Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Reclaim British car licence

Reclaim British car licence

Old Dec 7th 2020, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reclaim British car licence

Having resided in Europe & swapped my UK licence for EU one, when I relocate back to UK what documents/evidence do I need to get back my licence? How long does it take?
Old Dec 7th 2020, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reclaim British car licence

Here we go again...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/movi...icense-935465/
Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnification View Post
Having resided in Europe & swapped my UK licence for EU one, when I relocate back to UK what documents/evidence do I need to get back my licence? How long does it take?
I just had a quick look at the Exchange a Foreign Licence section of the relevant UK government website and the first question is “Are you a resident of Great Britain?”. They define being resident as having a permanent address in the UK which you’ve lived at for at least 185 days. If you answer “no” to the question, you cannot proceed with the application.
So basically you need to drive around on your foreign licence for the first 185 days (you might have to pay a bit more for insurance). Only after that can you apply to exchange the foreign licence for a UK one.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Good point. Thanks.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point

When we arrived back 2yrs ago. All we had to do was get a form from the post office to exchange our license back to our GB license. We were only back a matter of weeks when we did this. You will hand back your EU license and receive you GB license. Filling out the form it will ask for your passport number, which is a I.D. we found it straight forward to do.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honey246 View Post
When we arrived back 2yrs ago. All we had to do was get a form from the post office to exchange our license back to our GB license. We were only back a matter of weeks when we did this. You will hand back your EU license and receive you GB license. Filling out the form it will ask for your passport number, which is a I.D. we found it straight forward to do.
Even with a 185-day wait before applying, it would probably still be quicker than exchanging a UK licence for a French one. Took my husband one year and 3 months!
Old Dec 8th 2020, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=magnification;12943752]Having resided in Europe & swapped my UK licence for EU one, when I relocate back to UK what documents/evidence do I need to get back my licence? How long does it

if you had passed your driving test in the Uk and had a GB license before you had swapped it for a EU license. When you return to live back in the Uk and a UK citizen, you should no problems exchanging it back. On the government Web the 185 days seems to apply if you passed your driving test abroad.
I pass my test in Uk In 1989 moved to canada 2005-2018. Swapped my UK licence for canadian license and on return to Uk beginning July 2018 swapped my license back to Uk licence by end of July.2018

Last edited by Honey246; Dec 8th 2020 at 8:39 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

If I can’t find my foreign licence can’t I just get a replacement Uk licence having passed the test years ago in Uk?
Old Dec 9th 2020, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnification View Post
If I can’t find my foreign licence can’t I just get a replacement Uk licence having passed the test years ago in Uk?
Yes, to replace a lost licence costs £20.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees
Old Dec 15th 2020, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

shokwaverider is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar question. I still have my Paper UK Drivers License from 32 years ago when we emigrated to pastures that at that time were greener. It is still Valid as it only needs renewal after I reach 70. If I return to the UK, can I exchange it for a new style license. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I have a similar question. I still have my Paper UK Drivers License from 32 years ago when we emigrated to pastures that at that time were greener. It is still Valid as it only needs renewal after I reach 70. If I return to the UK, can I exchange it for a new style license. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Yes, very easy to do. My wife and I exchanged our UK Paper DLs which we still had from moving to the USA in 1987.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

shokwaverider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post
Yes, very easy to do. My wife and I exchanged our UK Paper DLs which we still had from moving to the USA in 1987.
Thanks Alan. That is good to hear. If we ever move back to the UK. I would not want to take another driving test.