Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Scotland: Nice Areas around Edinburgh

Scotland: Nice Areas around Edinburgh

Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Scotland: Nice Areas around Edinburgh

Planning on leaving South Africa for Scotland by end of the year, if houses are sold by then (positive thinking). Looking at relocating to Edinburgh, mainly due to the fact that it's a city and job opportunities would be more readily available for my husband, he's in the motor trade industry (sales). Wanting to live in a semi-rural location, maybe about (max.) 45min drive away, not sure what direction though, looking for the names of decent areas, because I don't have a clue where to start looking for homes to rent. Is there anyone that can offer some advise.
Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland: Nice Areas around Edinburgh

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
Planning on leaving South Africa for Scotland by end of the year, if houses are sold by then (positive thinking). Looking at relocating to Edinburgh, mainly due to the fact that it's a city and job opportunities would be more readily available for my husband, he's in the motor trade industry (sales). Wanting to live in a semi-rural location, maybe about (max.) 45min drive away, not sure what direction though, looking for the names of decent areas, because I don't have a clue where to start looking for homes to rent. Is there anyone that can offer some advise.
Thanks
45 mins from the edge of Edinburgh or the centre? It can take a while to drive to the edge from the centre due to the way the roads are and the congestion. 45 mins from the edge of Edinburgh covers most of central Scotland, the Borders, West, Mid and East Lothian and Fife.

I used to live in the centre, I now live in Linlithgow, which is a nice town in West Lothian. My parents-in-law live in Peebles, which is a lovely rural town.

There are ex-mining villages around Edinburgh and some really posh places, so lots of choice - you do have to be a bit careful where you pick. I would suggest a recce or short-term let when you first come so that you can look round and also see where you get employment as there is not much point living in Fife if you get a job in the east of the city.

There are firms that do short-term lets and lots of rental companies....if you give me more of an idea, I can narrow things down for you. You are welcome to PM me.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

45 mins from Edinburgh at what time of day though? Are you talking about a commute? If so, look any anywhere within the ring road. If not, lots of people live in Fife and the Borders, and love it. I really rate the website http://www.upmystreet.com/ which gives you a bit of an insight into areas.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Think I need new glasses - I thought the Thread title was "Nice Arses around Edinburgh". I was about to jump on the next train.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
45 mins from Edinburgh at what time of day though? Are you talking about a commute? If so, look any anywhere within the ring road. If not, lots of people live in Fife and the Borders, and love it. I really rate the website http://www.upmystreet.com/ which gives you a bit of an insight into areas.
Yes, I second that as I have looked at lots of places under the neighbours section and they are usually spot on.

Also, Google maps.....
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:04 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Eskbank is only about 25 mins from central Edinburgh and is GORGEOUS. There is a beautiful castle nearby ( Melville Castle ) which has been converted into a hotel,bar and restaurant. Just lovely!
Eskbank can be pricey for houses depending on what your looking for of course. Check out houses there on rightmove.co.uk

All the best and hope you find what makes you happy.

*pearly*
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:33 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I enjoyed living in Rosyth, in Fife - only a quick hop over the Forth Bridge to get to Edinburgh and the bigger town of Dunfermline not too far away.

Good luck with finding a place that's right for you.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

UK-Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

Balerno is lovely. And also for convenience Murieston in Livington - don't be put off by the Livi tag - it is a fab place to live. the Murieston trail is lovely.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by UK-Trinity
Balerno is lovely. And also for convenience Murieston in Livington - don't be put off by the Livi tag - it is a fab place to live. the Murieston trail is lovely.
Thanks for all the input everyone, I've got some names to work on now
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the input everyone, I've got some names to work on now
Hi I have a lovely house for sale in Rosewell just 5 minutes away from Edinburgh... We are moving to Oz this year Whats your price range etc etc...

Lyndsay
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brockies
Hi I have a lovely house for sale in Rosewell just 5 minutes away from Edinburgh... We are moving to Oz this year Whats your price range etc etc...

Lyndsay
Hi Brockies,
We are not going to buy straight away, just rent, until we feel we are in the area we'd like to settle, thanks anyway.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:22 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brockies,
We are not going to buy straight away, just rent, until we feel we are in the area we'd like to settle, thanks anyway.
yeah good idea I have just moved back home from Edinburgh and you will need to settle and see what suits.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Think I need new glasses - I thought the Thread title was "Nice Arses around Edinburgh". I was about to jump on the next train.
So if it was this heading, would you be staying in Scotland, then?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marmalade
So if it was this heading, would you be staying in Scotland, then?
OF COURSE!!! I'd fit right in
Old Apr 12th 2008, 5:16 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
I enjoyed living in Rosyth, in Fife - only a quick hop over the Forth Bridge to get to Edinburgh and the bigger town of Dunfermline not too far away.
Good luck with finding a place that's right for you.
Good point about Fife's proximity to the Athens of the North. I'm a Fifer and loved the convenience of the train or bus to get to Edinburgh. If you drive, the road bridge can be a nightmare to navigate given the traffic back-ups or even closure if high winds have blown a lorry over, as has been the case in the past.

There are plenty of semi-rural locations to scout north of the Forth. Check out ESPC.com for listings.
Look up Fife & Kinross, then West Fife & Kinross. I was raised in Dalgety Bay

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.