Salombe in Devon

Old Aug 12th 2012, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Salombe in Devon

What living experiences of coastal devon living?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:45 am
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice
Default Re: Salombe in Devon

As someone born in London and spent half my time in the UK living on the coast in Devon (as in, I can see the ocean from the house kinda coastal - I would walk to the next street down a lane between the cliffs to the beach), I can tell you that it is stunning.. really beautiful! However, the economy is very seasonal. Jobs do not pay well and the cost of living is one of the highest outside of London - as it is with many tourist reliant areas - so if you have to work, it can be hard. It is great for retirees though.

The weather in the Winter can be worse than other parts of the UK, imagine 100mph winds on the coast blowing down your fence, blowing off roof tiles. It really is hard in the winter. I know the UK weather can be miserable, but exposed coastal locations can be rough. Devon is spread out - for the UK of course - so you do have to have a car, bus services are seasonal and as such not very reliable.

Hope this helps! :-)
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salombe in Devon

Originally Posted by BritinFLUSA
As someone born in London and spent half my time in the UK living on the coast in Devon (as in, I can see the ocean from the house kinda coastal - I would walk to the next street down a lane between the cliffs to the beach), I can tell you that it is stunning.. really beautiful! However, the economy is very seasonal. Jobs do not pay well and the cost of living is one of the highest outside of London - as it is with many tourist reliant areas - so if you have to work, it can be hard. It is great for retirees though.

The weather in the Winter can be worse than other parts of the UK, imagine 100mph winds on the coast blowing down your fence, blowing off roof tiles. It really is hard in the winter. I know the UK weather can be miserable, but exposed coastal locations can be rough. Devon is spread out - for the UK of course - so you do have to have a car, bus services are seasonal and as such not very reliable.

Hope this helps! :-)
Yes thank you

I will have an office in London if I wish to immerse myself in social interactions. But solitude in sea views and winter storms is very appealing.

Have to consider the schools for young daughters
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice
Smile Re: Salombe in Devon

Great - then it should work nicely for you if income relying on the local economy isn't a worry. My only advice is Salcombe is a little off the beaten path and can be a pain to get to, the road network has limit alternative routes. Making it a little bit of a pain for motorway access if commuting to London.

As for Schools, Devon has decent schools - I am an ex Grammarian and it seems to be a county where there are some of the last few Grammar Schools outside of London and the Southeast that are still operating! Plenty of good private schools too. However, if you opt for schools further away then travel time does come into play, it was not uncommon when I was finishing up my secondary education to have friends that travelled an hour or more each way from home and school by various methods - combination of car, ferry, bus, train etc just to get to school. Regardless of child age, the school run can be a pain because of how spread out the county is and how lacking the road network is in that area. That said, if you are sending them to the local school nearby, it might not be so bad! Just trying to cover all bases for you! :-)

Last edited by BritinFLUSA; Aug 13th 2012 at 11:27 am. Reason: typo