.

My next point is this: don't think even for one second that none of us know how big of a deal a move like this is. The forum is called BritishEXPAT, in other words, everyone here has either done or is planning a move just a big as the one you're considering. Every one of us has experience in what kind of research it takes and how much effort you need to put in to get even the semblance of a normal life in another country, so the advise given is both well meant and hard earned and you'd do well to take it.

It's a shame that you've gotten so ruffled up here on the forum, because honestly BE has some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with online- I believe I mentioned that to you last time? So no, no one's trying to be rude to you deliberately, but I think some of them are getting a bit frustrated with the fact that you post constantly asking for help and advise and don't take it when it's given. That's annoying- not gonna lie.

You may not know this, but some of the most helpful people in this section of the board have responded to your posts on numerous occasions and instead of showing some understanding and use of the information they give to you you choose to pick a fight with wankers like myself who honestly don't give two rabbits whether or not you go, but still bother to try and offer up something.

*Sigh* I usually avoid you on the forum these days as I can't stand having virtual arguments (you miss all my delightful real life turns of phrase that make things like that so much more entertaining) but I'm hoping that you'll at least get some good sense out of this post somewhere. Either get a dartboard or go visit: two other posters have mentioned these options- both are excellent in my opinion, in fact, I'd combine the two.

Good luck. (you'll be needing it I see.)
First of all, thanks for avoiding me and feel free to keep it up.

Secondly,I do not get offended by everyone on this forum. To the contrary, I find that there are very many lovely people as I have stated on more than one occasion. The fact that you say it does not make it true.

Next, I am sure that everyone knows how hard a move to another country is, or a return to your own. However, I don't think many have done it all alone, going to no one at the other end, so that is a big difference between my experience planning and perhaps going.

Also, you may think you are very worldy and smart and in a position to make the kind of remarks you have to me, but if I am not mistaken, you are very young and might not know what you think you know. And you obviously think you are quite the fabulous person. I don't think I need advice from a student going home to live with Mom and Dad, thanks.

* After reading thru some of your posts, I see you are Journalism student. That explains a fee things...and btw, you'd be green with envy if I told you of my credentials.

There is a difference between a "plain manner of speaking" and just being downright snippy. And don't hide behind the excuse that is just the British in you.

As anyone can see by several replies here, there are many nice people here with whom I could never have a problem because they are simply lovely. But I will not just sit here and take someone being nasty without standing up for myslef. And if you want to twist that into me picking fights, go ahead. But please, leave me alone and go be clever and helpful elsewhere.

Last edited by sile; Aug 26th 2012 at 1:52 am. Reason: addition
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:22 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by MissBetty
5 years ago I plopped myself down in another country (Australia from the UK), alone, not knowing much of anything lol!

Its honestly been trial and error. First I lived in Brisbane, was ok but housing was hard to find and expensive. I'm lucky that I can move around with my job (I'm a paramedic) to different stations so I moved to the Gold Coast and I LOVED it! Lived near the beach, got to surf everyday, loved the laid back lifestyle, had lots of visitors from the UK and there was heaps to do!

Got offered an Outback position so thought why not, something different! Moved to the middle of nowhere, full of cowboys, population of 500, 42*C some days, and found myself sitting on my back porch most days watching the trains and tumbleweed roll by! Not my cup of tea long term but the experience was fantastic. At one point I found myself at 3 am tearing along a dirt track in a troop carrier an hour away from hospital with a seriously ill patient dodging kangaroos!

Next I was offered a position in the Tropics where I am now. Its very beautiful, stunning beaches, lush, green and full of palm trees. I have learnt to love the tree frogs in my shower, not be perturbed by snakes in the garden and to try and ignore the big crocodile who sits on the bank sunning himself on the bridge near my house even though I shudder every time I get a glimpse of him I love the sunshine but I don't like the humidity, right now - winter - its just right!

I have learnt I'm more resilient than I ever thought possible, I've had my ups and downs and its been a real adventure but I now have a real appreciation for my own country that I never had before. I love Australia but I miss my family, my friends and the UK so much. I wouldn't change a thing, I'm glad I took the chance but now its time to go home. One thing I found was it was generally easier to make decisions once I was over here, the internet can be very misleading and everyone has strong opinions on where is the best place to live but, in the end, it comes down to YOU as an individual and what makes YOU happy. Good luck with it all, hope it works out for you Oh just read some of the other posts so editing! If your business allows you to work anywhere that will make it easier for you. After living in such a vast country (as you also do) I now see just how everything in the UK is more accessible. You're never too far from a beach, a village, a city, countryside, a town with theatres/music venues/cinemas etc whatever it is that you like to do!
Wow, you have really done a lot of interesting things! Thanks so much for your input. It's very helpful and much appreciated. And what a wonderful profession you have chosen. Thank god for people like you!

Last edited by sile; Aug 26th 2012 at 1:54 am. Reason: addition
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
I moved to the US without knowing anyone or having anything but a job. I had never been there before, all I knew was what I had seen on tv. Admittedly I was 22 at the time but it can be done. After building a life for myself for 17 years I am now thinking about moving back to the UK to be closer to my family. Given that you have your own business and it's internet based you can literally have your pick of places and if you find you dont like where you land initially then you can always move and not have to give up your job. I would keep away from London simply because of the expense. Each area has so many different things to offer and you can be out in the country side which your dog will love but then be close enough to a major city for things to do. Maybe think about what you really enjoy doing and check out places that are in line with what you want. Whichever area you decide on you will find plenty of countryside but also metropolitan cities. Maybe close your eyes and point to an area on the map then research that area. It doesnt matter what your reasons are for moving if its what you want to do and you know that you can financially afford to do it the I say go for it!!!!! Best of luck to you
Thanks so much!. I would love to be able to take my dog for long walks in the countryside..I think of that often. He would be so happy!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Still can't see where anyone's being nasty but ho hum.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by feelbritish
One thing I must say about having my dog follow me over - I was not really alone because a dog gets you out and about and meeting fellow dog owners! Today we are lucky to have the internet to research areas, and Rightmove is like my favourite website
Yes, a dog is a wonderful companion and like a little ambassador.
I ahve looked at rightmove a lot. It is very helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.