Roast tatties

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roast tatties

I managed to completely ruin a bunch of canadians and native californians over in LA... full sunday lunch about once a month for nigh on 2 years... introduced them to

Roast Beef in lard
Roast Pork + crackling in lard
Roast Potatoes IN dripping & lard
Roast Sweet Potatoes IN dripping & lard cooked IN with the meat.
Yorshire Puddings using lard
Cheese Sauce from scratch (real cheddar)
REAL gravy (from dripping & veggie broth)
Boiled Potatoes with Mint sauce (fresh picked)

this is people who normally eat sparingly of such things as salad & healthy alternatives... coming to our place once a month to completely gorge themselves on what can only be called the most delicious death sentence ever served; english food.

we've moved away now and they crave it still, mentioning it every time we talk.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 1:43 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
well it was good maple syrup, the family make their own....it takes like arse using that cheapo stuff they call maple syrup in the grocery stores
I buy mine from the co-op - guaranteed to be great - expensive as hell but we don't use it much.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Colored, glorified sugar water in the store.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Oh dear. What have we become? A bunch of ex-pats sitting in on a saturday night, talking about the pros and cons of roast tatties on t'internet. Okay, I started this thread but I have just realised how much piss taking would go on if I ever told my mates back home what I do on a saturday night. I am sure they all imagine me lobbing dice about in Vegas, sticking 10 dollar bills down strippers knickers or dancing the night away in some club in Chicago. Not sitting here talking shite and playing old Madness songs on youtube

They would never understand lol. That said - wouldn't have it any other way right now. Long love BE (even the tossers)
Pathetic isn't it? I want to go back to Europe so I can start LIVING again...

Originally Posted by Rete
I can get them here at our local Polish butcher. They carry a large selection of German as well as Polish foods.

My aunt, when she visited from Germany, would take leftover mashed potatoes and mix it with chopped onion, egg, parsley and flour and fry it up crusty. Was so good.
I worked for a German company with bunches of native Germans and they used to cook their potatoes with loads of butter and onion even if they were only boiling them! Us Portuguese folk do that with a salted cod and potato casserole which we love. Fry up the leftovers in that way the next day.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You'll forget all about us when you get back to Blighty.
Sorry to tell everyone but I will too (Watch a bunch of y'all rejoice over that announcement

Originally Posted by USBound
I managed to completely ruin a bunch of canadians and native californians over in LA... full sunday lunch about once a month for nigh on 2 years... introduced them to

Roast Beef in lard
Roast Pork + crackling in lard
Roast Potatoes IN dripping & lard
Roast Sweet Potatoes IN dripping & lard cooked IN with the meat.
Yorshire Puddings using lard
Cheese Sauce from scratch (real cheddar)
REAL gravy (from dripping & veggie broth)
Boiled Potatoes with Mint sauce (fresh picked)

this is people who normally eat sparingly of such things as salad & healthy alternatives... coming to our place once a month to completely gorge themselves on what can only be called the most delicious death sentence ever served; english food.

we've moved away now and they crave it still, mentioning it every time we talk.
Portuguese food is the best in the world mate.....although Brit food is truly delicious when cooked right and has had a bad rap for many a year.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 12:55 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Parsnip recipe someone? We didn't really eat them in Africa.
Same way as for the spuds. Par boil them then stick them in with the roast.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:28 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Me old fella is a paddy so could be.
Ah it all makes sense know
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I buy mine from the co-op - guaranteed to be great - expensive as hell but we don't use it much.
Good place to get it...there shouldn't be anything listed in the ingredients but the syrup...
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:09 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thydney
Ah it all makes sense know
Thyds, your avatar is giving me the creeps mate.....

Originally Posted by Titchski
Same way as for the spuds. Par boil them then stick them in with the roast.
Thanks nephew
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Portuguese food is the best in the world mate.....although Brit food is truly delicious when cooked right and has had a bad rap for many a year.
Have to agree though I would go further and say Brazilian (Portuguesish) food is fantastic.. chucascarria (Brazilian BBQ) is just amazing.. served with every side you can imagine. I never miss the opportunity for a biz trip to Brazil just so I can pig out on their amazing cuisine.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:08 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britinsac
Have to agree though I would go further and say Brazilian (Portuguesish) food is fantastic.. chucascarria (Brazilian BBQ) is just amazing.. served with every side you can imagine. I never miss the opportunity for a biz trip to Brazil just so I can pig out on their amazing cuisine.

Bleedin show off!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:27 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

But they dont have Roast Taters!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jpb0...eature=related
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:51 am

Oy Brazilian is not Portuguese, gawd forbid.....lol...

You do not enjoy going to Brazil because of the food, admit it mate, been there and seen those hot chicks with my own eyes. The eye candy on the male side is OUT OF THIS FREAKING WORLD too....

Where do you usually go? I was all over the northeast and the Amazon and found the food appalling - so much so, that I landed up eating nothing but biscuits I got at a supermarket during the day and grilled fish for dinner.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Oy Brazilian is not Portuguese, gawd forbid.....lol...

You do not enjoy going to Brazil because of the food, admit it mate, been there and seen those hot chicks with my own eyes. The eye candy on the male side is OUT OF THIS FREAKING WORLD too....

Where do you usually go? I was all over the northeast and the Amazon and found the food appalling - so much so, that I landed up eating nothing but biscuits I got at a supermarket during the day and grilled fish for dinner.
I often go to Porto Alegre.. Belo Horizonte, Sao Paulo, Londrina.. yeah I know it's not Portuguese.. yes the women are stunning.. although I have seen examples of 80 year olds on the beach with everything gone south except for two firm oranges sitting proudly in place.
The food in the southern states is amazing.. cannot vouch for up north, I guess the further up you go the poorer it gets..
Old Dec 7th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bleedin show off!
Nah.. now if it was a business trip to Fiji or Bora Bora.. that would be showing off...
Can I send you a postcard from Sydney next month?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Whats all this roasting potatoes in a pot thing that you plug in and leave on the counter with the meat in business? They call them 'roast potatoes" here and they taste ****ing awful. Luckily I have educated Mrs. R into the art of real, proper, pukke, bona fide roast potato preperation and production.

My roast spuds are crispy golden on the outside and hot fluffy (like cotton wool) on the inside.

You've never had better.
So how do you do them Rushman?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:44 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

parboil the bloody things ....toss them to roughen and allow to cool ...In a large tin sprinkle a light mixture of flour and salt ...toss in the cool spuds ....shake ..till the spuds are covered ...stick them in the oven next to the sizzling roast .....baste every 30 minutes ....its not rocket science ....sheesh 6 pages

Btw ....most Americans hate them ...they taste too much like real food

Last edited by Circus-of-Power; Dec 8th 2007 at 9:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.