returning to uk asap

Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: returning to uk asap

I see the OP's point. Not that I have any experience with the life of an hourly wage worker in the UK but apparently he does, and if he thinks it's better in the UK then I accept that as fair warning.

I also agree with the other posters that the "haves" in the US have a very different lifestyle than the "have nots". I for one have never had to work on a single holiday, unless I was crazy enough and young enough to want to brown-nose and work on a new business pitch or something. Even as a person just starting out with my first job fresh out of college I had a minimum of 2 weeks paid vacation plus personal days and sick leave and of course all the public holidays -- certainly not the one week of vacation in two whole years that the OP speaks of. But then again, not the same category of work.

I do have to say, from where I sit, that if we compare similar jobs it seems the ones in the UK are a bit more relaxed and have more perks. My (American) sister has worked in the UK since graduating from (American) university a few years ago. She has 5 weeks of vacation I think? I think I only had a maximum of 3 weeks of vacation when I had been working about as long as she had. Also she seems to have more reasonable work hours compared to an equivalent position in the US.
I started at 18 with 4 weeks and 35 hour week.

Which may be bad news if you are hourly paid, I was not. I think the minimum wage works out at $12 and no Health Insurance premiums.

Also of course today and Monday are Bank Holidays, would not notice them here.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
What are you talking about? I was working Easter Sunday at ASDA years ago during my degree studies, whilst people probably like you were food shopping.
get paid time and a half or more usually though for working holidays...
Old Apr 7th 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jjmb
Thats a good salary in TX because the minimum wage is the fed limit of $5.15.

What a flippin' joke! £2.57 per hour.

There is a definite link between poverty and crime.

£5.35 in the UK with free healthcare and statutory holiday entitlement. Add in maternity leave etc...

Read "The European Dream" by Jeremy Rifkin
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

ploplop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hammersmith_cockney
I will be returning to UK in July 2007, and will not be getting my US citizenship. Why? you ask, well, its many little things, working conditions, vacation time is the biggest thing. Just one week off in nearly 2 years working, and having to work over Christmas, New Year and Easter is the last straw.

<snip>

Cheers!
Hi, I would like to give you my opinion. Do not select the place where do you want to live according to some petty considerations about wages and vacation time. It may be better for you in the UK right now, but how can you know if it won't be the same as in the US in the future?

Most important is in my opinion where you want to live, make friends, have your children grow up and where do you see an *emotional* long-term commitment, not where the food is less expensive.

You might, as advised in other posts, think about your career, your education and what do you want to achieve in your life before deciding to go back to the UK in order to earn (slightly) more.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hammersmith_cockney
My biggest shock was working Easter Sunday , thats unheard of in UK.
Costa coffee was open today (a South Bucks location), Easter Sunday. Jam packed with people as well, very long queue. I was surprised...but didn't stop me from buying a latte.

Did feel sympathy for the staff working, though.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

hammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ploplop
Hi, I would like to give you my opinion. Do not select the place where do you want to live according to some petty considerations about wages and vacation time. It may be better for you in the UK right now, but how can you know if it won't be the same as in the US in the future?

Most important is in my opinion where you want to live, make friends, have your children grow up and where do you see an *emotional* long-term commitment, not where the food is less expensive.

You might, as advised in other posts, think about your career, your education and what do you want to achieve in your life before deciding to go back to the UK in order to earn (slightly) more.

I quite agree with your comments, but in order to do well in USA you need a degree, and I can get more money in London for less hours and more vacation time. Not to mention the free healthcare on NHS. Seems to me, the Americans are like the proverbial hamster on a treadmill, and to me, thats silly. Life is to be enjoyed at a leisurely pace, not grab all materialism 24/7
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:49 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the OP has a point.

Minimum wage here in Santa Fe is currently $9.50 ($10.50 next year). Still not enough in a city where the median house price is $370,000.

One of the irritating things about the US is that, in order to be competitive, or even just 'minimally qualified' in the eyes of the employer, people are expected to get a degree for jobs that really have no need for a degree. Hence everyone is paying student loans on crappy salaries. Unfortunately, the UK has already embarked on this path too.

I've mentioned before that one of the things that keeps me in the US is that I have a good job - one of the good things about that job is that I have more time off than I can shake a stick at. Without that, yeah, I might be headed back to the UK too....

But then again, the skiing sucks in the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:23 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Brits complaining about where best to get out of working,uk or usa.I guess america is a tough place to live to those who have been spoiled
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:51 am
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Brits complaining about where best to get out of working,uk or usa.I guess america is a tough place to live to those who have been spoiled
No don't agree, the American work ethic is screwed.

Work to live, don't live to work.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Could be spoiled. I like to think of it as being treated with some respect for the hard work

OP, good luck with your move back. I don't blame you, to be honest. Even though I have a degree & a good profession behind me & could probably get a job with better holiday & pay etc, the crappy sick pay laws, maternity rights (what rights?), state law allowing you to be fired for whatever the boss feels like.... well, I agree it sucks.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Could be spoiled. I like to think of it as being treated with some respect for the hard work
And isn't amazing how all those lazy European economies seem to survive...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
And isn't amazing how all those lazy European economies seem to survive...
there all commies don't you know...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: returning to uk asap

Originally Posted by Bob
there all commies don't you know...
Then raise the scarlet standard high;
Beneath its folds we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.

Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Then raise the scarlet standard high;
Beneath its folds we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.

poetry again
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
poetry again
Its a song ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.