Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Relinquish UK driver license?

Relinquish UK driver license?

Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Faery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relinquish UK driver license?

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I posted in the USA forum too as not sure where to put this post.

So I've been living in the US for several years and I still have my UK driver license with my previous name and last UK address, which I cannot change as I am not a UK resident so until now I've hung onto it. Now my license is due for renewal in 2017. If I send it back to the DVLA, and if I were ever resident in the UK again, would I be able to get it back or would I have to re-take a driving test?

Should I send it back to DVLA with a letter? I'm NOT currently planning on moving back to the UK.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relinquish UK driver license?

Generally your license is good/reissuable until you are 70, and even after that you aren't expected to retake the test.

Personally I would hang on to the license even if it had expired.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:42 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relinquish UK driver license?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Generally your license is good/reissuable until you are 70, and even after that you aren't expected to retake the test.

Personally I would hang on to the license even if it had expired.
Keep it and renew if you move back. I still have mine from 1979 in a slowly yellowing plastic wallet.