Shipping a car USA to UK

Old Aug 8th 2018, 7:03 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping a car USA to UK

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
Good info cheers mate - i will probably go with the '40 as soon as my visa arrives for my wife - i'll update on how it goes and cost etc
FYI The 40 foot container came out to $3550, not too bad, i'm going to go with this quote this weekend as it seems my passports are on the way. The company also provides a broker in the UK who will guide me through the paperwork needed.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Cuttsy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
FYI The 40 foot container came out to $3550, not too bad, i'm going to go with this quote this weekend as it seems my passports are on the way. The company also provides a broker in the UK who will guide me through the paperwork needed.
Can I ask who you used? I just looked at shipoverseas and it says they don’t do household goods or furniture?
Old Sep 6th 2018, 1:13 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cuttsy22
Can I ask who you used? I just looked at shipoverseas and it says they don’t do household goods or furniture?
i am using shipoverseas.com my contact is Jack ([email protected]) they built a quote for me which has my car with a ramp separating it from the other items to avoid damage from the boxes. On top of the 3550 USD i also payed an extra 500 insurance - my container is supposed to ship on the 13th September - they are very busy this time of year and the estimated arrival according to the information i have is October 13th
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:40 am
UK spouse visa

To update - my shipment has left and i am tracking it online which is quite fun. It is due October 13th - I have all the relevant documents for the car and a landing agent will clear it through customs (i applied successfully for VAT relief as it is part of a relocation back to UK).

My only question at the moment is regarding once the car is in port and i have it insured (got a reasonable quote from NFU mutual) how do i get it registered so i can drive it home??
Old Sep 20th 2018, 10:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Registration can take up to six weeks so you’ll probably need to put it on a flatbed to get it home unless you’re willing and able to leave it at the port until the V5C comes through and you get some UK registration plates made up.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 11:15 am
UK spouse visa

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Registration can take up to six weeks so you’ll probably need to put it on a flatbed to get it home unless you’re willing and able to leave it at the port until the V5C comes through and you get some UK registration plates made up.
Good to know - i'll take her home to the big plastic bubble i bought!
Old Oct 9th 2018, 1:46 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I imported 3 motorcycles from Canada earlier this year - 2 were exempt from the SVA process due to their age, one needs to take an SVA test. It took me 3 weeks to get MOT appointments - I rode them to their tests (insured but unregistered). Once issued with MOTs I applied for DVLA registration - that took around 4 weeks. Bear in mind that insurers will only insure a vehicle on their VIN for a maximum of 30 days, then the policy is cancelled. That meant having to start a fresh policy from scratch after the initial 30 day insurance period, which isn't very cost effective, but no way to avoid it.

The 3rd bike is still waiting for its SVA test. There was a 2.5 month wait for an appointment (for Oct 15th). I'll have a further c4 weeks to wait after passing that before it finally gets licence plates.

I applied for TOR to avoid paying import duties/tax, and as long as I own them for 12 months after landing back in the UK, there'll be no tax implications for them.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 9:15 am
UK spouse visa

Update - my container landed on Saturday - waiting for it all to clear customs then i'm giving in and paying them to take it all to my house - havn't seen the car yet hope it survived the journey!
Old Mar 1st 2019, 9:52 am
UK spouse visa

Update: Received the V5C today after going through the process of registering the car and getting it through MOT - anyone need help with that let me know its was a real pain!