Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

return shipments of furniture!

return shipments of furniture!

Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all
Default return shipments of furniture!

Hey well we've finally made the decision to go home...phew, we've had a blast and will continue to do so until our lease rund out in June, but then it's time to go home!!!!! the pressure is now off and to be honest we didn't realise how much pressure we felt until we finalyy made this decision, we have no regrets and it was an amazing adventure but this is the right move for us!!! On that note i'd like to ask about removal companies going back, we used crown coming and have since been told they are expensive, can anyone recommend another company and give an idea of cost for a 20ft container. Also are there strict laws going into the uk as there are coming into australia?
any help would be greatfully received! Karen.

Last edited by Karen72; Jan 14th 2007 at 5:55 am. Reason: spelling mistakes...oopsy!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: return shipments of furniture!

Originally Posted by Karen72
Hey well we've finally made the decision to go home...phew, we've had a blast and will continue to do so until our lease rund out in June, but then it's time to go home!!!!! the pressure is now off and to be honest we didn't realise how much pressure we felt until we finalyy made this decision, we have no regrets and it was an amazing adventure but this is the right move for us!!! On that note i'd like to ask about removal companies going back, we used crown coming and have since been told they are expensive, can anyone recommend another company and give an idea of cost for a 20ft container. Also are there strict laws going into the uk as there are coming into australia?
Hi Karen,

We are also going home and I had Kent round on Friday. Haven't had the quote back yet but he said we'll need a 20ft plus a third again. Think it will be about $8000 as I phoned Crown and they said between $6-$8 for that amount. Also getting quoted for taking the car home.

Jo
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold

Would be interested to hear any replies to this. We only arrived in November but already plan on going home when our lease runs out in December (originally planned to stay 2yrs minimum to decide if permanent but already know we prefer home). Anyway - we used Crown coming out too but oh's company paid for it...having to pay back half the costs PLUS our own relocation back :-\ Much cheapness is required, lol....
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi Karen,

We are also going home and I had Kent round on Friday. Haven't had the quote back yet but he said we'll need a 20ft plus a third again. Think it will be about $8000 as I phoned Crown and they said between $6-$8 for that amount. Also getting quoted for taking the car home.

Jo
i would also like to know the costs involved if i find out i will let you know
we shipped our gear over in a 20ft on our own to cut the middle man out and it was ok hopefully it will be the same on the way back.
task
Old Jan 17th 2007, 8:32 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karen

We've had a quote from Wridgeways - Melbourne to Manchester $7200 for 20ft. Good luck!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:31 am
Just Joined

lynniep has a brilliant futurelynniep has a brilliant futurelynniep has a brilliant futurelynniep has a brilliant futurelynniep has a brilliant futurelynniep has a brilliant futurelynniep has a brilliant future

Hi Karen

might be worth you checking out Chess (www.chessmoving.com.au) We had a good experience with them although our things went from Sydney. You can get the quote from their website. They might ring you to clarify things.

(I'm not sure what our stuff was shipped in - probably not 20ft though). We had 16 boxes of varied sizes, plus bed, sofa, fridgefreezer, microwave, washing machine, some shelves and bedside tables and were quoted just over $3k. We had it insured for $20k through them, and the total cost came to about $3700.
For this, we packed our own boxes (which were delivered beforehand), but they came and wrapped all the big stuff themselves (and did it very well)

At this end, we had to have it stored for a few months as it arrived in the UK way before they estimated - they went through Brittania Movers and it cost about £25 a week plus £75 initial fee. It was no problem getting it delivered this end, even though we asked originally for it to be sent to London but our final address was in Cambridgeshire, and everything arrived in one piece apart from two broken picture frames (and considering I sent a load of hand made ceramics, thats not bad)
Old Jan 20th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just got our quote from Kent, $11250 for 20ft and 1/3. Don't know if it will be shared in the second container. Thought this was a lot so phoned Pickfords and told them the square meters we needed and they said $11500-$12000 so think it's much of a muchness. Think we will go with Kent unless anyone else has any cheaper/better recommendations.

Jo