Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:23 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Now folks I am totally out of my depth here, I thought Somerset was a long way to be far away from oop North, but old Londinium town!!!!

Is there ANYWHERE, I mean anywhere decent you could live and I mean afford to live not living hand to mouth on one single pay cheque? Or is this part of the world totally out of the question for a single average wage earner?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice
Default Re: Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

is this a serious question?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:03 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Now folks I am totally out of my depth here, I thought Somerset was a long way to be far away from oop North, but old Londinium town!!!!

Is there ANYWHERE, I mean anywhere decent you could live and I mean afford to live not living hand to mouth on one single pay cheque? Or is this part of the world totally out of the question for a single average wage earner?
We spent 1 day in Staines during our trip to the UK in June and I wouldn't live there as long as I have a hole in my arse!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:05 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655
is this a serious question?
Of course.

I have tentatively been offered a job there. At this stage very early on and I have no idea of the pay but just wondered if it was out of my depth?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think it's all going to depend on the salary they offer you.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:32 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Barb, I've addressed your question on the Over 50s Moving Back thread. As I mentioned, we're living in Laleham, 5 min. down the road from Staines.

Staines is just like many other towns. As I mentioned in the other thread, it's a great location. For us, it's quick, relatively easy access into London by car or tube.

The train runs to Waterloo, and Hatton Cross tube station is 15 min. away, or Osterly, our usual choice, about 20 min. away.

We can be at Heathrow in 15 min.

We can be in Windsor in 15 min., or at our favourite tearoom in Runnymede in 10.

Staines has a decent mall, and is only a short drive from 2 other nice malls, Woking and Kingston.

There are some very, very nice neighbourhoods along the Thames in Staines, such as the area on Wheatsheaf Lane just up the road from us. These little areas have their own post office, corner shop, laundry, etc.

It has its downside, but every place does. Overall, it's affordable and convenient.

And it's not Hounslow.

Edited to add: There's a similar, current thread about this area here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695950

Last edited by DDL; Dec 10th 2010 at 2:36 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think once you know the pay scale you can look at it better.
From the post code on rightmove Staines has some nice looking flats for rent for between £650 and £700 a month and they look like walking distance to the train station if you scroll down and look at the map.
I think all towns have good and bad parts it's just finding out which side you want to live in.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We spent 1 day in Staines during our trip to the UK in June and I wouldn't live there as long as I have a hole in my arse!
We stopped there once due to traffic hold ups

Sorry Beedubya, not very helpful I know but it seemed to live up to the Ali G stereotype.
Attached Thumbnails Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!-staines.bmp  
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:07 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think once you know the pay scale you can look at it better.
From the post code on rightmove Staines has some nice looking flats for rent for between £650 and £700 a month and they look like walking distance to the train station if you scroll down and look at the map.
I think all towns have good and bad parts it's just finding out which side you want to live in.
There is a reason they are so cheap! The railway station is quite a walk from town and not in a great area.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Lorry1
There is a reason they are so cheap! The railway station is quite a walk from town and not in a great area.
CHEAP??

£650 to £700 a month is NOT cheap on one wage, OK if you are a couple........
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:10 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
Barb, I've addressed your question on the Over 50s Moving Back thread. As I mentioned, we're living in Laleham, 5 min. down the road from Staines.

Staines is just like many other towns. As I mentioned in the other thread, it's a great location. For us, it's quick, relatively easy access into London by car or tube.

The train runs to Waterloo, and Hatton Cross tube station is 15 min. away, or Osterly, our usual choice, about 20 min. away.

We can be at Heathrow in 15 min.

We can be in Windsor in 15 min., or at our favourite tearoom in Runnymede in 10.

Staines has a decent mall, and is only a short drive from 2 other nice malls, Woking and Kingston.

There are some very, very nice neighbourhoods along the Thames in Staines, such as the area on Wheatsheaf Lane just up the road from us. These little areas have their own post office, corner shop, laundry, etc.

It has its downside, but every place does. Overall, it's affordable and convenient.

And it's not Hounslow.

Edited to add: There's a similar, current thread about this area here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695950
Denise you know I was thinking of looking into the over 55's sheltered housing schemes. I didn't REALLY want to be mingling with a bunch of pensioners just yet, what with me being such a spring chicken and all. But it's a thought........as you seem to be so near to where I will be going if I take this job, and I am almost sure I will, $$$$ being OK, do you have any ideas?

And on another note have you looked into being a Residential House Manager at one of these places? Thats what I did when I moved over there, the pay isn't the greatest but you have a husband with a job (2 pays) and you get rent free accomodation, all you need are admin skills which you have.....

https://www.ourcareers.co.uk/jobsearch

You could do far worse, and at least it would be a start, my sister reckons they are crying out for people to live in as most older people have their own home etc.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 10th 2010 at 8:17 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:30 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

30 minutes away (well before they build another runway that is ) is stockley Park / west drayton - in another direction is Slough / Ascot and Martin's heron - also on the line line to go to staines.
Windsor?

I lived and worked around that area and while I loved my jobs, and loved my home, I just shuddered at the thought of living there again and the traffic around heathrow (plus my ex is a black rat in that area)

Good luck
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by northernbird
And yet you live in Perth..........
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:36 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point and there are parts of Perth that are skanky too. Lots of lovely places in the UK but IMO Staines isn't one of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.