Regretting it already!

Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Regretting it already!

Originally Posted by franki
That's a good question. Lancashire, somewhere. My dad is in Bispham, Blackpool and we would like to be close to him. The rest of my family and friends are around Burnley and Barnoldswick. It really depends on where my husband gets a job, hopefully it will be somewhere in between those areas. The real problem is finding a school for my daughter. I don't want to put her in a school and then have to take her out if my hubby finds a job somewhere else, so she'll have to have a couple of weeks off and just hope that he gets a job quickly. Fingers crossed!
so you'll be a good lancashire lass then...my son was born in southport

i have fond memories of those sandhills at ainsdale
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It might have made more sense to wait longer and become a US citizen, then decide where to live.

I thought about becoming a citizen very briefly but it was already too late. I really don't want to wait any longer, mainly because of my daughter. I'm sure it'll be even harder for her in a couple of years. Also, my dad's health hasn't been too good, so we're just going to have to do it and hope for the best. If we do decide to return, we'll have to start from scratch.

So, now it's shipping companies etc. It's mind boggling! We've had a couple of quotes but the agents who come to the house don't seem to know what they're doing. Yesterday, we got a quote from Rinkens but the agent who came hadn't even heard of Rinkens. It's a bit scary.
depending on where abouts in the US, citizenship can happen pretty quickly, don't know about that quickly though...but it'll help so you don't have to go through that whole greencard process ever if you want to get back to the states if you end up not liking the UK, or if the kids ever decide to move back to the US in the future etc.

As for moving companies, there's been a few threads on that subject, nothing that recent though, but you might be able to find them and get some recommendations and the like (also search through the USA forums)
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit

My MIL is in Thornton-Cleveleys.
My nephew has just moved to Keighley from Skipton.
I am a Lancs lass too..
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

hi franki, i've been here for 5 yrs and luckily can return to blighty every few weeks and for me it's home. yes you'll see some changes, some for the better and some maybe not so good but then that's the same everywhere. not sure what you mean about your lifestyle...bigger certainly is not always better

prior to living here my usc hubs lived in blighty for 18yrs and loved it and is looking fwd to returning one of these days.

i don't know you so not sure how long it is since you lived or visited the UK but guess you have family/friends in the UK that will be excited about your return and then hopefully your new friends from here will be eager to come visit. maybe you can arrange for a friend of your daughters to come stay in the summer hols and that will give her something to look fwd to.

Be positive even if for the family.... tons of good luck wishes...be sure to keep us posted
not sure what you mean about your lifestyle...bigger certainly is not always better

I totally agree that bigger is not always better. By lifestyle, I really didn't mean material things. I really don't care about having a big house, the one we have here isn't very big, it's more the memories that it's filled with and knowing how much my kids love it. The thought of somebody else living here really upsets me. I do keep telling myself that it's just a house, and the kids will be just as happy in another house eventually. The ease of things here too will be missed, getting into the car through the garage and not having to get wet etc. I'm sure when we get to England, we won't be able to afford a car so it'll be buses. I think I've become a bit spoiled so it'll take some getting used to.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rascal
I am a Lancs lass too..
Small world! I've heard Thornton-Cleveleys is a nice place, one of the places we're looking at, although it may be a bit pricey for us.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Small world! I've heard Thornton-Cleveleys is a nice place, one of the places we're looking at, although it may be a bit pricey for us.
I was amazed at how cheap it was in comparison.
Do you wanna buy my MIL house so we can get our half share now?
Stunning gardens she has. Like summat out of a gardeners world mag!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Lancs lass too..

hiya lancashire lass.....i've heard all about those Pendle Witches
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Hi franki. It's perfectly normal to be stressed right now. You have a lot on your plate with such a big move but you'll manage to muddle through somehow. Just remember a house is just a house....you and your family are what make it a 'home'. So having your family around you and making new memories will soon make your new place a home as well.

I am a USC, married to a Brit and I have no regrets that we moved back to the UK. We no longer have to worry about paying huge insurance premiums for health care. We have a lovely home, work just a couple of miles from home and no longer sit in huge traffic jams. People here are friendly and welcoming and I love it.

If I have any advice it's to avoid the big cities. Pretty much big cities anywhere in the world are expensive and impersonal. I prefer life in a village. Much less stressful.

As for Rinkens. We used them. We had no problems with them and they gave me the best deal of about a dozen companies I researched. They weren't the cheapest or the most expensive, but for the money they seemed to offer the best deal. I dealt with Christoph in California for our move from Atlanta to South Wales. He took me through it all step by step.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
Hi franki. .....
As for Rinkens. We used them. We had no problems with them and they gave me the best deal of about a dozen companies I researched. They weren't the cheapest or the most expensive, but for the money they seemed to offer the best deal. I dealt with Christoph in California for our move from Atlanta to South Wales. He took me through it all step by step.
I used Rinkens in July, and I'd agree with Scout that Christoph was very good with making sure the logistics go well BUT ... (and it's a big but), the local company they sub-sub-contracted to (yes, that was two "sub's") were absolutely downright crappy, and my stuff arrived having fallen all over the container - it was leaning on the walls, fallen upside down, everything. The local (in Wales) shippers were absolutely dumbfounded when they unloaded, they seemed to spend half the morning just shaking their heads in disbelief at what a poor job the NC packing company had done. Miraculously, the overall amount of damage didn't amount to much, financially, but mostly because there were so many niggling things (shoes crushed, journals all folded up, scuffs, etc.) that were not easily quantifiable.

I also received an abusive email from the owner of the local NC company (I was actually cc'd - he had emailed me, Rinkens, and some other company, trying to find out who "hadn't paid") - it seemed they hadn't received payment yet from the company who sub-contracted them, and who were in turn sub-contracted by Rinkens. Having paid my $7,000 to Rinkens, I was a bit pissed off to receive this email.

You have to remember that these international shipping companies are really just a huge conglomerate of independent, locally contracted companies and on occasions the actual hands-on people have almost nothing to do with the company you are actually paying.

Bottom line is that if I were to do it again (and I have NO intention of ever going transAtlantic again!), I'd definitely ask for references for the local (US) company. Bottom line is, though, that Rinkens dropped the ball in their quality-control of the companies they were sub-contracting to.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Brync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud of

That's a good question. Lancashire, somewhere. My dad is in Bispham, Blackpool and we would like to be close to him. The rest of my family and friends are around Burnley and Barnoldswick. It really depends on where my husband gets a job, hopefully it will be somewhere in between those areas. The real problem is finding a school for my daughter. I don't want to put her in a school and then have to take her out if my hubby finds a job somewhere else, so she'll have to have a couple of weeks off and just hope that he gets a job quickly. Fingers crossed!
Hi there,

I hope the move back goes well now that you have made your mind up. You said that most of your family and friends are in the Burnley and Barnoldwick area. If it's any help I have just moved to the States from the Rossendale valley which is about 12 to 15 miles from both and about a 35 minute drive to Bispham.. You get a lot more house for your money in this area (there are several estate agents in Rawtenstal. In addition to this there are plenty of places to rent whilst you get settled. If you're not bothered about apartments, check out Ilex Mill in Rawtenstall.The place is a grade 2 listed building and really secure. If you want to look at house prices in the area, the one of the main estate agents is Weal & Hitchen and they are on the web (I sold my house throughthem before I came to the states). ln addition there are good commuter links with Manchester, Preston and Burnley where there is plenty of employment.

I hoe this is of some help, and good luck.

Brync
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Southport is a really nice place. My dad sings in a hotel there quite often. I can't remember the name of it. I'm looking forward to going there though.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

I was amazed at how cheap it was in comparison.
Do you wanna buy my MIL house so we can get our half share now?
Stunning gardens she has. Like summat out of a gardeners world mag!
I sit for sale? I'm afraid I'd kill off her gardens. That's what happened to the house I'm in now. I don't exactly have green thumbs!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

hiya lancashire lass.....i've heard all about those Pendle Witches
So where are you from? We used to go up Pendle Hill every Halloween and scare ourselves to death. It's so good talking about these things. It reminds me that I really do want to go back.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scout
Hi franki. It's perfectly normal to be stressed right now. You have a lot on your plate with such a big move but you'll manage to muddle through somehow. Just remember a house is just a house....you and your family are what make it a 'home'. So having your family around you and making new memories will soon make your new place a home as well.

I am a USC, married to a Brit and I have no regrets that we moved back to the UK. We no longer have to worry about paying huge insurance premiums for health care. We have a lovely home, work just a couple of miles from home and no longer sit in huge traffic jams. People here are friendly and welcoming and I love it.

If I have any advice it's to avoid the big cities. Pretty much big cities anywhere in the world are expensive and impersonal. I prefer life in a village. Much less stressful.

ust remember a house is just a house....you and your family are what make it a 'home'. So having your family around you and making new memories will soon make your new place a home as well.

Very well put. Thankyou. That's what I've been forgetting. It's nice to hear the positive stories.

I've heard good things about Rinkens before and Christoph does sound very competent. Like :dunroving: said, I think it's the local companies they hire that's the problem.

How long have you been back?
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brync
Hi there,

I hope the move back goes well now that you have made your mind up. You said that most of your family and friends are in the Burnley and Barnoldwick area. If it's any help I have just moved to the States from the Rossendale valley which is about 12 to 15 miles from both and about a 35 minute drive to Bispham.. You get a lot more house for your money in this area (there are several estate agents in Rawtenstal. In addition to this there are plenty of places to rent whilst you get settled. If you're not bothered about apartments, check out Ilex Mill in Rawtenstall.The place is a grade 2 listed building and really secure. If you want to look at house prices in the area, the one of the main estate agents is Weal & Hitchen and they are on the web (I sold my house throughthem before I came to the states). ln addition there are good commuter links with Manchester, Preston and Burnley where there is plenty of employment.

I hoe this is of some help, and good luck.

Brync
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check them out. We need to find my hubby a job then decide where to live from there. Hopefully it wont take too long as I don't want to enroll my daughter in school just to move her again if he gets a job in a different area. I'm just hoping that everything will fall into place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.