Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

And so it begins...Electrical goods?

And so it begins...Electrical goods?

Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

cockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nicecockneysparra is just really nice
Default And so it begins...Electrical goods?

....Decision made - heading back to England - though it doesn't feel real yet. Maybe once we start the process and telling people it will!
So much to do, we also need to get our Citizenship as we have two Aussie kids!

A question a few of you may be able to help with is what of our Australian electrical purchases will still work in the UK? Namely:
- Pioneer plasma screen
- Acer LCD screen
- Apple Mac
- Router
- Wii console
- DIY tools
- LG Fridge/freezer
- Usual kitchen small appliances

Cheers!

Last edited by cockneysparra; Jan 21st 2011 at 7:31 pm. Reason: Forgot something!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:15 am
Just Joined

SmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really nice
Default Re: And so it begins...Electrical goods?

Everything should work just fine.
When we came out to Melbs, we brought practically everything, power tools, toaster, computer etc. Spent a small fortune on plugs, Hopefully I will be spending a pleasant afternoon one day putting the uk ones back on.
When we came out they told us the tv wouldn't work properly, old crt, but when we got here we met some people the had a uk one that worked fine, that cost us.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Yes all will work well, but don't know if all digital TV channels will be able to be picked up? Maybe you will have to buy a set top box??

I have the reverse problem, I bought my TV in the UK December 2009, got it to Oz by August 2010, you can tune in to different countries but there is no option for Australia. I came onto BE and somebody suggested tuning in to either France or Germany as that is sometimes a fix. It did work but I still don't get all channels.

It will be going back with me in February.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockneysparra
....Decision made - heading back to England - though it doesn't feel real yet. Maybe once we start the process and telling people it will!
So much to do, we also need to get our Citizenship as we have two Aussie kids!
In order to become an Australian citizen you normally need to intend to live in Australia or maintain a "close and continuing association" with Australia. Australian children might count towards the second interpretation but if you were unlucky with your case officer, your citizenship application may be refused if you declare you are about to leave.

Your children also need their own citizenship certificates, if they don't already have them.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

We brought back almost everything. The Fisher & Peykel fridge and freezer work fine, so do all the power tools. Mac book pro just needed a new cable out of the power lead. Can't say about the router as BT gave us some swanky one with a phone when we signed up. If you are using it to connect to the internet, I think you might need to get an adsl filter from PC world or somewhere which will connect to the wall and then to the line off your router as the conection are different

Good luck
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

SmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really nice

Originally Posted by mbike
We brought back almost everything. The Fisher & Peykel fridge and freezer work fine, so do all the power tools. Mac book pro just needed a new cable out of the power lead. Can't say about the router as BT gave us some swanky one with a phone when we signed up. If you are using it to connect to the internet, I think you might need to get an adsl filter from PC world or somewhere which will connect to the wall and then to the line off your router as the conection are different

Good luck
Yes, I remember now, I brought out adsl line filters from the uk to Oz and they didnt work, took a while to work out what the problem was.