returning to uk asap

Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

hammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to all
Default returning to uk asap

Hello everyone! I have spent nearly 3 years in the USA, and having established myself here, have come to the conclusion that the USA is no better off than the UK.

The only thing that is cheaper in USA is gasoline/petrol. Currently its $ 2.59 a gallon and rising. I work too many hours for a large DIY company and the pay is measly at $ 9.50 ph. People of England beware! You have no Easter breaks, no Christmas breaks and no New Year Breaks. Be Warned. You have to work a full year before even being entitled to a week off.

Health Insurance is a rip-off and quite frankly, I wish I'd never come to America. Food is quite expensive here. Please , please do your homework before coming to the USA. I will not be taking permanent residency here or becoming a US citizen. Don't get me wrong, America is a beautiful place and the people here are just lovely. Its just too much of a culture shock.

Before anyone asks, I have lived all over the world as a child and the USA is just too "in your face" and bombastic with flag waving.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: returning to uk asap

How have you been working for the last 3 years if you are not a PR?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
How have you been working for the last 3 years if you are not a PR?
Let me guess - H1b?

L1?

+ a few other possibilities...
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Let me guess - H1b?

L1?
@ 9.50/hr! I think not
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
@ 9.50/hr! I think not
Note to self: re-read OP before replying.

I guess he's a former K1 or K3 whose still stuck in AOS?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
@ 9.50/hr! I think not
Give it time.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Note to self: re-read OP before replying.

I guess he's a former K1 or K3 whose still stuck in AOS?
3 Years?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hammersmith_cockney
You have no Easter breaks, no Christmas breaks and no New Year Breaks.
Hmm... Easter, Christmas and New Years are all federal holidays. Other people get them, so let's not make a fuss just because you don't.

You have to work a full year before even being entitled to a week off.
Umm... no, that's not necessarily true. I accrue vacation pay at a rate of 1.5 days per month... so I got a week off after fewer than 5 months. You must work for a shitty company... doesn't mean the rest of us do!

I wish I'd never come to America.
Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out!

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

hammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to all

I became a PR with conditional status upon marriage, and two years later, life isn't as rosy and the grass certainly isn't greener.

I am rather perturbed by senior citizens who HAVE to work, sometimes past 75 years of age, because Social Security cannot make up the difference.

As for the recent replies, everyone that comes to the USA, look at it with open eyes and not rose tinted ones.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:15 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
.........Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out!

Ian
Ever the diplomat... :curse:
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:26 am
Account Closed

I became a PR with conditional status upon marriage, and two years later, life isn't as rosy and the grass certainly isn't greener.

I am rather perturbed by senior citizens who HAVE to work, sometimes past 75 years of age, because Social Security cannot make up the difference.

As for the recent replies, everyone that comes to the USA, look at it with open eyes and not rose tinted ones.
I would agree, by the very nature of these boards you only tend to hear the positives.

Many people here are on Work Visa's that imply a higher standard of living.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Hmm... Easter, Christmas and New Years are all federal holidays. Other people get them, so let's not make a fuss just because you don't.

Umm... no, that's not necessarily true. I accrue vacation pay at a rate of 1.5 days per month... so I got a week off after fewer than 5 months. You must work for a shitty company... doesn't mean the rest of us do!
Holidays, that's a whole big mess, and your lucky, not everyone gets holidays straight up, I started with 21 days from day one, but I know I'm lucky...the missus at her last place got sod all for a year, then it was 10 days, which included sick days and a public holiday...yeah, it was a crap job, but also with a major credit card issuing bank.

It is certainly a case of the haves and have nots, and it's crap when you don't have it.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

I agree with the fact that the Americans work way too hard and work way too long.

I'm full of admiration for my fellow American workers and its a case of big business dictating the pace of work/life balance.

My biggest shock was working Easter Sunday , thats unheard of in UK.

My only hope that the US Government lifts the minimum wage even further past $ 7.25 and gives EVERYONE in USA,a minimum 4 weks off a year.

Thanks !
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone! I have spent nearly 3 years in the USA, and having established myself here, have come to the conclusion that the USA is no better off than the UK.

The only thing that is cheaper in USA is gasoline/petrol. Currently its $ 2.59 a gallon and rising. I work too many hours for a large DIY company and the pay is measly at $ 9.50 ph. People of England beware! You have no Easter breaks, no Christmas breaks and no New Year Breaks. Be Warned. You have to work a full year before even being entitled to a week off.

Health Insurance is a rip-off and quite frankly, I wish I'd never come to America. Food is quite expensive here. Please , please do your homework before coming to the USA. I will not be taking permanent residency here or becoming a US citizen. Don't get me wrong, America is a beautiful place and the people here are just lovely. Its just too much of a culture shock.

Before anyone asks, I have lived all over the world as a child and the USA is just too "in your face" and bombastic with flag waving.
Sfunny ...I found out all this before I arrived 10 years ago ...
Perhaps your only worth under $10 an hour ...
sounds like the wife dumped you for whining all the time ..
Old Apr 6th 2007, 5:01 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
Sfunny ...I found out all this before I arrived 10 years ago ...
Perhaps your only worth under $10 an hour ...
sounds like the wife dumped you for whining all the time ..
ts ts........ so today is not one of them "let's be nice to newbies" days then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.