So many options!

Old Aug 25th 2012, 3:39 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Arrow So many options!

As some of you know, I am an American who is trying to figure out where to move to in the UK...sight unseen. I know so many here have tried to help out with this decision making process and it's much appreciated.

I have been reading so much here with great interest and the more I read from you folks that are British citizens that either moved back or never left, it AMAZES ME how many different options there are...so many that people who live there aren't even aware of the particulars of many areas. For such a relatively small country there seem to be so many differences in the weather, the character of the places, the scenery, things to do, COL, shopping, healthcare. You expect big differences in the US, but not in a smallish place like the UK..at least that's me. It's no wonder I, as a person who has never been there, am having a hard time choosing a place to start

I guess I thought previously that there were essentially only a few types of places there - city or country village. Apparently not.

I only know what I see on Masterpiece Theatre/Mystery and Downton Abbey. Oxford looks great to me, but I imagine it's not quite as perfect as it seems on tv. And I don't imagine I will be able to live in a castle, so....

I wish something would just jump out at me in my research and say, "This is where you'll be happy!" Of course, if I were quite wealthy my choices would be endless, and therefore it would be somewhat easier to just pick a place and know that even if I changed my mind later, I would be comfortable.

Imagine just plopping yourself down in another country, alone, not knowing much of anything. Sometimes I think I must be mad to try this, and other times I can hardly wait! If I could just know where to go...

Any thoughts to share?

Last edited by sile; Aug 25th 2012 at 4:43 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:42 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many options!

At this point, I think a dartboard would be in order.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Did you sort out your citizenship?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile

Imagine just plopping yourself down in another country, alone, not knowing much of anything. Sometimes I think I must be mad to try this, and other times I can hardly wait! If I could just know where to go...

Any thoughts to share?
Goodness after the numerous posts from the forum giving you advice on places from Scotland to Cornwall, I would have thought you are far from not knowing much about anything.

If you are still so unsure about taking the plunge at this point, do what a lot of people have suggested, go on vacation to the UK.

Take one of those tours on a coach around the place and get a feel for it.

I'm getting the impression that you would rather talk about it than actually do it
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:55 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Goodness after the numerous posts from the forum giving you advice on places from Scotland to Cornwall, I would have thought you are far from not knowing much about anything.

If you are still so unsure about taking the plunge at this point, do what a lot of people have suggested, go on vacation to the UK.

Take one of those tours on a coach around the place and get a feel for it.

I'm getting the impression that you would rather talk about it than actually do it
Yes, that's right, I'm sure. Thanks so much Dr. Freud.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did you sort out your citizenship?
In process.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:37 pm
Banned

You know, I have been sincere and forthright in asking for opinions here. I don't deserve any of this sarcasm and criticism. It's quite easy to be a smart a** when you are anonymous, isn't it?

I wonder how many of you have had all your family members die in a short period of time and be essentially alone in the world, and tried to make plans to make a new start in a new country? I suppose I could take a vacation first, but it's an expensive option which would require my boarding my dog who would think he was being abandoned and I will not do that to him. I rescued him and he spent enough of his little life in a cage before I did. I would like to just get on with a move at this point in time so I am trying to get as much info as possible to try to make as educated a decision as possible. It's a BIG F****** DEAL to attempt this.

Good for you if you could just up and go easily. I can't. I am talking about selling or donating most of my worldly possessions, paying a lot of money for plane tickets and transporting my little dog, getting on a plane and landing in a new country where I know not one person. So if it seems I am not making this decision fast enough or am asking too many questions, too bad. Don't bother with chiming in then.

Last edited by sile; Aug 25th 2012 at 7:41 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I presume your last posting was directed at my reply.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or critical, but you have had people advising you on The Lake district, the South and London, Cornwall, Ireland, places in Scotland - giving you their advice and opinions of these places based on them living there.

However, you have never been to the UK. If you are finding it really difficult to make the move (and in one post you say you have been researching it for years) then do what a number of people have advised and visit the place.

This is going to be far less expensive for you compared to selling up, arriving at wherever you decide to try, and finding you don't like the place or the people or the accommodation etc etc. Your little dog will miss you, but he'll love you all the more when you get back; and why take the almighty risk of moving to another country that you have never been to before.

You are a lady in her 50's, self employed (so you have the worry of maybe not being successful in the UK since who knows if your business will succeed in the UK as compared to the mid-west) and you have never visited a place you are thinking of moving to having seen it on Masterpiece Theatre and Downton Abbey!

OK, I know that you don't think the whole of the UK is like what you see on the TV but some of your views have led people to think you have a somewhat rosy view of the place - and, indeed some places are absolutely lovely, but you have to visit them first to see if it suits YOU.

Look at this link below. There is a fabulous organised tour "Scenic England" going to all the hot spots in the UK. This will give you a taste of the UK.

http://www.trafalgar.com/tours/searc...d=0&lengthid=0

You really should try it.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:31 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Most people wouldn't even move across the US without first visiting the city they are considering living in.

So what you are planning is a big f****** deal worsened by the fact that you have not done the bare minimum that most people would do.

If you are going to take this kind of risk, then you just need to put on your big girl pants and get on with it. I don't know what more you think you can learn without just jumping in. You've been asking all these questions and still have no better image of life in the UK other than what you see on Masterpiece? That's because you've not been ever been to the UK. Surely you understand that your stress level is only amplified by your refusal to visit before you move.

Everyone here has sympathy for you having lost your family. I know I do. But unless a person is a risk-taker, moving up sticks to parts unknown is not the way to deal with loss. You don't seem like a risk taker to me.

Last edited by rebeccajo; Aug 25th 2012 at 8:35 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I presume your last posting was directed at my reply.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or critical, but you have had people advising you on The Lake district, the South and London, Cornwall, Ireland, places in Scotland - giving you their advice and opinions of these places based on them living there.

However, you have never been to the UK. If you are finding it really difficult to make the move (and in one post you say you have been researching it for years) then do what a number of people have advised and visit the place.

This is going to be far less expensive for you compared to selling up, arriving at wherever you decide to try, and finding you don't like the place or the people or the accommodation etc etc. Your little dog will miss you, but he'll love you all the more when you get back; and why take the almighty risk of moving to another country that you have never been to before.

You are a lady in her 50's, self employed (so you have the worry of maybe not being successful in the UK since who knows if your business will succeed in the UK as compared to the mid-west) and you have never visited a place you are thinking of moving to having seen it on Masterpiece Theatre and Downton Abbey!

OK, I know that you don't think the whole of the UK is like what you see on the TV but some of your views have led people to think you have a somewhat rosy view of the place - and, indeed some places are absolutely lovely, but you have to visit them first to see if it suits YOU.

Look at this link below. There is a fabulous organised tour "Scenic England" going to all the hot spots in the UK. This will give you a taste of the UK.

http://www.trafalgar.com/tours/searc...d=0&lengthid=0

You really should try it.

If I didn't have somewhat of a "rosy" view, I wouldn't want to go there. I am not stupid and I don't think everywhere is like Masterpiece Theatre or Downton Abbey.

Also, I don't have a little midwest business. My business is internet based and international in scope, so I can do it anywhere.

And no matter how to try to spin it, you have been sarcastic and critical. But don't feel bad, as you are not alone, as evidenced by the next poster who just can't seem to control herself.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:54 pm
WhiteRabbit

If I didn't have somewhat of a "rosy" view, I wouldn't want to go there. I am not stupid and I don't think everywhere is like Masterpiece Theatre or Downton Abbey.

Also, I don't have a little midwest business. My business is internet based and international in scope, so I can do it anywhere.

And no matter how to try to spin it, you have been sarcastic and critical. But don't feel bad, as you are not alone, as evidenced by the next poster who just can't seem to control herself.
sile, people are just giving you straight up advice.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Most people wouldn't even move across the US without first visiting the city they are considering living in.

So what you are planning is a big f****** deal worsened by the fact that you have not done the bare minimum that most people would do.

If you are going to take this kind of risk, then you just need to put on your big girl pants and get on with it. I don't know what more you think you can learn without just jumping in. You've been asking all these questions and still have no better image of life in the UK other than what you see on Masterpiece? That's because you've not been ever been to the UK. Surely you understand that your stress level is only amplified by your refusal to visit before you move.

Everyone here has sympathy for you having lost your family. I know I do. But unless a person is a risk-taker, moving up sticks to parts unknown is not the way to deal with loss. You don't seem like a risk taker to me.

I am not dealing with my SUBSTANTIAL loss by moving. And I do not need you to try to psychoanalyze me, thanks anyway. Moving overseas has been something I have wanted to do for years but did not because I had family whom I loved, wanted to be near, and who needed me. Now that they are gone, I can go.

And you can take that "put your big girl pants on" comment and put it somewhere where the sun doesn't shine.

You know nothing about me and risk-taking, by the way. I have done things that most people wouldn't have the ba**s or talent to do in my life, and I have accomplished things some people only DREAM of.
So, perhaps you should think twice about judging people here.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:01 pm
WhiteRabbit

Have you ever tried just this?

Pick one of the cities someone has told you would be a good place to live.

Go to rightmove.co.uk (or any realtor/estate agent) webpage. Find a house or a flat in your price range.

Pick up the address of that house/flat on google maps and then click on images. Move the little man below the North/South wheel and walk the little man all over the neighborhood.

That's what I do when I am looking for a hotel or flat in Europe.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:03 pm
WhiteRabbit

I am not dealing with my SUBSTANTIAL loss by moving. And I do not need you to try to psychoanalyze me, thanks anyway. Moving overseas has been something I have wanted to do for years but did not because I had family whom I loved, wanted to be near, and who needed me. Now that they are gone, I can go.

And you can take that "put your big girl pants on" comment and put it somewhere where the sun doesn't shine.

You know nothing about me and risk-taking, by the way. I have done things that most people wouldn't have the ba**s or talent to do in my life, and I have accomplished things some people only DREAM of.
So, perhaps you should think twice about judging people here.
I'm not judging you. I'm going by what you have written. I appear to not be the only one who senses your hesitation.

Maybe it's your writing style, I don't know.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I moved permanently to the UK in 1998 and it was a big deal! I was 45 years of age! I came from a British background and also understood and loved what being British was all about! I certainly never thought of tv programs to give me an idea of British life. I went on two holidays first, the first one doing a coach trip and staying with friends based in Manchester and took train rides daily to almost every corner of England, then train to Scotland (Edinburgh) and visited with more friends and family and travelled around there! No way would I up sticks without first visiting. The second time I just had fun. I then moved there. Priority was getting a job and I also needed somewhere to stay! I put the word out with friends and was offered a rental flat in someones large home in a lovely small town in the Home Counties, I made it my base first while I looked for work. I found a job and it was home based so I stayed there. Being a home based job, I certainly found it lonely as I missed that office banter and friendliness of going to the pub on a Fri night after work. I do not intent to be disrespectful, but you are going about it the wrong way!

Dont also be so keen to get rid of your personal stuff. When my container eventually arrived, I put out all my wordly goods and it made my place home. My dog was also shipped out after I settled but she had to do 6 months quarantine which luckily you do not have to do.

As others have said, leave your dog behind for a couple of weeks, and go for a holiday and do it in October/November, not in the middle summer!

I found it very lonely initially and I came from a British background, and had friends and family there.

Perhaps you should go onto some forums where you can chat to other Americans who have done what you are planning to do! If us Brits are not sure of where to stay or live, there is no way in hell you are going to just be able to up sticks and plonk yourself down in a village or town and expect to just carry on with business and life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.