Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Doggies in UK..where can they go?

Doggies in UK..where can they go?

Old Nov 15th 2016, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Question Doggies in UK..where can they go?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me where I'll be able to bring my dog over there? Can they go into shops, on buses, trains, pubs?

How about places where she'll be able to run free, safely off-leash, hopefully in a large area with bushes, fences or something.?

Old Nov 15th 2016, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doggies in UK..where can they go?

The UK is very doggy friendly. They can't go in to most shops (although places like pet shops are fine), pubs generally allow them, and they can go on public transport. A lot of beaches are dog friendly, and there are footpaths all over the place you can take them on to run around as well as parks etc.

Last weekend we had a weekend down in the New Forest, our dogs stayed in a hotel with us, went for long walks all over the place with us, and came to several different pubs with us. We didn't need to leave them in the car once.

HTH.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The UK is very doggy friendly. They can't go in to most shops (although places like pet shops are fine), pubs generally allow them, and they can go on public transport. A lot of beaches are dog friendly, and there are footpaths all over the place you can take them on to run around as well as parks etc.

Last weekend we had a weekend down in the New Forest, our dogs stayed in a hotel with us, went for long walks all over the place with us, and came to several different pubs with us. We didn't need to leave them in the car once.

HTH.
I have heard of Asian bus drivers and taxi drivers who have refused to take dogs for religious reasons but I haven't experienced that myself.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 5:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Hello,

Can anyone tell me where I'll be able to bring my dog over there? Can they go into shops, on buses, trains, pubs?

How about places where she'll be able to run free, safely off-leash, hopefully in a large area with bushes, fences or something.?

A Google search throws up multiple sites, eg:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/do...y-emoticon.gif
Enjoy life with your dog
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/for...VM_Google_Dogs
https://www.dogfriendly.co.uk/
Old Nov 15th 2016, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Good information!

Old Nov 15th 2016, 9:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/do...y-emoticon.gif
Just be aware that many seaside resorts have dog bans in summer, often April to October, outside these times MOST beaches, though not all, are open.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Australia to the UK in March with our little fella and have found it fantastic for dogs. There are masses of places for them to walk and run.

Beaches usually have restrictions in summer, but these are usually partial bans from our experience, so there will still be part of the beach available.

I work away from home a lot and my wife and dog often come with me and never have problems finding dog friendly hotels.

We find that chain shops don't let them in, but independents do. For example, even the local pharmacy is fine with dogs.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 6:55 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
We moved from Australia to the UK in March with our little fella and have found it fantastic for dogs. There are masses of places for them to walk and run.

Beaches usually have restrictions in summer, but these are usually partial bans from our experience, so there will still be part of the beach available.

I work away from home a lot and my wife and dog often come with me and never have problems finding dog friendly hotels.

We find that chain shops don't let them in, but independents do. For example, even the local pharmacy is fine with dogs.
It's usually the food shops that ban dogs, except for guide dogs.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

<a href="http://www.sherv.net/" target="_blank">http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/do...y-emoticon.gif

Hi We take our Aussie baby girl (our pet dog lol) most places, coffee shops, pubs, the beach, stately homes, beer gardens when on our long walk "stop overs" and she has been made most welcome.....well she is just gorgeous lol
Old Nov 16th 2016, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

elonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond repute

There's a very large industry in the UK for dog friendly holiday accommodation. This extends to B&B's, Hotels, Caravans, Cottages etc. There's lots of options.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Will add, mine went with my wife yesterday to the hair salon. A very nice / glitzy ladies hair place and little fella was very welcome.

Some pubs are exceptionally dog friendly. We stayed near one in Berkshire that has a selection of free dog treats on the bar and there is one in Windsor that is a well known place to eat that will not allow children but will dogs and whose kitchen will happily prep something for the fury member of family to have for lunch while you have yours.

I stayed in a hotel in the highlands the other week and it encouraged people to bring their dogs to dinner on a night.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Will add, mine went with my wife yesterday to the hair salon. A very nice / glitzy ladies hair place and little fella was very welcome.

Some pubs are exceptionally dog friendly. We stayed near one in Berkshire that has a selection of free dog treats on the bar and there is one in Windsor that is a well known place to eat that will not allow children but will dogs and whose kitchen will happily prep something for the fury member of family to have for lunch while you have yours.

I stayed in a hotel in the highlands the other week and it encouraged people to bring their dogs to dinner on a night.
I would have left. Dogs don't belong in eating places.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 10:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
People that take offence to dogs in pubs don't belong in them either IMO.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not all bus companies accept dogs on their buses.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pica
Why? My dog has the run of the house at home - where I eat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.