Reload this Page >

Returning to UK on your own...

Returning to UK on your own...

Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Leventissa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to UK on your own...

Hello

I am planning to return to the UK after seven years abroad, primarily for career reasons.

I am pleased to have made the decision to go back but for various reasons I am feeling daunted - largely just the fact of having to do it by myself. My family don't live in the UK so I won't be returning to them and at present I am still considering areas to move to. As I am self-emplyed I will be be looking into making my own luck once I get back. Basically I am a free agent, which has pros and cons!

I would like to hear from people who have gone back without having any strong networks/ support in place - really just to hear how they coped. I'm looking for a bit of courage!

Thanks, Leventissa
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:47 am
Just Joined

amir79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to UK on your own...

Originally Posted by Leventissa
Hello

I am planning to return to the UK after seven years abroad, primarily for career reasons.

I am pleased to have made the decision to go back but for various reasons I am feeling daunted - largely just the fact of having to do it by myself. My family don't live in the UK so I won't be returning to them and at present I am still considering areas to move to. As I am self-emplyed I will be be looking into making my own luck once I get back. Basically I am a free agent, which has pros and cons!

I would like to hear from people who have gone back without having any strong networks/ support in place - really just to hear how they coped. I'm looking for a bit of courage!

Thanks, Leventissa
hi, this is my 1st post on here, and i am also in a similar situation, im leaving for london next week... and im still looking for a place to rent, i have a hotel to stay in for the first few days and ill go somewhere cheaper if need be for longer... but i have never lived or worked in the UK i have lived in the USA most of my life... good luck with ur move, when are u planning on going back?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going back on my own too. I do have extended family there but I'm not counting on much, if any help.

I can't pretend to be any kind of expert I'm afraid, but I would say if you're looking for courage, the best place (and probably the only place) you'll find it is within yourself.

If you can somehow make up your mind 100% that you are going to do this and you will succeed no matter what and you won't let anyone put you off, then you're probably more than half way there!

That's what I did last time I moved back to UK and it worked very well for me. I so far haven't managed to quite get that level of certainty this time but I am trying very hard to do so.

Good luck.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by backagen
I'm going back on my own too. I do have extended family there but I'm not counting on much, if any help.

I can't pretend to be any kind of expert I'm afraid, but I would say if you're looking for courage, the best place (and probably the only place) you'll find it is within yourself.

If you can somehow make up your mind 100% that you are going to do this and you will succeed no matter what and you won't let anyone put you off, then you're probably more than half way there!

That's what I did last time I moved back to UK and it worked very well for me. I so far haven't managed to quite get that level of certainty this time but I am trying very hard to do so.

Good luck.
Good luck, as with most things in life, your mentality of the situation makes all the difference. my mentality is up to par i think/hope lol but its just irritating because im sure i can find a place no problem once i set foot in the UK. but the 1st week is going to be the most difficult and interesting above all i think, its an adventure that i know im ready for, but several small little details are disrupting the harmony lol i moved out of the UK when i was 1 and i have become completely americanized sorta, im not familiar with any local politics in the uk nor my rights as a british citizen which is kinda sad and partly due to me being busy and lazy lol

how many times have u moved in and out of the uk? where did u go?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I went UK - Adelaide (Australia) - UK - Adelaide.

Now I'm thinking of moving back to UK again but I honestly cannot make up my mind which is incredibly frustrating and stressful.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Leventissa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by backagen
I went UK - Adelaide (Australia) - UK - Adelaide.

Now I'm thinking of moving back to UK again but I honestly cannot make up my mind which is incredibly frustrating and stressful.
Hello Amir and Backagen

Thanks for your feedback, it is really appreciated.

Backagen, you are absolutely right about trusting your own decision and going with it. At the end of the day it is always wise to go with what you deeply feel. We can't plan or control everything in our lives but if you have faith you can never really go wrong. I was interested to hear you have been back and forth to Australia a few times and that you are considering a return to the UK. They must have been pretty hefty moves.

Amir, you may well be in The Smoke (London) now. I really wish you the best in finding your feet there. It is a great city with lots going for it and no doubt you will have an interesting perspective on it being from America. Enjoy your experiences there. I hope you get the chance to travel around the UK a bit, and to Europe too (loads of cheap flights!).

I am planning to move before Spring of next year. I am actually starting to really look forward to being back. Nowhere is Utopia but you have to weigh up pros and cons, and if the pros outweigh the cons go for it.

Keep in touch both!
Leventissa
Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Leventissa
Hello Amir and Backagen

Thanks for your feedback, it is really appreciated.

Backagen, you are absolutely right about trusting your own decision and going with it. At the end of the day it is always wise to go with what you deeply feel. We can't plan or control everything in our lives but if you have faith you can never really go wrong. I was interested to hear you have been back and forth to Australia a few times and that you are considering a return to the UK. They must have been pretty hefty moves.

Amir, you may well be in The Smoke (London) now. I really wish you the best in finding your feet there. It is a great city with lots going for it and no doubt you will have an interesting perspective on it being from America. Enjoy your experiences there. I hope you get the chance to travel around the UK a bit, and to Europe too (loads of cheap flights!).

I am planning to move before Spring of next year. I am actually starting to really look forward to being back. Nowhere is Utopia but you have to weigh up pros and cons, and if the pros outweigh the cons go for it.

Keep in touch both!
Leventissa
Leventissa, Thank you for the good luck, I am actually leaving this friday, in two days or so roughly october 3 i leave the USA. I just finished moving out of my apartment and am now staying with my father till i leave on friday.... IF i dont talk to you before i leave i wish u good luck on your trip next spring/year! for me the good definetly out weighs the bad for going to the UK, i am leaving the US before i get my green card and am barred for re-entry for 10 years once i leave... but this is ok with me not seeing my family is the hardest thing i think... but i will be back on here again before i leave for the UK.