Reasons For Returning

Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:53 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reasons For Returning

Originally Posted by brits1
Nu Shooz lives in the county of Yorkshire...the one that is nearly as nice as lancashire...lol....

Just read your post about Ireland...never been but I just watched a film on Sky T.V and the scenery was breathtaking...you should also try a trip to the west coast of Scotland....especially Gairloch...it has the most fab. beach would not look out of place in the Caribbean.....G.B does have spectacular coastlines but we do not "bull" it up enough like other countries...and we should...here in Perth there is not a day goes buy when you do not either read,hear,told just how great Aus and espeically W.A....it's good in some ways but it can be overkill and a bit brainwashing.....so maybe we should do that but is smaller doses....and I also do think we should also make it "harder" for migrants to gain benefits etc...just to stop people from thinking the U.K is an easy touch..here in Aus..you cannot claim anything from the government for the first two years (might be more now not sure) you can claim child benefit depending on what visa you have....
So true. Mr David Dimbleby portrays Brtain so beautifully. It is an amazing blend of art, wilderness, people and its history. It shows Lancashire in all its splendour. He clearly adores the UK and sees it with very loving eyes. Wonderful.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:57 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Nu Shooz lives in the county of Yorkshire...the one that is nearly as nice as lancashire...lol....

Just read your post about Ireland...never been but I just watched a film on Sky T.V and the scenery was breathtaking...you should also try a trip to the west coast of Scotland....especially Gairloch...it has the most fab. beach would not look out of place in the Caribbean.....G.B does have spectacular coastlines but we do not "bull" it up enough like other countries...and we should...here in Perth there is not a day goes buy when you do not either read,hear,told just how great Aus and espeically W.A....it's good in some ways but it can be overkill and a bit brainwashing.....so maybe we should do that but is smaller doses....and I also do think we should also make it "harder" for migrants to gain benefits etc...just to stop people from thinking the U.K is an easy touch..here in Aus..you cannot claim anything from the government for the first two years (might be more now not sure) you can claim child benefit depending on what visa you have....
He covers areas in Scotland too. I was lucky to go up to the Highlands once and I was stunned by the scenery. We even found a bag piper (in the middle of nowhere) playing alone. There was no car, nobody around, just stunning mountainous wilderness.....it was so beautiful. I could only compare it to seeing a Masai on an African plain!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
He covers areas in Scotland too. I was lucky to go up to the Highlands once and I was stunned by the scenery. We even found a bag piper (in the middle of nowhere) playing alone. There was no car, nobody around, just stunning mountainous wilderness.....it was so beautiful. I could only compare it to seeing a Masai on an African plain!
I'm convinced bagpipes are intended to be played in the middle of nowhere. They just sound so much better when you are out in the wildies.

I was at the funeral last weekend for Suzy's first dog-sitter and bagpipes were played immediately before and immediately after the burial service. The sky was clear blue (unusual for round here!), and the mountains were right there in the background (the village is in a valley with steep mountains on one side). It was a sound and atmosphere you can't find anywhere else in the world.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:31 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm convinced bagpipes are intended to be played in the middle of nowhere. They just sound so much better when you are out in the wildies.

I was at the funeral last weekend for Suzy's first dog-sitter and bagpipes were played immediately before and immediately after the burial service. The sky was clear blue (unusual for round here!), and the mountains were right there in the background (the village is in a valley with steep mountains on one side). It was a sound and atmosphere you can't find anywhere else in the world.
Chilling and magical and so very unique. And yes, they should be heard across the glen far and wide. I imagine the service although very sad was incredibly beautiful and filled with loving friends and family and even Suzy maybe? Best wishes.

Last edited by lilybilly101; Feb 6th 2010 at 4:13 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm

What you say is great. Do you find that typical in Vancouver? I suppose that means that Vancouver is more attractive to doctors than Victoria. Victoria's not exactly a rural area of low population, but the difficulty in getting a regular GP there is well known. The natural consequence of that is little choice, and that often the ones accepting new patients aren't usually much good unless they're new, or new to the area.
Hi Bev,

I wonder how much of the difference is due to different health authorities. But yeah, I dunno. I'm actually quite surprised about how many new doctors there seem to be lately...
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:36 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Lilly don't stress...if someone likes/ loves a place and you don't then your never really going to agree....
it's true. I like the UK but every time I go for a visit I remember all the things I don't like about it, and weighing it up, those things would piss me off more over time than the things that annoy me about Canada (of which there are plenty)

Though, I still harbour a love for Paris and Edinburgh.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I'm going to Manchester next week for my sisters birthday...whoop whoop
Oh where?...I was in your "neck of the woods" today....watching our oldest have a pre season friendly....drove around afterwards and ended up driving along Marmion....only thing is we did not want to head to Hillary's etc as that is what we always end up doing...drove all the way down to Freo..Cottesloe was way to busy and full of youngsters way to drunk.lol..then when we got to Freo said nope...lets head home...we just did not want to go around the same places again....just felt really caged in so to speak...a friend just asked me what I'd done today and when I told her she said you should be thankful...it's the best coastline in the world...it's pretty in parts ofcourse but there is just nothing to do when you get there..or we have done the same thing over and over again because there is nothing else to do....okay sorry grumble over....I just get fed up of being told how I don't know how lucky I am to live here etc...
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Oh where?...I was in your "neck of the woods" today....watching our oldest have a pre season friendly....drove around afterwards and ended up driving along Marmion....only thing is we did not want to head to Hillary's etc as that is what we always end up doing...drove all the way down to Freo..Cottesloe was way to busy and full of youngsters way to drunk.lol..then when we got to Freo said nope...lets head home...we just did not want to go around the same places again....just felt really caged in so to speak...a friend just asked me what I'd done today and when I told her she said you should be thankful...it's the best coastline in the world...it's pretty in parts ofcourse but there is just nothing to do when you get there..or we have done the same thing over and over again because there is nothing else to do....okay sorry grumble over....I just get fed up of being told how I don't know how lucky I am to live here etc...
Not my neck of the woods anymore though is it

We are staying over in Manchester as it's my sisters birthday, so quite afew of us out on the lash. Valentine weekend too, so may well be very busy. I am so looking foward to it, not been round Manchester since the days of 'Hacienda'
Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:42 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fascinating to find that tubs for labour are considered normal in the UK.

Back in the early '80s I was very active in a woman-centered childbirth movement in Nova Scotia, and one of the things we were advocating for was being able to have a water birth. And birthing chairs and beds. And some other things. The chairs and beds came in, but not the water births.

It's really great that they've become the norm in some places.

Bev
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:59 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm fascinating to find that tubs for labour are considered normal in the UK.

Back in the early '80s I was very active in a woman-centered childbirth movement in Nova Scotia, and one of the things we were advocating for was being able to have a water birth. And birthing chairs and beds. And some other things. The chairs and beds came in, but not the water births.

It's really great that they've become the norm in some places.

Bev
The hospital has no 'altrnative' facilities for mothers to be. It's a narrow bed in a room with a very basic shower and that truly is it. No birthing balls, no tubs, truly nothing to help. It's really unfortunate and has always been like this. As you know they have only just had midwives here in BC and Alberta I believe since 1998 so not many advocates for natural birth.

Water births are fairly common back home these days and birthing centers are wide spread. It's so frustrating that something as simple as a tub could be installed to make a woman's delivery more comfortable and therefore less chance of needing medical intervention!

Does Nova Scotia have midwives? I don't think Newfoundland does. Good for you Bevm. I am shocked and stunned by what I read regarding c section rates and drugs in birth. I'm water all the way....at least that's my intention! It's great to have people like you advocate for natural birth and stop 'some' doctors from getting the needle out and sharpening their knives!

At the moment I'd like to go home to a birthing center or over to the lovely Vancouver Womens. Wonderful place.

Last edited by lilybilly101; Feb 7th 2010 at 4:04 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
At the moment I'd like to go home to a birthing center or over to the lovely Vancouver Womens. Wonderful place.
Cedar Square (the nice birth rooms at Womens) is really lovely, and apparently if you have a midwife you get priority for those rooms. The rest of the rooms are pretty crappy imo.

I talked about this on the other thread, but have you thought about bringing a blow-up pool to the hospital to use as a tub? It's something I and a lot of my home-birthin' mates used for our labours..?