renting in UK

Old May 7th 2004, 6:06 pm
mickj

The one and only "Kings College London" Mate. Why do you ask? The reason i pulled you up on that, is because you said "anywhere". My flat in the docklands is renting out for £400 at the moment ( 2 bedroom ), and there are other things like service charge and all that, i left it furnished of course.

Old May 7th 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gross50
i dont know how much the cheap flats cost but they definitily dont cost that much. the rental market in the UK hasnt peaked since last years down turn. there are a lot of rental properties in london, and not a lot of decent tenants.
Exactly. That's my impression as well. OK, so last time we were renting was over 10 years ago, but still... I remember that the price advertised would be the price you pay, in regard to rentals. I couldn't believe that the place advertised for 550 would be prepared to drop to 390. Unbelievable. On the other hand, it's good to be in a tenant market.
Old May 7th 2004, 6:28 pm
mickj

I guess you have to see the place for yourself and live in it to actually find out why they dropped the price. Don't forget some of them don't update their webpage, and when you go there, they tell you its gone.

Beware of estate agents bearing gifts :scared: You also have to deal with BT and NTL ( formerly cable & wireless ), british gas, royal mail, and the lovely TV licence of course. ( Am going to admit it here, i never bought one in the UK, reason being by the time i knock of work, its late, and i don't open doors to someone am not expecting ).

Old May 7th 2004, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by mickj
I guess you have to see the place for yourself and live in it to actually find out why they dropped the price. Don't forget some of them don't update their webpage, and when you go there, they tell you its gone.

Beware of estate agents bearing gifts :scared: You also have to deal with BT and NTL ( formerly cable & wireless ), british gas, royal mail, and the lovely TV licence of course. ( Am going to admit it here, i never bought one in the UK, reason being by the time i knock of work, its late, and i don't open doors to someone am not expecting ).
Oh, it's not just that property that would agree to drop the price, it's pretty much all of them. I find foxtons very good, their website is updated daily and they have floorplans and pictures on it (not that I don't trust my half to choose a flat, but you know, I am operating on principle: trust but CONTROL) .

There isn't much of 'dealing' with phone and gas companies, and TV licence wouldn't break the bank, not really. By the way, I was looking at Telewest (anybody have anything to say about them?). The package of phone (free local calls evenings and weekends), broadband internet and TV (with movies) comes to 71 a month, I thought it's pretty good.
Old May 7th 2004, 6:53 pm
mickj

I know FOXTONS very well, there is one near baker street station, just as you cross the road to go into the park ( regents park ). Anyway....telewest doesn't cover the whole of london, so you have to make sure they are in your area.

NTL is pretty good, i was with them until i came over here to canada, and they have one of those cards where you just go into an off licence to pay your bills, without doing direct debit or sending stuff off. they have a phone, digital tv and broadband package, check them out. I believe they are now doing 1GB kbp/s as suppose to 512, broadband service. That is like an internet connection on a CHEETAH'S speed. I used them to download a lot of albums and films during the days of NAPSTER.

I haven't got anything bad to say about them, and no my relatives don't work there

Last edited by mickj; May 7th 2004 at 7:18 pm.

Old May 7th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll check out the charges and will post here for others' benefit too.
Old May 7th 2004, 9:00 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

The one and only "Kings College London" Mate. Why do you ask? The reason i pulled you up on that, is because you said "anywhere". My flat in the docklands is renting out for £400 at the moment ( 2 bedroom ), and there are other things like service charge and all that, i left it furnished of course.

micky j, which docklands estate agent are you letting out with? i've bought and rented out with countyhall before. dont like their service. i'm getting my town house in the market at the end of june. i'll be lucky if i get 400 for 3 bed/2 bath modern terrace, with garden and garage. will be going to london soon, to get my stuff shipped and prepare the house. plus meet the agents.

KCL has pretty much sold most of the kensington properties to developers
Old May 7th 2004, 10:27 pm
mickj

Actually there is not an agent involved, and the guy renting the place is a yank that works for the HSBC that is just by the docklands there.

Like i said, i left all my furniture that was brand new in there, so all he and his girlfriend had to do, was just move in, there is an underground parking, a communal swimming pool, and a games room.

Tell me about it, i heard kings kensington campus has been sold to developers, and that money was used to build the new waterloo campus, which i managed to see last year when i was there. My time was divided between kensington and the strand when i was there.

Originally posted by Gross50
micky j, which docklands estate agent are you letting out with? i've bought and rented out with countyhall before. dont like their service. i'm getting my town house in the market at the end of june. i'll be lucky if i get 400 for 3 bed/2 bath modern terrace, with garden and garage. will be going to london soon, to get my stuff shipped and prepare the house. plus meet the agents.

KCL has pretty much sold most of the kensington properties to developers

Old May 8th 2004, 12:52 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Actually there is not an agent involved, and the guy renting the place is a yank that works for the HSBC that is just by the docklands there.

Like i said, i left all my furniture that was brand new in there, so all he and his girlfriend had to do, was just move in, there is an underground parking, a communal swimming pool, and a games room.

Tell me about it, i heard kings kensington campus has been sold to developers, and that money was used to build the new waterloo campus, which i managed to see last year when i was there. My time was divided between kensington and the strand when i was there.

most of my family went through KCL. keeps getting worse. lack of funding. i'm now working on a collaboration with one of the departments, how sad can that be! got to attend a graduation next year over there.

i'm also leaving part of the furniture. though i'm taking away any extra stuff. at least i got very little service charge to pay for the town house. i previously stayed in a flat and service charge was 2400 per year, plus ground rent. and yet my bike got nicked from the underground parking! docklands is cool though.