Wikiposts

Scared to admit it!!!

Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared to admit it!!!

Originally Posted by guest5234
My original post did not really put across what I was trying to say...
After the going away drink at you place of enployment and your party with friends and family a lot of people find it difficult to go home within 12 months as they will be seen as "not giving it a chance" by friends and family and will themselves feel a little guilty that they have these thoughts after only a few months.
Well, that is how I interpreted it!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

I think you are right and a lot of people who see us off at said leaving do's were probably thinking how mad are they giving all of this up etc etc but no-one and I mean no-one has the right to say how long is the appropiate length of time to give it.
As told on here many times some people know straight away it is not right for them and others like myself always have that niggly feeling but want to 'give it our best shot' and who knows how long that can take. Personaly I wish we had gone back within 6 mths of arriving, before all the money had been eaten away, we would be in a better position than we find ourselves in now that's for sure.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you....

It can be hard for others to relate to this but visiting somewhere and being in "vacation mode" is not the same as actually living somewhere.

I have come to the conclusion that there are some experiences one must live through personally to actually understand. Despite one's best efforts to explain the trials and tribulations of living in a new country others may not get it which can leave you feeling very misunderstood!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twigstar
I think you are right and a lot of people who see us off at said leaving do's were probably thinking how mad are they giving all of this up etc etc but no-one and I mean no-one has the right to say how long is the appropiate length of time to give it.
As told on here many times some people know straight away it is not right for them and others like myself always have that niggly feeling but want to 'give it our best shot' and who knows how long that can take.
Quite right, well said!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:08 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twigstar
My parents at every opportunity goad me with what are you going to do next. We see life as an adventure it has not been our choice to stay in the same house for 40 years. I have 3 brothers whose wives have never worked who all live in £500,000++ houses all settled with children gone to same schools etc etc. My OH and I have emigrated twice and have now decided to return to the UK in this summer. We shall have furniture to ship and about £25,000 in the bank and that is it. We are both the other side of 50, no jobs to go to, no house to go to. We have each other and 4 fantastic children. My parents think we have been mad to leave our children & 2 grandkids in the 1st place and I know it will be the talk of the town "there, there she tried but you know what she's like....never know what she is going to do next" We want to maybe move to a completely different part of the country as eldest son is in Wales, daughter is in Cyprus with her oh in the army & our youngest son is in the army based in Germany so family is nort the reason for our return, after 5 years here we just want to go home. Florida is a lovely place to take a holiday but living day in day out with these people does grind you down. We don't really see any friends, our social life is virtually zero thank god for all of you cyber buddies who lift my spirits..... Oh dear this is turning into a saga... I am upbeat, I am trying to think positively about this year being the one of the return, I don't think we have failed but I do believe others will assume that when we return......
Hi Twigstar
OH and I are nearly 60 and on the verge of returning (again) to the UK. My parents are in their late 80's, my daughter is 30 this month; I have two siblings, and I so want to go back and live near them all again. I want to be able to hug them when I want or phone them without looking at the clock to see what time it is for them. We've no house, no job......but we have family! It's taken this second time for me to realise what is truly important in (my) life - and that's the people I love. I have friends in England who have never moved off their street in 35 years! They've never travelled any further than Yorkshire on a day trip. Now that's what you call a narrow life. Give me mine and my head full of memories - good and bad - every time. You're like me - life is an adventure, and this is just another chapture in it.

Yes, it's taken a lot of money and time and effort to criss cross the Atlantic......who cares? I don't, and neither should anyone else! Those who stand around judgung other peoples actions obviously don't have enough to occupy themselves!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

My original post did not really put across what I was trying to say...
After the going away drink at you place of enployment and your party with friends and family a lot of people find it difficult to go home within 12 months as they will be seen as "not giving it a chance" by friends and family and will themselves feel a little guilty that they have these thoughts after only a few months, of course they have not failed...they have give it a go and if they had not tried it would always be thinking "if only" but it is family and friends who just dont understand what "working" in another country is like.
I understand what you mean but then you should think SOD YOU!

I am leaving New Zealand, not because I dislike the country but because I want to go back to the UK. Been here under 2 years and don't consider it a failure at all. It was exciting all the planning, the moving, settling into a new life, new culture but now I've had enough and am choosing to go back to the UK! It's my choice I could stay in NZ so that people don't see me as a failure or I can do as I want go back and let them snipe as much as they like.

I agree other people will see it as...well it didn't work out, or they failed to make a go of it but that is usually down to jealousy because you have done something they are too afraid to do. We got here, we got residency, we worked, we fitted in, we changed ourselves and now we are choosing to go back...purely personal choice.

Most important lesson learnt for us...couldn't give a to** what anyone else thinks...am looking forward to going back to the UK but already planning a holiday home in either Spain or Florida...and I suppose that is another lesson learnt...we like our lives in the UK but also still have that need of adventure...lost count of how many times I have heard 'you don't know what you want'

Well I do I want to make the most of my life, and if that means a bit of adventure, trying something new, enjoying property buying in the sun with the knowledge I have my little piece of the UK then so be it.

Don't let the critics stop you from living the way you want to live, do exactly what you want, the reality is they watch on with envy because they daren't try it themselves.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oldbag
Hi Twigstar
OH and I are nearly 60 and on the verge of returning (again) to the UK. My parents are in their late 80's, my daughter is 30 this month; I have two siblings, and I so want to go back and live near them all again. I want to be able to hug them when I want or phone them without looking at the clock to see what time it is for them. We've no house, no job......but we have family! It's taken this second time for me to realise what is truly important in (my) life - and that's the people I love. I have friends in England who have never moved off their street in 35 years! They've never travelled any further than Yorkshire on a day trip. Now that's what you call a narrow life. Give me mine and my head full of memories - good and bad - every time. You're like me - life is an adventure, and this is just another chapture in it.

Yes, it's taken a lot of money and time and effort to criss cross the Atlantic......who cares? I don't, and neither should anyone else! Those who stand around judgung other peoples actions obviously don't have enough to occupy themselves!
Ditto both of you and good on you!

That's how we see life, I have siblings with fab houses still in the same village they were born in. Whereas I have lived in Oz, Germany, NZ and the UK and hopefully have plenty more adventures to come...after all when your gone some other bugger will own the house anyway!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I would never think of leaving as a failure and if others do, well that's their problem. When we were young we lived in PNG, UK and then Aus. We have sort of become stuck here now and the fact that DH is an Aussie means that he doesnt want to leave but I want to go home. I have been here so long that everyone would think that I am "at home" here but I am not and have never been. Ever since I have been here I have had a sense of "on holiday" and you can have too much holiday and need to go "home" eventually. In some ways I wish we had made the decision to move away from here when we were at the change point in our lives after 4 years here (DH finishing a scholarship to study) but we didnt and I regret that immensely now. So, whatever you do, dont let yourself get stuck in something that you dont really want to be in!

You only have one life and you need to make the most of what comes your way - if you dont like what you try then you can try something new. Some of my family live within 5 miles of the village they were born in and have probably not been more than 20 miles away from the place in the last 40 years. Their kids have never been out of the county! If that's what suits them well that's up to them. Personally I dont regret coming here although i do regret being forced to stay.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:46 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

It’s the truth IMO that people feel like they are failures when they decide a “new life” is not for them, they may not say it directly to you but friends and family DO look at you as some kind of failure for not making a go of it, they come on holiday and have 2 weeks of sand booze and new sights which give them the false impression that this is what life is like all the time, they don’t realise that the sun doesn’t always shine and that working 6 x 10 hour days a week leaves you shattered and the last thing on your mind is the beach on your day off.
I really think SOME people are still in a Country that they are not in love with is because they are scared to admit that they failed in their new lives to themselves and family and friends.
Out of interest, have you tried a new life in the 5 countries listed in your signature?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:51 am
Just Joined

yellowbrickroad is on a distinguished road

the word failure is open to interpretation.

what it means to one person is different to another.

I personally dont judge myself or others based upon this assumption because we all view the word failure differently.

If you view having moved to Aus and you dont like it as a failure, then thats your opinion and your entitled to it. I dont see it like that, rather.... its an adventure..... each to their own.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote, quoll. although i do regret being forced to stay.

I would rethink this quoll. You never have to do anything you do not want to. If your desire is strong enough to return, then you will return.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
Quote, quoll. although i do regret being forced to stay.

I would rethink this quoll. You never have to do anything you do not want to. If your desire is strong enough to return, then you will return.
Much as I would like to think that - contemplating the alternative of departing without my DH of 35 years would be very traumatic no matter what would lead to it. He isnt going to move and if I forced him to, he would be in the situation I am in now so one of us loses. As it is, he is to some extent compromising because he wants to go out and be self sufficient in some god forsaken bush location. On balance, Canberra has to be better than a composting loo out in the fly ridden middle of nowhere with no running water and no mains electricity! (See, I am counting my blessings!!) Going home every year is also in our compromise (and if he has to keep working to keep me in the manner to which I have become accustomed even though semi retired then he has agreed to do that!)
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:17 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by KLF
Out of interest, have you tried a new life in the 5 countries listed in your signature?
No, I have worked in all countries for siemens and moved to S.Africa and Oz as they are massive in both Countries to try and make them my home.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:21 pm
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

No, I have worked in all countries for siemens and moved to S.Africa and Oz as they are massive in both Countries to try and make them my home.
And where are you now?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:27 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

My mum's reaction when I told her I was moving here to be with my (now) husband was that I was crazy, and she was convinced it was just a phase. Naturally, she was worried. Over the years, though, she saw that I was serious, and also happy, so she never said a word.

When I told her that I'm now unhappy with a lot of things here, she's not once said "I told you so" because she's been here in person to see for herself that I gave it my all, but now under certain circumstances, it's just not suitable for me anymore. My family is massive, and I know when I do go back, I'll have at least one person calling me mental that I'd want to go back to the UK, but I don't care. It's where my real home is, and life isn't all rainbows and roses just because the sun shines 90% of the year. I think when they really look at how much I've aged because of the stress I've been under over the last year or so, they'll be like, "F**k that, I wouldn't wanna live in the US!" I know bad situations can happen no matter where you are, but if you don't have the support available that you've been used to, it can really knock the wind out of you. I can talk on the phone all I want, but it's not the same. I've felt very isolated here, and my mum can see that by how often I've been calling her lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.