returning back pregnant

Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning back pregnant

yes I think it would be too risky for her to have the baby here as her unboyfriend could take steps to prevent her leaving the country. I have tried researaching on the internet but each state has different rules and we are in Mississippi.Yes, he is pretty savvy in the legal system and that is what I was thinking, get a court ordered DNA test. Will just have to wait and see what the doctor says tomorrow in regards to getting the OK to hop on a plane.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
yes I think it would be too risky for her to have the baby here as her unboyfriend could take steps to prevent her leaving the country. I have tried researaching on the internet but each state has different rules and we are in Mississippi.Yes, he is pretty savvy in the legal system and that is what I was thinking, get a court ordered DNA test. Will just have to wait and see what the doctor says tomorrow in regards to getting the OK to hop on a plane.
The general opinion on here is to do everything by the book. Removing a child from the US without the other parent's permission can have all sorts of ramifications. I don't know whether that includes an unborn child.

Can your daughter not get advice from a lawyer? IMO researching this on the internet is not a reliable source of information.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

yes you are right, she needs legal advice and not advice off the internet. She can contact her lawyer that granted her sole and legal custody of her 9 year old son a few years back. Great advice. Thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:22 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

You say she is getting out of a bad relationship, but that you were hoping they would work things out, so presumably it's not an abusive relationship. (If it is abusive, then my next paragraph doesn't apply.)

If this is just a break-up, I think it's a shame that she is taking his unborn child out of the country, which virtually guarantees baby and Dad have no relationship. I know it is impossible to do, but if this was the other way around, and it was a father taking the baby away from their mother there would be all kinds of outcry about how wrong that is.

I also have no idea how it works legally, but would she need to consider that she can't return to the US and visit with the baby. If the baby returned to the US, would the boyfriend have legal rights to stop them leaving again, and would it go against her that she left while pregnant?

In the US it sounds like she has a good job and family and (presumably) friends around her. I don't get the desperation to abandon all this for a country she doesn't know, at a vulnerable time, and that could possibly leave her in a very messy legal situation.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good points to ponder. I also feel sorry for the father of the baby. He is by no means a bad guy temperwise. Job wise he hasn't worked for a few months and has not bought anything for the baby but he did get a job last week so that was good. I wish she would work things out as I feel its unfair to him. I see both sides. They had thought of adoption earlier on and he hasn't seemed excited about having a baby, not to say that he isn't. Its all been confusing and then them having to move in with me and my husband probably hasn't helped matters. She mainly doesn't want to feel trapped in the US. She has thought about going over there for a while and so its for selfish reasons. Yes, you are right if the fathers name is not on the certificate if things didn't work out then she wouldn't be able to return to the US. My mind is in a muddle. I think I will let her research all this if this is what she wants to do. As a mum I want to feel like I can give advice if asked but in this situation I am treading to deep in the waters!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of
Question Re: returning back pregnant

Hi

Well this time last year I was in a similar situation. If she wants to go UK then she needs to travel asap or most airlines won't accept past 34wks!
I don't want to take over the thread with my current situation but she needs to think if:
1) the baby's father has shown signs not to be supportive, may be abusive? Not work?
2) her 9yr olds father will write a consent letter to make her travel & stay permanently in UK regardless if she has sole custody...it depends
3) she leaves for UK thinking she be better off & face habitual problems (need to be in UK at least 3months before get benefits, on housing list) etc. You stated don't want to live with sis too long but she might have to if that's her only support & renting will be expensive.

I was soo glad for BE last year when i was in my dilemma everyone was helpful. Have a look back at the thread "to go or not to go" it may help her decision.

All i can say a year on i'm still in UK & loving it. Still have no regrets was in canada for visit all summer as hubby is having change of mind again saying we cant leave permanently whilst citizenship in progress? But I think its an exscuse i've given him an ultimatum if cant be in UK for good by christmas we separate. It will be harder & expensive if goes to court to get us back so be easier to plan alternate visits once a year I guess?
I am not in a vulnerable position now, I'm happy with my children together & won't change it again for the world.
Good luck in whatever she decides. Pm if you like

Last edited by brit09; Oct 16th 2013 at 7:32 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If she can't fly, could she sail on the QM2? How far along is she in her pregnancy?
Pregnant women aren't allowed to travel on a cruise ship after 23/24 weeks of pregnancy. They have no capacity to care for a newborn, let alone if there were any complications, while at sea.