returning back pregnant

Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default returning back pregnant

This may have been discussed before so sorry for that in advance. Has anyone returned home pregnant and practically homeless? My daughter, UK citizen has been in a bad relationship and is wanting to move back to the UK so she wont be stuck in the US. She has some funds and my sister could put her up briefly. Thanks for any input into this situation.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 4:01 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: returning back pregnant

Originally Posted by morayeel
This may have been discussed before so sorry for that in advance. Has anyone returned home pregnant and practically homeless? My daughter, UK citizen has been in a bad relationship and is wanting to move back to the UK so she wont be stuck in the US. She has some funds and my sister could put her up briefly. Thanks for any input into this situation.
Hi Morayeel

So sorry to hear of your daughter's precarious situation, but I think she is wise to return to the UK for the birth of her baby, otherwise the father may prevent the child leaving not just the US, but even the State he/she's resident in. Is she a US citizen or a Greencard holder?

Here is some information from the England & Wales website of the charity 'Shelter' for homeless people; there is a seperate site for Scotland. There is definitely help available for your daughter and her baby and I wish her the very best at what is probably a very stressful time for her.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ring_pregnancy

The Citizen's Advice Bureau may also be a source of advice, perhaps your sister could make enquiries on her behalf? I think they operate an appointment system and are always busy, so best to get as much info as soon as possible.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 15th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning back pregnant

Oh thankyou so much for your info. I was worried there might be some self righteious and critical comments but indeed it is a horrible situation. I feel like I am going crazy myself never mind her. She is a dual citizen has a uk passport has lost her US passport but I think if the doc gives go ahead to fly she is due dec 3rd she will fly out next week into the unknown! but I will take a look at the links. Her boyfriend came to our house today to gather his stuff its all so sad but in my heart although I was hoping it would work out between them there were too many differences. She has a 9 year old son also with uk passport, long story there but thanks so very much and keep us in your prayers. I think I will go back with her, put the fare on my credit card! she has some money saved and am hoping she can rent somewhere at first as she doesn't want to have to stay with my sister for too long.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your daughters situation and hope it works out for her. Here is a link to a website that provides information on benefits in the Uk for parents and single parents, might at least give her some idea of what she may qualify for when she gets home and how to apply.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a562850/...s-and-benefits
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks so much. She is 28 I brought her over to the US when she was 2, she has only been back on visits to relatives in the past few years. Thanks once again for your support.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but I think pregnant women are prioritised for help. Just wanted to send good wishes.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

thankyou sally. She sees her doc tomorrow so see if she'll give her the go ahead to fly out and she can go from there.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:24 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Morayeel, I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's situation. I came back to England when I was 6 months pregnant, though not under such difficult circumstances. I posted about it at the end of this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800366

Your daughter will be entitled to NHS treatment (and free dental until a year after the birth). She should register with a GP as soon as she can, and they will organize a 'booking in' appointment at the local hospital. If she can bring along her US medial records, that's a plus, but the hospital may simply redo some of the tests.

Is she having a relatively straightforward pregnancy? Depending on how late she's flying and how pregnant she looks, she may need to show the airline a letter from her OB-GYN saying she's ok to fly.

I don't know about benefits or housing, unfortunately. I really recommend Mumsnet as a good source of UK info and support for everything from birth plans to benefits.

I hope it all works out with a minimum of stress.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks so much. She is 28 I brought her over to the US when she was 2, she has only been back on visits to relatives in the past few years. Thanks once again for your support.
Sorry to hear about the situation your daughter finds herself in.

I have one question...you said she also has a 9 yr old son who has a UK PP...where does the boy's father live? I ask because if he lives in the US he could prevent your daughter taking him to live in the UK.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou, that will be her first priority is to register with a G.P. So far a straightforward pregnancy apart from anemia. She is still working full time as a lab tech. I mentioned to her to see if doc will give her the OK to fly. I do know she willhave to pass habitual residency and that can take a while. She is hard worker, has always worked here in the US and has an associates degree in Lab Technology. I hope it all works out too, thanks for your good wishes.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

She has sole and legal custody of her 9 year old son. The father of my grandson hasn't been in contact with them for years. We were able to get him a UK passport no problem. She just showed custody papers so I am hoping that wont be an issue.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She has sole and legal custody of her 9 year old son. The father of my grandson hasn't been in contact with them for years. We were able to get him a UK passport no problem. She just showed custody papers so I am hoping that wont be an issue.
I don't know if sole and legal custody means your daughter can remove her son without the father's permission or proof that she has tried to find him to seek permission. Maybe someone will come along who is more knowledgable than I to advise you.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's so true we are not totally sure of the legalities. I was thinking if the doc doesn't give her the go ahead to fly if she has the baby here but does not put the fathers name on the birth certificate if she could save up more money and then get her new son a passport since the father's name would not be on birth certificate? That would work out better for her If she could time it better. She just does not want "stuck" here once the baby is born
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's so true we are not totally sure of the legalities. I was thinking if the doc doesn't give her the go ahead to fly if she has the baby here but does not put the fathers name on the birth certificate if she could save up more money and then get her new son a passport since the father's name would not be on birth certificate? That would work out better for her If she could time it better. She just does not want "stuck" here once the baby is born
I think I would try to find out what the legal position is re the boy's father...and that of the unborn child.

With regard to the baby...I would think the father could prevent the baby being removed from the US if he wished...whether he is named as the father or not. A simple DNA retest would prove paternity. If it were me I would quickly find out the legal situation regarding the boy and the baby...then if given the all clear... hop on the next plane back to the UK. I have no idea if he could prevent her from moving back to the UK with his unborn child?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 15th 2013 at 6:08 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: returning back pregnant

I was thinking if the doc doesn't give her the go ahead to fly if she has the baby here but does not put the fathers name on the birth certificate if she could save up more money and then get her new son a passport since the father's name would not be on birth certificate? That would work out better for her If she could time it better. She just does not want "stuck" here once the baby is born
I think she would be taking a huge risk if she has the baby in the US....the bio father could go to court to order a DNA test and then prevent the baby from leaving... Is he controlling in his behaviour?

If she can't fly, could she sail on the QM2? How far along is she in her pregnancy?

Ha ha.....I was in the middle of typing my reply when my husband interrupted me (he wants us to go to New Jersey for Christmas, then up to Lake Placid) - so when I hit the 'send' button, Jerseygirl had beaten me to it with the very same thoughts lol!

PS. My best friend, an Aussie expat in NJ flew back home to Australia to have her son because of the legal implications of having a baby in the US when her relationship with her partner was unstable. In the State of NJ, a child born in New Jersey or has become resident there is considered a 'native' of the State of NJ and cannot be removed to another State or overseas without permission from the NJ State superior court in the case of a parental dispute.

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 15th 2013 at 6:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.