Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

self pack shipping container? Toronto to Bath

self pack shipping container? Toronto to Bath

Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

en1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really nice
Default self pack shipping container? Toronto to Bath

Hello all

(I'm a newbie here so be nice

I wonder if anyone here has any recent experience in packing their own shipping container in Canada and shipping it back to the UK? (In our case its a 20ft container from Toronto to/near Bath)

We'd prefer the self pack option, not just because of the price point but also because it becomes a good limiter/filter on what we can take back
(after nearly 6 years in Canada we have WAY more stuff than we came with... and one more child

The price we have received vary widely and it is hard to compare directly.
In particular as one quote is "DDU" I'm not quite sure what I might be in for in terms of clearing the port in Southampton!

Is it something one can do DIY in full or in part? If not, has anyone got a recommendation of a customs agent?

I've googled (and learned) a lot but what I really need is the "voice of experience"

thanks
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: self pack shipping container? Toronto to Bath

Bump - would be interested in this myself.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

en1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really niceen1gma is just really nice

so far even the shipping companies have not been able to explain much!
it seems like there is a vested interested in keeping it a "black art" to keep the margins high

one would have thought loading up a big box and unloading it someplace else would not be that complicated.. and in fact, apart from customs clearance it isn't really... there are just quite a few steps.

we will have a very detailed/clear inventory and everything well labelled which should help

whatever I learn I will post here though
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by en1gma
Hello all

(I'm a newbie here so be nice

I wonder if anyone here has any recent experience in packing their own shipping container in Canada and shipping it back to the UK? (In our case its a 20ft container from Toronto to/near Bath)

We'd prefer the self pack option, not just because of the price point but also because it becomes a good limiter/filter on what we can take back
(after nearly 6 years in Canada we have WAY more stuff than we came with... and one more child

The price we have received vary widely and it is hard to compare directly.
In particular as one quote is "DDU" I'm not quite sure what I might be in for in terms of clearing the port in Southampton!

Is it something one can do DIY in full or in part? If not, has anyone got a recommendation of a customs agent?

I've googled (and learned) a lot but what I really need is the "voice of experience"

thanks

We live near Toronto and got two quotes from shippers..to Ipswich UK for this summer...
MI group..being great..service door to door. recommended.
and Tippet Richardson...cheaper quote and not as much info..(as when MI group came by they answered everything and gave us booklet to read over)

Will mostly go 'door to door'. as I hear its such a headache with customs otherwise IF you pack yourself...and have to worry about port p/u and hireing a truck to deliver your goods.

We are getting rid of mostly everything...as the stuff isn't worth that much..and we want to start our new life NEW...but of course with that being said, toys, x3 children...and some momentos, antiques have to come.

good luck but get more quotes.
Never heard back from AMJ campbell? i called them twice???