Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK for university

Returning to the UK for university

Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

HerbieDog will become famous soon enough
Default Returning to the UK for university

This is my first post on these forums, and I’m hoping that someone will be able to offer me some advice about returning back to the UK for university.

My family and myself moved out to NZ in October 2005, and so far things have been a bit up and down. I’m just about to turn 18 and start my final year at school, and have begun to think about my future educational plans. Up until the age of 16 I had been in the UK, and was a citizen, as well as both of my parents. We now have permanent residence in NZ.

My initial plan was to return back to the UK for university, working for a few months before starting my degree in September/October 2008. After some general browsing on the Internet I have encountered a number of problems, which upon looking at some posts on this forum seem to have been experienced by others in my position. The main problem so far is that it appears I will be classed as an international student, and thus have to pay in excess of quadruple the home fees.

As of yet the rest of my family are undecided on whether they will also return back to the UK. If they do choose to return to the UK I will be left in the position of either staying on my own in NZ for 3-4 years, or seemingly paying the exorbitant international student fees.

I have contacted the educational department of my local British council who confirmed that to usually be considered for home fees you have to of been resident in the UK for 3 years previous to the start of your course. However they said that an exception would be made if we were only temporarily out of the country (a grey area according to him). Of course the definition of temporary is to be decided upon the university, where they will look at the length of time out of the country, whether a home has been maintained in the UK, and the nature of my parents jobs. Unfortunately we no longer have a home in the UK, although our relatives still live there, my mother has a permanent job, whilst my dad’s is temporary but likely to be extended. There also lies the problem that the universities won’t decide on my fee status until after I apply through UCAS after September 2007. So until then there is no way of knowing whether I will be classed as a home student by none, some or all of the 6 universities I apply to.

Has anyone else experienced these kind of problems, and how did you proceed. My grandparents from the UK our currently staying with us, so when they return I hope they will be able to sort something out. My grandmother works for the CAB so she’s going to see if there is a way around it, but I’m not too hopeful. If not looks like I’ll be pinning my hopes on an extremely unlikely scholarship.

Thanks in advance

James
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Returning to the UK for university

Hi James,

It is a sorry situation, and one that I looked into myself as I was hoping to start a PhD within 2 years. Unfortunately we would be classed as international students and there does not seem to be any way around it. I will therefore wait until 3 years after getting back to UK to start applying, but I guess that you do not have that luxury.

I suspect that it may depend also on your academic abilities and your chosen course: for example, if you are an outstanding student they may decide in favour, or if you were applying to undersubscribed courses. I also don't think that it would do any harm to contact the course administrator at the universities you are interested in and see if you can get an opinion beforehand.

Sorry I can't offer any solutions!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:22 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is facing the identical situation and there really is no way around it. I am returning her to the UK as she graduates Grade 12 here in June. She has to go back a year however in the UK to do for AS/A2 levels so that she at least has the chance to go to University. Her Grade 12 diploma is worthless outside BC. I have to pay for Year 1 of her degree back home, but it still next to nothing compared to what I would have to pay here.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:34 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Can't offer much help here, but this question has cropped up a few times on BE and I find the whole situation to be a complete farce.

One word of advice - when dealing with any uni's in the UK be very careful about what info you divulge - no point in 'incriminating' yourself.

Just out of interest what is it you plan to study ??
In the opinion of some these days university is something of a waste of time, especially considering the debt students will saddle themselves with as a result.
I don't think any potential employer would be put of if you showed a genuine interest in your preferred career and were able to explain why you 'decided' to go straight into the workplace - you could then resume your studies a few years later and get your employer to pay for it.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HerbieDog

I have contacted the educational department of my local British council who confirmed that to usually be considered for home fees you have to of been resident in the UK for 3 years previous to the start of your course. However they said that an exception would be made if we were only temporarily out of the country (a grey area according to him).
The grey area isn't that grey...to be temporary, it had to have been a move aboard because of work or military posting for example, not because you looked for permanent residence aboard.

A way around it, get a military bursary...the army gives a good one, navy and airforce don't tend to do them....but if you do, you'll have to commit around 5 years of military service or whatever it was...but you do get your college fee's, housing and salary.....but with Iraq...

Last edited by Bob; Jan 19th 2007 at 3:25 am.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, even if you can't help, its just nice to get some feelings off my chest. I would say that I'm quite an academic student (11A*, 1A in my GCSE's), so I'll try and email the unis. and see if that makes a difference. Other than that i'm going to email the Brit Council and the unis to see if there are any scholarships or some financial support to reduce the huge costs.

As for the army, I think thats a no-no for me. My mum had a friend who's son trained as a dentist and ended up in Iraq. He left before the 5 years were up and had to pay the army back.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Yorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really nice

Hi,
I will be returning to the UK after 16 months in NZ and doing my PGCE. I spoke to the University and they said despite my having PR, because I have only lived out of the country for a short period then I should be ok. I suggest you ring the University you intend to apply to and find out their policy on the matter as there may be a way around it. I think if it's under 3 years you should be ok though.

Good Luck.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:04 am
Just Joined

What university are you going to? All of the repsonses I have had from the unis. I've emailed so far have been negative.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Yorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really nice

I rang several and got fairly positive responses. Worcester were good (had to fill in a form) and I'm in the process of applying to Exeter.

I would suggest talking on the phone over email - it's suprising how much more info you can get!!

Good luck
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Sorry, I just had a thought It's probably because you have had part of your education here (in NZ) so technically are an international student. Although I have residency I can get around things by saying I took the opportunity to travel whilst my children are very young so it is just classed as travelling and therefore temporary.

Hope things work out for you!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:28 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HerbieDog
This is my first post on these forums, and I’m hoping that someone will be able to offer me some advice about returning back to the UK for university.

My family and myself moved out to NZ in October 2005, and so far things have been a bit up and down. I’m just about to turn 18 and start my final year at school, and have begun to think about my future educational plans. Up until the age of 16 I had been in the UK, and was a citizen, as well as both of my parents. We now have permanent residence in NZ.

My initial plan was to return back to the UK for university, working for a few months before starting my degree in September/October 2008. After some general browsing on the Internet I have encountered a number of problems, which upon looking at some posts on this forum seem to have been experienced by others in my position. The main problem so far is that it appears I will be classed as an international student, and thus have to pay in excess of quadruple the home fees.

As of yet the rest of my family are undecided on whether they will also return back to the UK. If they do choose to return to the UK I will be left in the position of either staying on my own in NZ for 3-4 years, or seemingly paying the exorbitant international student fees.

I have contacted the educational department of my local British council who confirmed that to usually be considered for home fees you have to of been resident in the UK for 3 years previous to the start of your course. However they said that an exception would be made if we were only temporarily out of the country (a grey area according to him). Of course the definition of temporary is to be decided upon the university, where they will look at the length of time out of the country, whether a home has been maintained in the UK, and the nature of my parents jobs. Unfortunately we no longer have a home in the UK, although our relatives still live there, my mother has a permanent job, whilst my dad’s is temporary but likely to be extended. There also lies the problem that the universities won’t decide on my fee status until after I apply through UCAS after September 2007. So until then there is no way of knowing whether I will be classed as a home student by none, some or all of the 6 universities I apply to.

Has anyone else experienced these kind of problems, and how did you proceed. My grandparents from the UK our currently staying with us, so when they return I hope they will be able to sort something out. My grandmother works for the CAB so she’s going to see if there is a way around it, but I’m not too hopeful. If not looks like I’ll be pinning my hopes on an extremely unlikely scholarship.

Thanks in advance

James
was under the impression that you needed to return within the 3 yr limit not be resident for the three yrs in which case you could return live uk for a gap year then start uni but you will need to check that I haven't yet ,my son is in the same boat and I need to start digging .If I find anything I'll let you know .
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:49 am
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

another great scam of rip-off britain. incidentally, they are reporting that tuition fees in the uk will hit 10,000 sterling for home students in the relatively near future. meanwhile, you could learn german and study at a top german university for 500 euro a year, or study free in scandanavia. but in england, they will rip you off royally for 3 years after you return to the country. its disgraceful.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:11 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
another great scam of rip-off britain. incidentally, they are reporting that tuition fees in the uk will hit 10,000 sterling for home students in the relatively near future. meanwhile, you could learn german and study at a top german university for 500 euro a year, or study free in scandanavia. but in england, they will rip you off royally for 3 years after you return to the country. its disgraceful.
pull your head in every country charges fees for tersary tuition and in some cases a damn site more than the UK , just because you can quote fees cheaper in a few places does not make britain a rip off, why shouldn't you pay for uni to get a job thats going to get you a good wage you'd complain about paying to see a doctor. would you want to live in Germany ?.may be you prefer they increase taxes for you to complain about and send everyone to uni free.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:24 am
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by toandfro
pull your head in every country charges fees for tersary tuition and in some cases a damn site more than the UK , just because you can quote fees cheaper in a few places does not make britain a rip off, why shouldn't you pay for uni to get a job thats going to get you a good wage you'd complain about paying to see a doctor. would you want to live in Germany ?.may be you prefer they increase taxes for you to complain about and send everyone to uni free.
but this person is a british citizen that is required to wait 3 years before she can receive home rates, even though they are british - thats the rip off part. instead of waiting those 3 years, he/she could save themselves time and money by studying elsewhere in europe, where tuition fees are lower than england. to name a few countries - france, netherlands, germany, sweden, denmark, norway - all charge much lower fees than uk and do not have a 3 years waiting stipulation.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
but this person is a british citizen that is required to wait 3 years before she can receive home rates, even though they are british
Universities in Quebec charge less to Canadians living in Quebec than they do to Canadians from out of province.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.