Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returned UKers? Aussie Citizenship?

Returned UKers? Aussie Citizenship?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Question Returned UKers? Aussie Citizenship?

Probably more apt question in this forum for those returned or returning.

Whilst in OZ did u mange to obtain citizenship/aussie passport.?

Just curious as to whom may have the desire to return again, even after such negative dramas by those who now despise the place. ie...change of heart, place to retire, fed up with the UK again or cold feet.

For me, I'd make damn sure i have all the paperwork(visas) to allow a return to OZ should circumstances change later in life.

muzza
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:34 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

It's also worth considering the future position of any children in the family - even if you, the parents, don't ever want to return to Australia, the children might at some point. Worst-case scenario is when some children in a family have Australian citizenship (e.g. because they were born in Australia to settled parents) and others don't (e.g. because they were born either before or after the family was in Australia).

It can be very difficult to explain later to children why you didn't take the opportunity to naturalise when you had it.

I think, in other than exceptional circumstances, it is well worth naturalising as Australian if you fulfil the criteria - there is no question of losing your UK citizenship if you do, and Australian citizenship carries no burdens for people who are outside Australia - and hardly any for people who are inside Australia for that matter (unlike some citizenships, which carry duties of national service or make tax arrangements complicated for off-shore residents).
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The point about family members - especially children - sharing the same nationality is very important.

If the family naturalises while in Australia, it's important to be aware that children born after returning to the UK are eligible for Australian citizenship by descent (although this does have to be applied for by age 25).

The same points apply in general to Canadian and New Zealand citizenship.

US citizenship is more of a double-edged sword because of the tax and Selective Service obligations that come with it, although is generally still well worth having in terms of the career and life opportunities it can open up, especially for young people.

Jeremy

Originally posted by CPW
It's also worth considering the future position of any children in the family - even if you, the parents, don't ever want to return to Australia, the children might at some point. Worst-case scenario is when some children in a family have Australian citizenship (e.g. because they were born in Australia to settled parents) and others don't (e.g. because they were born either before or after the family was in Australia).

It can be very difficult to explain later to children why you didn't take the opportunity to naturalise when you had it.

I think, in other than exceptional circumstances, it is well worth naturalising as Australian if you fulfil the criteria - there is no question of losing your UK citizenship if you do, and Australian citizenship carries no burdens for people who are outside Australia - and hardly any for people who are inside Australia for that matter (unlike some citizenships, which carry duties of national service or make tax arrangements complicated for off-shore residents).
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returned UKers? Aussie Citizenship?

Originally posted by Muzza04
Probably more apt question in this forum for those returned or returning.

Whilst in OZ did u mange to obtain citizenship/aussie passport.?

muzza
When I went through my honeymoon phase with Oz, I became a citizen. My children were born in Oz and so have automatic citizenship.

And, no, we have no intention of returning to Oz. For a very short while, just before we left Oz, we toyed with the idea of retiring there. But, since we've returned to the UK we've nixed that idea.

Of course, when our children are adults, they may have different ideas and want to spend time - or even emigrate - to Oz. Each to their own.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

MartinC is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to stay in Perth until we get Aus citizenship. My son (born in UK before we moved to Oz) will also have dual citizenship. However our second child due in Oct will be born in Oz but I am reliably informed (by JaJ I think!) that s/he can be a British citizen too so all should be well if and when we return to the UK. In that they both have dual nationality.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returned UKers? Aussie Citizenship?

The point being that if they have citizenship, they will have the choice of doing so or not. If they don't have citizenship, it will require visas that they may or may not be able to obtain.

Jeremy

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Of course, when our children are adults, they may have different ideas and want to spend time - or even emigrate - to Oz. Each to their own.