Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Severance Pay and moving back to the UK from US

Severance Pay and moving back to the UK from US

Old Sep 16th 2018, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

1jwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Severance Pay and moving back to the UK from US

Thinking through my options for possibly moving back to the UK from the US. If my company offered me a severance package which based on length of service would be close to a year of salary what are the tax implications of receiving that severance monthly after I have returned and become resident in the UK? I'm sure the company would still apply any US and State taxes and pay into my current US bank account but I would rather not keep staying in the US just to avoid additional taxes from the UK. Would the UK consider severance payments as income which would be taxable in the UK as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 25th 2018, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

1jwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Severance Pay and moving back to the UK from US

Not many responses to this question. Maybe if I craft the question slightly differently. Has anyone had any experience with being paid in the US and paying US federal and state taxes but being physically in the UK. I assume since I would be resident in the UK I would at some point have to pay the Inland Revenue taxes but then could claim these back from the US?

If I returned to the US at the end of the December 2018 would that make any difference to how the UK claims taxes. Would the UK only be interested in taxes for the remained of the UK tax yet Dec - April 2019 or for the whole tax year even if I was in the US ?

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th 2018, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severance Pay and moving back to the UK from US

Originally Posted by 1jwalker
Not many responses to this question. Maybe if I craft the question slightly differently. Has anyone had any experience with being paid in the US and paying US federal and state taxes but being physically in the UK. I assume since I would be resident in the UK I would at some point have to pay the Inland Revenue taxes but then could claim these back from the US?

If I returned to the US at the end of the December 2018 would that make any difference to how the UK claims taxes. Would the UK only be interested in taxes for the remained of the UK tax yet Dec - April 2019 or for the whole tax year even if I was in the US ?

Thanks!
Not a worker earning wages but a retiree living in the UK and receiving 2 US private pensions so I can say that as my domicile is in the UK that HMRC is the primary tax collector. Each year I have Federal income taxes withheld from my pensions plus I pay HMRC taxes on those pensions. Each year I file US taxes I claim foreign tax credits using forms 1116 for the taxes I have paid to HMRC.

I think the question you have is whether your severance pay is counted in the year you left the company as if it were a lump sum or if the payments you receive over your time in the UK is subject to HMRC taxes. That I have no idea about.