To ship or dump...

Old Aug 27th 2019, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default To ship or dump...

What do you recon.

We're heading out for another adventure, this time to Alberta from Queensland.

We have a lot of crap, but damn is it hard to decide what not to ship. And selling these days just isn't worth the effort - everyone wants it for free or a dollar or two...

In your experience was it just easier to pack it all up, less those things that can't be used where ever you are going, and ship it. Or, get a big truck and take it all to the dump and start again where ever.

Now I get that this type of thinking is at the extreme end, but what have you found in your travels (pun intended).
Old Aug 27th 2019, 2:05 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Re: To ship or dump...

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus
What do you recon.

We're heading out for another adventure, this time to Alberta from Queensland.

We have a lot of crap, but damn is it hard to decide what not to ship. And selling these days just isn't worth the effort - everyone wants it for free or a dollar or two...

In your experience was it just easier to pack it all up, less those things that can't be used where ever you are going, and ship it. Or, get a big truck and take it all to the dump and start again where ever.

Now I get that this type of thinking is at the extreme end, but what have you found in your travels (pun intended).
I sold a lot of stuff, thinking i could squeeze into the smaller sized (20ft) shipping container - wish i didn't because i ended up getting the 40ft container and could have taken everything anyway - if i were you, just pack up everything and ship it you will be glad you did!
Old Aug 27th 2019, 3:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
I sold a lot of stuff, thinking i could squeeze into the smaller sized (20ft) shipping container - wish i didn't because i ended up getting the 40ft container and could have taken everything anyway - if i were you, just pack up everything and ship it you will be glad you did!
I disagree. We've made several long distance international moves over the 42 years since we first left the UK. For the first, we had no significant possessions and so no significant problem. All of the subsequent moves came with generous moving costs supplied by my new employers. Until of course the last move back to Europe on my retirement. We ditched the lot (not absolutely everything, books, artworks, significant documents etc kept).

My wife and I both found this to be an incredibly liberating thing to do. A lifetime of useless possessions shed in a couple of months. Highly recommended.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 4:51 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I disagree. We've made several long distance international moves over the 42 years since we first left the UK. For the first, we had no significant possessions and so no significant problem. All of the subsequent moves came with generous moving costs supplied by my new employers. Until of course the last move back to Europe on my retirement. We ditched the lot (not absolutely everything, books, artworks, significant documents etc kept).

My wife and I both found this to be an incredibly liberating thing to do. A lifetime of useless possessions shed in a couple of months. Highly recommended.
each to their own
Old Aug 27th 2019, 5:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes

each to their own
Indeed, but not each to their owned.