Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK for university

Returning to the UK for university

Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK for university

Originally Posted by HerbieDog
Thanks for the replies, even if you can't help, its just nice to get some feelings off my chest. I would say that I'm quite an academic student (11A*, 1A in my GCSE's), so I'll try and email the unis. and see if that makes a difference. Other than that i'm going to email the Brit Council and the unis to see if there are any scholarships or some financial support to reduce the huge costs.

As for the army, I think thats a no-no for me. My mum had a friend who's son trained as a dentist and ended up in Iraq. He left before the 5 years were up and had to pay the army back.
If you're a New Zealand PR, why don't you go to a good New Zealand university? (eg Auckland or Otago). In a few years time you'll then have your New Zealand citizenship + a good degree and then make up your mind where you would like to live more permanently.

Once you're a New Zealander, Australia is also open to you (although you do need to plan to stay living in NZ at the point you become a citizen). Or you could return to the UK at that point.

One work-around in the UK is that the 3 year residence rule does not seem to apply to distance learning, such as an Open University or University of London (External) degree. Try to verify this, but at your age that might not really suit you.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Girl
Hi,
I will be returning to the UK after 16 months in NZ and doing my PGCE. I spoke to the University and they said despite my having PR, because I have only lived out of the country for a short period then I should be ok. I suggest you ring the University you intend to apply to and find out their policy on the matter as there may be a way around it. I think if it's under 3 years you should be ok though.

Good Luck.
The thing is, it's not the uni you need to worry about, but the LEA which you apply for your sponsorship...if you haven't been resident, they won't pay up, which means you have to pay the full cost, rather than just the first £1K a year.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
was under the impression that you needed to return within the 3 yr limit not be resident for the three yrs in which case you could return live uk for a gap year then start uni but you will need to check that I haven't yet ,my son is in the same boat and I need to start digging .If I find anything I'll let you know .
it's residency...the LEA that stumps the fee's wants to know you've paid your local taxes
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
another great scam of rip-off britain. incidentally, they are reporting that tuition fees in the uk will hit 10,000 sterling for home students in the relatively near future. meanwhile, you could learn german and study at a top german university for 500 euro a year, or study free in scandanavia. but in england, they will rip you off royally for 3 years after you return to the country. its disgraceful.
That's still a bargain to be fair....you'd pay more than that a year in the US and a degree takes 4 years.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
but this person is a british citizen that is required to wait 3 years before she can receive home rates, even though they are british - thats the rip off part. instead of waiting those 3 years, he/she could save themselves time and money by studying elsewhere in europe, where tuition fees are lower than england. to name a few countries - france, netherlands, germany, sweden, denmark, norway - all charge much lower fees than uk and do not have a 3 years waiting stipulation.
If your resident in the EU, you won't have to pay to study in the UK...if you ain't resident of one of the countries that you listed, you'd have to pay much higher fee's, it might not be 3 years...but UK is fair, because it's based on residency rather than citizenship, so someone that moves to the UK, their children won't be punished for not being from the UK.

At the end of the day, it's all about taxes...the Germans and Scandinavians pay less for uni, but they pay a hell of a lot more council taxes, income taxes and medical expenses...and why should the whole country pay for something that the whole country might not use? Not everyone wants to go to uni...but everyone will need a doctor at some point in their life.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by JAJ
I

One work-around in the UK is that the 3 year residence rule does not seem to apply to distance learning, such as an Open University or University of London (External) degree. Try to verify this, but at your age that might not really suit you.
You've got to be resident to apply...once your on the course, you can study abroad, but it wouldn't help if your not a resident.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:24 pm
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Universities in Quebec charge less to Canadians living in Quebec than they do to Canadians from out of province.
and french people studying in canada get the same rates as quebecois canadians apparently. this is why i decided defer going to montreal. its about $10k CDN per semester just for tuition, not including any living expenses. i would have to be there for 5 years to complete an engineering degree. thats a long time and a lot of money, to study at a university that isnt even that well recognized in canada.

Originally Posted by Bob
That's still a bargain to be fair....you'd pay more than that a year in the US and a degree takes 4 years.
thats true. north carolina state university expected me to pay $20 USD per year excluding expenses, they also wanted me to repay my application fee just because i could not get immigration documents in time for the january semester so i told them to stick it.

Last edited by moving2montreal; Jan 19th 2007 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:09 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HerbieDog
This is my first post on these forums, and I’m hoping that someone will be able to offer me some advice about returning back to the UK for university.

My family and myself moved out to NZ in October 2005, and so far things have been a bit up and down. I’m just about to turn 18 and start my final year at school, and have begun to think about my future educational plans. Up until the age of 16 I had been in the UK, and was a citizen, as well as both of my parents. We now have permanent residence in NZ.

My initial plan was to return back to the UK for university, working for a few months before starting my degree in September/October 2008. After some general browsing on the Internet I have encountered a number of problems, which upon looking at some posts on this forum seem to have been experienced by others in my position. The main problem so far is that it appears I will be classed as an international student, and thus have to pay in excess of quadruple the home fees.

As of yet the rest of my family are undecided on whether they will also return back to the UK. If they do choose to return to the UK I will be left in the position of either staying on my own in NZ for 3-4 years, or seemingly paying the exorbitant international student fees.

I have contacted the educational department of my local British council who confirmed that to usually be considered for home fees you have to of been resident in the UK for 3 years previous to the start of your course. However they said that an exception would be made if we were only temporarily out of the country (a grey area according to him). Of course the definition of temporary is to be decided upon the university, where they will look at the length of time out of the country, whether a home has been maintained in the UK, and the nature of my parents jobs. Unfortunately we no longer have a home in the UK, although our relatives still live there, my mother has a permanent job, whilst my dad’s is temporary but likely to be extended. There also lies the problem that the universities won’t decide on my fee status until after I apply through UCAS after September 2007. So until then there is no way of knowing whether I will be classed as a home student by none, some or all of the 6 universities I apply to.

Has anyone else experienced these kind of problems, and how did you proceed. My grandparents from the UK our currently staying with us, so when they return I hope they will be able to sort something out. My grandmother works for the CAB so she’s going to see if there is a way around it, but I’m not too hopeful. If not looks like I’ll be pinning my hopes on an extremely unlikely scholarship.

Thanks in advance

James

James

If I were you I think I would put my address as one of your relatives. Could that work?

Good luck
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
The grey area isn't that grey...to be temporary, it had to have been a move aboard because of work or military posting for example, not because you looked for permanent residence aboard.

A way around it, get a military bursary...the army gives a good one, navy and airforce don't tend to do them....but if you do, you'll have to commit around 5 years of military service or whatever it was...but you do get your college fee's, housing and salary.....but with Iraq...
Alternatively you could swim the Tasman sea and go to the University of Waggawookawallabung. It sounds like a more appealing option.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you're a New Zealand PR, why don't you go to a good New Zealand university? (eg Auckland or Otago). In a few years time you'll then have your New Zealand citizenship + a good degree and then make up your mind where you would like to live more permanently.

Once you're a New Zealander, Australia is also open to you (although you do need to plan to stay living in NZ at the point you become a citizen). Or you could return to the UK at that point.

Some sensible ideas there. Just depends what career he wants to follow, and where he might want to end up using it. But at 18, it's a kong way from the UK if his family do return - would need remarkable strength of character (which I'm sure he has!).
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
James

If I were you I think I would put my address as one of your relatives. Could that work?

Good luck
If you're using foreign school qualifications to gain admission, isn't it obvious you haven't been in the UK for the previous 3yrs?

I had to pay international fees for my first year as a result of being abroad for a quasi-gap year, but that was a long time ago, not sure if I'd be charged for that today.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
OU definitely requires you have to have been resident for 3 years by the time the course starts. I queried and had to wait the three years. However, their international fees are quite reasonable in comparison to full-time university. But like you say, that may not suit.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
If you're using foreign school qualifications to gain admission, isn't it obvious you haven't been in the UK for the previous 3yrs?

I had to pay international fees for my first year as a result of being abroad for a quasi-gap year, but that was a long time ago, not sure if I'd be charged for that today.
True - I was thinking he had his A levels.

What a shocking state of affairs - his probably parents paid tax here for all those years, to be denied the same educational opportunities as others who may have paid far less or none.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:00 pm
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

i think your only options are waiting, or applying to elsewhere in the EU which means learning another language unless you speak one already.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Very good advice, JAJ.

There are so, so many people on these boards who moved and then thought "What did I do?". I don't know the exact immigration situaton for NZ and Oz, but if studying in the UK would sever your opportunities in NZ/Oz, I'd say get your PR/citizenship, whatever, and leave your options open. Don't take this the wrong way, but at your age I didn't know what I wanted for dinner, never mind what I wanted from life (though at the time, of course, I thought I knew). Don't discount the possibility that in 2 years, or 4 years, you'd decide you really wanted to return to NZ. You can always go home, but you can't always go back to NZ so easily without PR/citizenship.

As for the fees thing, I tend to agree that children of UK citizens should pay UK fees even if they have lived overseas - they didn't choose to go overseas, after all, their parents did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.