Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to Scotland for university

Returning to Scotland for university

Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:17 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Returning to Scotland for university

Hello folks...

Have been reading the other posts about returning to the UK and wondered if anyone had any experiences to share about returning to Scotland from Oz for university? (regarding fees and the residency requirements?)

A Scottish mate of mine has been in Australia for nearly 2 years (it's probably 18months but he was in New Zealand for under 6 months before that). He was over here for the birth of his child etc (separated from Oz partner). His work permit etc is up and he has to return to UK but wants to do uni straight away so he can have the quals to return to Australia (ie: skilled visa). He really cannot afford to 'hang about' in Scotland for 3 years to satisfy residency requirements.

I've noticed some ppl's experience has been that 'temporary' time o/seas does not qualify you for international fees in the UK. Where would he go to find out what 'temporary' means? Is it decided by individual unis in Scotland the same as England? He does not have property/address in Scotland (was still using his parents as his permanent address when he left UK) if that matters.

He was in Australia on a WHV and then work permit so no hope of residency and home fees here.

What's the verdict??? Should he be contacting individual unis or the British Consulate (or praying!!) I'm sure it's the same for most ppl but this rule will have severe implications on his life (and that of the wee one!)

Thanks! MS