Oh wot a nightmare

Old May 1st 2004, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Oh wot a nightmare

Yeah right. Much to my amusement I have been looking at property this week, picked up the car and drove getting out of the electric wheelchair speeds of OZ was a bit scary but soon zooming along. Discovered Wiltshire by getting lost on the way to Gloucestershire, dont ask how. Ok so after London I discover I can now buy my own bloody country estate, well if 4.5 acres and a 23 roomed 17th century farmhouse fits why not Price, same as the Buderim house one hour from Brisvegas. Sorry but I am a bit amazed, sure its wiltshire 1.5 hours from London but thats pretty close all considered its amazing. I honestly cant believe how much is for sale tho, there are thousands of houses everywhere I look, I know its supposed to be booming but hell the old buyer has a lot to choose from as yet the wiltshire estate is on my shortlist

Wot else, had some amazing weather then rain, nothing that you cant fix with an umbrella. Just love being cool tho, feel really energized after an OZ summer. Ringing up family then being there in half an hour is amazing after the dreadful feeling of waiting years between visits to see them. My Dad is so over the moon we are back its taken 10 years off of him, new lease of life so to speak, my sister is beside herself, we shop, pub, drink at every available opportunity. Still getting the "How on earth can you leave OZ" dreamers tho, always without exception from those who have never been to OZ

Shops, real clothing all this pretty summery stuff with a 50's theme I could go mental, but not much point with a 3 month bike tour looming. Food without a doubt cheaper, exception some meat and cheese. Petrol expensive but it seems I can go round the country twice on a tank so who cares People well where the hell are these miserable unfriendly people? From London to the wilderness of wiltshire people are totally helpful and friendly to me, as always I am constantly getting lost and not once has someone not stepped in and helped out, people talk to me all the time. And yep I am still looking for beggars not one yet probably saw more in Melbourne.

Most overwhelming feeling - Choice, choice of everything to do, see, go, buy, eat, OZ always felt very limiting and repetitious, I love the variety here.

Suppose I should have posted this on the OZ forum too, but its a scary place now, lots of no crime no drugs and perfect weather posts Some people are in for one big shock.

Tatty bye more house hunting surprises tomorrow I hope.
Old May 2nd 2004, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh wot a nightmare

Buy the Wiltshire Estate Dotty, you can rent out the other rooms to all the Aslyum seekers, which will be funded by the government, you will be rich, and think of all those culinary delights from the different countries and the parties to be had...... where did you say this property was? and price? I'm warming to this idea myself, LOL

Get route finder which you will find with google, an excellent tool, think green flag was a good one, I know one of them, the computer operator obviously forgot her left from her right, because I went down the wrong road. confused: Getting lost is great, you find places you didnt know existed, and how far your car goes on empty :
Old May 2nd 2004, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

wow and English estate..

I think you should buy it and make part of it available to people who have been forced to return to the UK.

Oh come to think of it that will be me, hubby and our 4 children in about a month...

We are very handy to have arround ya know....

So how long till you buy???????

Sounds wonderful to hear how you feel about being back in UK... I have heard so many horror stories... Your post made my feeling of dread lessen somwhat..... Thank you...

Good luck with your house hunting and remember getting lost is gods way of showing you new scenery....
Old May 2nd 2004, 4:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dotty
Ok so after London I discover I can now buy my own bloody country estate, well if 4.5 acres and a 23 roomed 17th century farmhouse fits why not Price, same as the Buderim house one hour from Brisvegas.
Wow, what type of house did you have in Buderim.

All I hear from people in UK is how expensive the houses are.

And how much is this property you are looking at ? Do you have a web link to it ?

Old May 2nd 2004, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

...People well where the hell are these miserable...people?
Waiting for their visas to Oz, or busy locking up their daughters as the hordes arrive from the 10 accession countries ?

Where else but UK can you nearly run a person down on a zebra crossing and that person says "Sorry!" ?!

Some of the things I really missed the subtlety, good sense of humour and self-deprecating ways.
Old May 2nd 2004, 10:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Waiting for their visas to Oz, or busy locking up their daughters as the hordes arrive from the 10 accession countries ?
Come on Mike, You yourself said on 2nd Feb 2004:

Originally posted by MikeStanton
General pros (I'm comparing Sydney with London) would include: clean, people look less miserable,
You can't have it both ways

Last edited by ABCDiamond; May 2nd 2004 at 12:18 pm.

Old May 2nd 2004, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

General pros (I'm comparing Sydney with London) would include: clean, people look less miserable,

...You can't have it both ways
I was wrong in the "looking less miserable" part.

I posted that comment before returning to UK. Wrongly, I assumed it to be the case, because it is often sunnier in Oz - even if it gets too hot some days. To be honest I had never noticed whether people in the UK looked miserable, happy or in-between.

Now, since I have returned, in the interests of science I've looked and most people do not look more or less miserable than most I encountered in Sydney.

Which shows that it is dangerous to make assumptions until you encounter actual experience. Mmmmm...
Old May 2nd 2004, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what type of house did you have in Buderim.
Most likely to be something like this , I reckon, ABC!
Old May 2nd 2004, 1:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by nickyc
Most likely to be something like this , I reckon, ABC!
But thats only $1.5m, say about £625,000.

That wouldn't go far towards a 4.5 acres and a 23 roomed 17th century country estate, would it ?

I am really curious about both properties now

Old May 2nd 2004, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

But thats only $1.5m, say about £625,000.

That wouldn't go far towards a 4.5 acres and a 23 roomed 17th century country estate, would it ?

I am really curious about both properties now
Well, I wouldn't really call this an estate and it doesn't quite have 23 rooms (only 18 if you count the landings and Tank room!) - but it's a 17th Century farmhouse on 4.5 acres in Wiltshire and can all be yours for 560,00 pounds
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/rm/templa...a_n=9&tr_t=buy
Old May 2nd 2004, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Yeah right. Much to my amusement I have been looking at property this week, picked up the car and drove getting out of the electric wheelchair speeds of OZ was a bit scary but soon zooming along. Discovered Wiltshire by getting lost on the way to Gloucestershire, dont ask how. Ok so after London I discover I can now buy my own bloody country estate, well if 4.5 acres and a 23 roomed 17th century farmhouse fits why not Price, same as the Buderim house one hour from Brisvegas. Sorry but I am a bit amazed, sure its wiltshire 1.5 hours from London but thats pretty close all considered its amazing. I honestly cant believe how much is for sale tho, there are thousands of houses everywhere I look, I know its supposed to be booming but hell the old buyer has a lot to choose from as yet the wiltshire estate is on my shortlist

Wot else, had some amazing weather then rain, nothing that you cant fix with an umbrella. Just love being cool tho, feel really energized after an OZ summer. Ringing up family then being there in half an hour is amazing after the dreadful feeling of waiting years between visits to see them. My Dad is so over the moon we are back its taken 10 years off of him, new lease of life so to speak, my sister is beside herself, we shop, pub, drink at every available opportunity. Still getting the "How on earth can you leave OZ" dreamers tho, always without exception from those who have never been to OZ

Shops, real clothing all this pretty summery stuff with a 50's theme I could go mental, but not much point with a 3 month bike tour looming. Food without a doubt cheaper, exception some meat and cheese. Petrol expensive but it seems I can go round the country twice on a tank so who cares People well where the hell are these miserable unfriendly people? From London to the wilderness of wiltshire people are totally helpful and friendly to me, as always I am constantly getting lost and not once has someone not stepped in and helped out, people talk to me all the time. And yep I am still looking for beggars not one yet probably saw more in Melbourne.

Most overwhelming feeling - Choice, choice of everything to do, see, go, buy, eat, OZ always felt very limiting and repetitious, I love the variety here.

Suppose I should have posted this on the OZ forum too, but its a scary place now, lots of no crime no drugs and perfect weather posts Some people are in for one big shock.

Tatty bye more house hunting surprises tomorrow I hope.
Hiya Dotty
Glad to hear the you are having a ball.

regards
Debs
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:48 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dotty

So good to see you have not been put off by the "dreamers". Its' so good to hear from you...I am very envious and how bloody brilliant it must be to see the family and what your return has done for them !!

Please keep us posted ,its does us all good to hear how it is back home..Thanks

Pants

have a few for me !!!!
Old May 4th 2004, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty should take off her rose tinted specs (as she would advise others to do) and look at the UK for what it really is!
Old May 5th 2004, 2:31 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi Dotty,
it's brilliant isn't it?
When I was back in the UK in Feb/March.. I spent my time wandering around Gower, driving down country roads, walking along the windswept beaches, going to these 200 yr old + pubs with old wood beams and open fires... even had to stop to let some wild horses cross the road.

I had snow, rain and shine in the month I was back. I had some lovely conversations with strangers on buses ( I used public transport, if family were too busy to drive me around) , strangers in pubs.. strangers in town, and no they were not misrable or unhappy.. they were friendly and gosh - they smiled, without saying " How are you today" with a false painted smile and in a parrot fashion voice.

I can't relate to these people on here who say Britain is crap ( all that I can say they must be in a crap place of Britain) .. The other day someone replied to one of my posts, and said Ceri, if you haven't been back to the Uk for 12 years you're in for a shock - the country has gone to the pot. I didn't even bother replying to the post , and that I was back there just over a month ago, and has it gone to the pot in a month! lol People seem to think that just because "we" are living away from Britain that we don't go back every so often, and spout such rubbish about Britain.

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.. I miss Britain terribly after going back there in feb/March. It just confirms my opinion that we will be making the right move by returning to Wales.

Ps about the houses - yes there are bargains out there outside the main cities. I came across a few myself. I was looking for an old house ( a few hundred years old) .. I came across one which was fire damage ( ie inside fire damaged.. totally gutted, so it would need re-wiring and floors put in etc, etc) .. this was overlooking the sea.. it was the price of 250 thou pounds ( of course it would need a lot of money to get it ship shape.. but boy it was worth it!)

cheers

P.s Have you been in the supermarkets yet? ooh the choices normally I hate shopping, but I was like a kid in a sweet shop when I was back.

Last edited by Ceri; May 5th 2004 at 2:33 am.
Old May 5th 2004, 3:40 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MeganEkno
Dotty should take off her rose tinted specs (as she would advise others to do) and look at the UK for what it really is!

Funny enough I don't think Dotty wears them..she speaks as she finds !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.